Lucas fuel system treatment

10 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted April 13, 2007 - 04:27 AM

I was just throwing this out.

I had bought a bottle of Lucas fuel system treatment for my truck. The label says Injector Cleaner, but also says it works with any gas engine, even small engines.

Just cause I was bored, I threw 1 oz. of Lucas into 5 gallons of motorcycle gas. First thing I noticed was the pilot adjustment was a bit off. I had to richen it up by 1/2 turn. Not sure why, other than maybe the Lucas is slightly harder to atomize into the air.

After running around initially, I didn't notice much. But, now I'm on my second tank of fuel with the Lucas in it, and my pig seems to idle smoother, has slightly less hessitation, and starts easier cold. My spark plug looks very clean, and the jetting is dead on.

Not sure what you guys think, but it's pretty cheap stuff. A 5 oz. bottle is 3.99 and will treat 10 stock tanks of fuel, (25 Gal). I am undecided on whether to run this stuff full-time.

• goblin127

Posted April 13, 2007 - 05:27 AM

I just put a bottle of that in my old land cruiser,but it hasn't healed it yet.

• DGXR

Posted April 13, 2007 - 07:31 AM

I swear by that stuff and always use it in my bikes. My personal formula for dirt bike gasoline is 5 gal premium, 1 oz Lucas Fuel System Treatment and 2 oz Marvel Mystery Oil. Some have said that the MM will eventually foul my plug but I've used the same plug for 3 years now, regularly check it but never clean it, and the bike starts easily and runs great. Maybe I will replace it one of these years... :thumbsup:

• motopsycho650

Posted April 15, 2007 - 06:44 AM

I thought I'd update this.

Went riding yesterday at IMI motorsports. I've been there 1000 times, so I know how my bike reacts to the terrain & conditions there. Had my 3rd tank of fuel with Lucas crap in it.

Like stated before, my pilot adjustment has to be set a bit richer with the additive. But, here are the other differences I noticed:
1. Easier to start, both hot & cold.
2. Idles smoother.
3. Slightly better response just off idle.
4. Smoother power through the entire power-band.
5. The engine ran cooler. (the coolant in my bottle did not raise as much as normal)
And lastly, I got 5 miles more in before I hit reserve. With my stock tank, normal is 55 miles at that track and I'm on reserve. Yesterday I hit 60.

I'm no expert on fuel additives, but this stuff does what it says it's going to do.

• HawkGT

Posted April 15, 2007 - 07:44 AM

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate. :worthy:

Could it just be the power of suggestion?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted April 15, 2007 - 01:39 PM

I'm now on my second tank full with my truck and it is definitly running better.

• Ferdinand

Posted April 15, 2007 - 02:06 PM

Sounds like it's worth trying.:thumbsup:

• motopsycho650

Posted April 17, 2007 - 10:54 AM

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate. :worthy:

No, it's not. I have that bike 3 years, and put 8000 miles on it. I know how it runs inside & out. At IMI motorsports I have NEVER gotten more than 55 miles out of a tank of gas. Last weekend, I got 60 miles on both days.

I'm having to keep the pilot adjustment richer than I've ever needed it before. Especially since I'm at 5000ft. and run a 70S pilot jet. It's weird the fuel economy is better with a richer setting.

And lastly, the spark plug came out cleaner than I've ever seen it before.

I'm a bit more skeptical about it in my truck. I haven't noticed near the improvement, but my truck does have 170,000 miles on it. It may be running the best it can with it's age.

• spotsboss

Posted April 19, 2007 - 08:20 AM

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate. :ride:

Devil's advocate has a point.

In their advertising, Lucas says, "It Works!" If that were true and you were Lucas, wouldn't you rush to publish lab/scientific verification of that claim?

• bcone

Posted April 19, 2007 - 08:33 AM

Got some bad gas at a mini mart and bike would not run past idle circuit. Threw some acetone in and now it runs fine. Not Lucas but just thought I'd throw this out there.

• goblin127

Posted April 19, 2007 - 08:52 AM

I bought it to clean my injectors out and it was the 1st thing I came to in the store. Seems to be doing something good.

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.