Sand dune advise!!

23 replies to this topic
  • klx300rider

Posted April 12, 2007 - 05:36 PM

I am heading fown to pismo beach next friday on my 426 and my back tire is pretty low on tread. Is it workth buying a new tire for the sand? I dont really want to buy a paddle because chaning all these tires are expensive for me...any advise would be appreciated!

• AlkalineOne

Posted April 12, 2007 - 05:49 PM

a new knobby tracks like sh*t in the sand alone, so a dull one might be a little tough. i do recomend getting a paddle tire and watch this video:

http://www.transworl...1215721,00.html

• witdogg

Posted April 12, 2007 - 05:54 PM

I would defiantly recommend getting a paddle for your bike. I have rode in Pismo one time without a paddle and I will never do it again. I get my tire changed to a paddle every time now, it is worth it. If you are dead set against a paddle I would strongly recommend a new tire. Knobby tires are bad enough out there, I cant imagine what a worn down knobby would be like.

• dwnlowx

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:13 PM

get a sand tire you will want it or you are gonna kill your clutches trying to ride and make sure you lube up your clutch cable real good it will act up

you might wanna change your oil because you will be riding the bike hard <sand eats power>

you might want to get a bigger rear sprocket for the sand and you are gonna need to add links to the chain to go a 51 rear

12 pds of pressure in front tire worked great for me

• BergArabia

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:59 PM

I also recommend paddles they hook up so much better and give a huge traction advantage.
Michelin Baja tires are a compromise however if you need a crossover. They have a good tread pattern for sand.. Not as good as a paddle but much better than a standard knobby..

• ISBB

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:35 PM

if you choose knobbies run about 8lbs of air in it... that will help tremendously. If you choose a paddle go with a 8 cup paddle the cheapest one you can find since its not often you go.

YES sand robs power
NO sand is not hard on your motor
NO your clutch cable will not act up unless its got all sorts of oil and crap in it.
Be smart and wd40 your bike.. pismo rust sucks.

I have been riding in the sand for over 4 years on the same bike. Never lubed a clutch cable had to replace one after 3 years same with the throttle cable. I rode a knobbie for my first 1.5yrs of riding in the sand was a bit more difficult but 8lbs of air will work just fine for you. I have never once had a motor problem with my bike due to riding in sand. I hate it when people go ohhh riding in sand is sooooo bad... barf.. do the proper maintenance and you will be fine. Change your oil and filter before you go and change it when you get back. Constant oil and filter changes/cleanings are key in the sand.. and you will be just fine.

• klx300rider

Posted April 12, 2007 - 08:25 PM

thanks guys!! I think im going to get a cheapo 8 paddle!

• witdogg

Posted April 12, 2007 - 08:34 PM

thanks guys!! I think im going to get a cheapo 8 paddle!

I have an extra paddle just sitting around that you can have. I know you do not want to spend a lot of money so I will try and help you out. Its used and the very end of the paddles are worn just a tad from crossing the road in Glamis. It is still VERY useable, much better than using a knobby. You can have it if you are willing to come and pick it up. Where are you from? I am in Visalia.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted April 12, 2007 - 09:34 PM

You don't need a paddle at pismo!! Get a new tire, like the Dunlop 756 like I have and it works great. I've run both a paddle and a knobbie and I prefer the knobbie at pismo. It's not like there is any huge hills to climb, the knobbie works perfect. A paddle is definitely better in Glamis though.

• witdogg

Posted April 12, 2007 - 09:38 PM

You don't need a paddle at pismo!! Get a new tire, like the Dunlop 756 like I have and it works great. I've run both a paddle and a knobbie and I prefer the knobbie at pismo. It's not like there is any huge hills to climb, the knobbie works perfect. A paddle is definitely better in Glamis though.

You must be a lot lighter than me, I know for a fact that my fat :thumbsup: needs a paddle in Pismo. :worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • klx300rider

Posted April 13, 2007 - 08:18 AM

Im up in san jose...how far is it to your place?

• witdogg

Posted April 13, 2007 - 08:26 AM

I have never been there, I think you are a few hours away though.

Are you going this weekend?

• witdogg

Posted April 13, 2007 - 08:39 AM

I am going to the desert this weekend so I won’t be around. If you PM me your address I will UPS it to you. If I ship it Monday you should get it on Tuesday. Let me know.

• klx300rider

Posted April 13, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Im actually going up next friday the 20th...I will Pm you my address!

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted April 13, 2007 - 02:11 PM

I was in the dunes a few weeks ago and ran a S12 Michelin. I ran 10 lbs, then 8 then 5. At five it was almost like a paddle and turned much better and did not push the front end.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted April 14, 2007 - 09:36 AM

I'm not lighter than hardly anyone riding dirt bikes. I'm 6'3" 260 pounds! As long as the tire is somewhat new, you should have no problems. I've only tried it with a dunlop 756 so I can't say that it works with all tires. It needs to be a soft/ intermediate tire, no hardpack tires.

• witdogg

Posted April 16, 2007 - 08:03 AM

Hey klx300rider, I shipped the tire this morning, you should get it tomorrow.

• klx300rider

Posted April 16, 2007 - 08:27 AM

Thanks Steve!! I owe ya one

• witdogg

Posted April 16, 2007 - 08:28 AM

Thanks Steve!! I owe ya one

Not a problem Danny. Have a fun trip. :thumbsup:

• witdogg

Posted April 17, 2007 - 10:09 PM

Did you get it today?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.