Xl600r generator

5 replies to this topic
  • scotxl

Posted April 12, 2007 - 02:12 PM

Hi, I could not find a section for electrical but recent electrical questions where here so i hope ive posted in the right place, I have just bought a new generator for my 86 xl600r, the generator is model G46, link below, this generator has one extra green wire, this is not in the standard or in the manual schematic. any ideas?

colour are pink, yellow, white/yellow for lights and black/red to cdi.
could this green go to ground/chassis.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Scot
UK

http://www.bbbikesho...nators_139.html

• cleonard

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:46 PM

That is a dual output stator. There are two lighting coils which should be good for 100 to 125 watts each. I'm pretty sure that the stock stator had only a single lighting coil. The black/red is the ignition high voltage source. Use a ohm meter to see which of the wires go to the lighting coils. The two coils should be isolated from each other. You should be fine just using a single coil and wrap the other ends in electrical tape. If you want you could run the headlight on one coil and the rest of the electrical system from the other. You will need another AC regulator to do that.

• scotxl

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:57 PM

Thanks Cleonard
I will do the checks and get it fitted tomorrow, if you could have a look at this page you will see why,it says:

G41 XL600, XL600R, XR600, High-Power lighting (Ignition-Charge coil built in) (single phase)

G46 XR500R, XR600, XL600 R. Replacement for stators with two ignition charging-coils (Ignition-Charge coil built in) (single phase)

the g46 has two small seperate ignition charging coils but stock only has one wider one coil.

http://home.swipnet.se/aba/stators.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scotxl

Posted April 12, 2007 - 05:47 PM

Checked the wires
pink to yellow 80 ohm, charging coils
white/yellow to ground is lighting bit i get no reading
white/yellow to green 80 ohm
black/red to ground 136 ohm

Scor

• cleonard

Posted April 12, 2007 - 09:45 PM

The 80 ohms has got to be the high voltage coil(s) for the ignition, but 80 seems a little low. The lighting coil will be at most an ohm or so.

I guess I got the G41/G46 swaped one on that web page.

• scotxl

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:57 AM

All Sorted, turns out, G46 alternator/ generator has five wires
pink and yellow charging
white/yellow lights, the green wire that is not standard goes to ground/chassis. no lights if not connected.
Black/red to cdi.

Starts way better, spark was weak to begin with and had to be kicked hard with the plug out to see a spark, new generator, not such a hard kick needed to see a spark. I`ll see how it is at the weekend, when hot and dropped etc.

Cheers.
Scot

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.