Oil Overflowing?

5 replies to this topic
  • jtb96

Posted April 12, 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hi everyone. Long time registered lurker with a question on my 2000 426. I know I have to check the oil warm but heres my problem. I started the bike the other day and ran it for only 10-15 seconds. I shut it off and waited prob about 1 minute. Then I went and took off the oil cap and oil just starts flowing out of the top. Lots of it until I put the cap back on. I dont think its supposed to do that! Whats wrong, crank case vent. Please help im getting my engine all dirty!!!

• jtb96

Posted April 13, 2007 - 06:14 AM

anyone?

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted April 13, 2007 - 06:23 AM

anyone?

yah mine does that from time to time as well. Not really sure why though.

What part of MI?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2007 - 08:35 AM

The YZF is a dry sump lube system. During operation, the oil is carried in a tank separate from the engine, delivered to the engine, and then scavenged up and returned to the tank. When the bike sits for a time, oil will migrate to the crankcases due to gravity, and this will make the oil level read low on the dipstick. If you then add oil without first running the engine to return the excess crankcase oil to the tank, you will overfill the system.

Likewise, if you fail to drain both the oil tank and the crankcases during an oil change, but then add in the full amount of oil required, you will also end up overfilling.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted April 13, 2007 - 08:55 AM

The YZF is a dry sump lube system. During operation, the oil is carried in a tank separate from the engine, delivered to the engine, and then scavenged up and returned to the tank. When the bike sits for a time, oil will migrate to the crankcases due to gravity, and this will make the oil level read low on the dipstick. If you then add oil without first running the engine to return the excess crankcase oil to the tank, you will overfill the system.

Likewise, if you fail to drain both the oil tank and the crankcases during an oil change, but then add in the full amount of oil required, you will also end up overfilling.

so we've overfilled....damn

• jtb96

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:02 AM

im in kent city, about 20 min north of grand rapids. I dont think im overfilled but could be. I am gonna change my oil tonite so i guess i will find out. Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.