Baffle affect fuel efficiency?

4 replies to this topic
  • pianoexcellence

Posted April 12, 2007 - 12:42 PM

I have an 04 650l (Dave's mods, de-smog/snorkel, Rejetted 56/158)

I have the small spot welds ground out, and switching baffle in or out is now a 60 second affair.

Question, is there any reason to use the baffle except noise? I fully agree that in sensitive areas like trail rides, stealth is key, but I am taking a long freeway ride coming up, and am trying to figure out what to do...

Is there actually an increase in power? (It feels like it)
Will the motor run too hot?

thanks for the help.:thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 12, 2007 - 01:51 PM

I have an 04 650l (Dave's mods, de-smog/snorkel, Rejetted 56/158)

I have the small spot welds ground out, and switching baffle in or out is now a 60 second affair.

Question, is there any reason to use the baffle except noise? I fully agree that in sensitive areas like trail rides, stealth is key, but I am taking a long freeway ride coming up, and am trying to figure out what to do...

Is there actually an increase in power? (It feels like it)
Will the motor run too hot?

thanks for the help.:thumbsup:

There is a small increase in high-end power, which will be even more (but still slightly) increased if you do some under-seat mods to give the air a better path to the top of the airbox.

I drilled some holes in the side-pieces of the seat frame (the black plasitic) and also some holes in the flat pieces of the seat frame fwd of the airbox inlet.

If the bike is jetted for the baffle out, it should not run hotter (unless you're using the extra power for wheelies).

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pianoexcellence

Posted April 13, 2007 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for answering my questions,

There is one question that I forgot to ask.

Does taking the baffle out affect the fuel effieciency,

Common sense tells me that less restriction will improve fuel efficiency, but a friend says that more air into the engine will take more fuel...:thumbsup:

Any experience in this?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 13, 2007 - 07:59 AM

Its probably a wash.

D

• motopsycho650

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:47 AM

Does taking the baffle out affect the fuel effieciency,

Common sense tells me that less restriction will improve fuel efficiency, but a friend says that more air into the engine will take more fuel...:thumbsup:

Any experience in this?

You may lose fuel mileage. But, with more air, less restrictive exhaust, and proper jetting, you can gain quite a bit of power without any worry of harming the engine. The 650L engines only really have problems when major mods have been done, or if the bike is too lean for extended periods of time.

Removing the baffle without re-jetting will most likely cause it to run lean, and yes, hotter. Because it can breath out better, it wants to breath in more. I'd try no baffle, and a 160 main. Maybe 1/4 turn richer on the pilot screw.

I recommend getting rid of the stock air filter in favor of a TwinAir Power Flow kit. In any case, you probably need 1 size bigger on the main jet, and probably a richer pilot adjustment.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.