Easy way to adjust rear shock??

8 replies to this topic
  • RonO

Posted January 29, 2002 - 05:03 PM

Is there an easier way to adjust the rear shock? The manual says remove the rear frame. There gotta be an easier way. I need to add a little more sag.

Ron

'02 WR426 -- 1.5 hours on it so far :)
Soon to be street legal

• Ronin

Posted January 29, 2002 - 05:17 PM

good aim with a brass punch and a small hammer worked for me. it just took a little patience and time.

Ronin

• Bryce_Senff

Posted January 29, 2002 - 07:52 PM

Make sure you spray the shock threads with
wd-40. I took the airbox out to get to mine, but for a minor adjustment, the drift and hammer
works ok.
BS

• YAMAKAZE

Posted January 30, 2002 - 04:48 AM

If you put the bike on a stand and get the weight off the swingarm, it is easy to spin the adjustment ring.

Bonzai :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted January 30, 2002 - 07:18 AM

I asked the same question a while back. Best/easiest answer?

Put it on a stand and turn the SPRING - just make sure to loosen the lock nut first.

Brian

• BFLee

Posted January 30, 2002 - 11:07 AM

It only takes about 5 minutes to remove the subframe assembly and it does make it way easier to adjust. The only downside is that you need to reinstall the subframe to check the sag. Don't forget to take off the bolt that holds the rear brake reservoir.

• RonO

Posted January 30, 2002 - 12:32 PM

One other question to this. The guy at the shop said the rear shock should loosen up a little once the bike gets broke in. Since I have only about 1.5 hours on the bike is it ok to give it more sag now? Just seems to stiff for me right now. Maybe I need to gain a little weight. :)

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: RonO ]

• Ronin

Posted January 30, 2002 - 12:49 PM

Ron, I my WR426 loosened up quite a bit after the first 15-20 hours. I couldnt beleive how tight it was before break-in and it just......well I could take this in a completly different direction.

Later,
Ronin

• RonO

Posted January 30, 2002 - 02:46 PM

Just got finished loosening it up a little. Spun the collar about a 1/2 inch up. Much better. Hopefully get to ride this weekend.

Now onto adding the E-line multisport kit.

Thanks all,

Ron
:)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.