Baja Designs Tail Light

23 replies to this topic
  • 07XR650L

Posted April 12, 2007 - 11:27 AM

...quick question before I order the baja designs tail light. Does it shine red? In the picture it looks like it is just plain LEDs. This is the light I'm looking at:

https://www.bajadesi...2.aspx?content=

• flyin vee

Posted April 12, 2007 - 12:43 PM

I clicked on the link and the BD home page came up. I don't know which light you are looking at but I just mounted the "XR" style rear tail light on my 07 XRL and it is both a running light and a break light. Hope this helps. OZ

• thouk

Posted April 12, 2007 - 01:46 PM

I had one of their lights. I had the one with the clear lens. It shines red for the light. Like a few others the light eventually had an accumulation of dirt inside. I don't know where it came from. Would I buy another one, no. I like the Drc Edge2. I have had it for a while and no dirt so far. I am also running the led conversion in the stock running light housing and also the Drc phantom light. The last light that I am running is the Signal Dynamics 6" led light strip.All of the lights have both running and brake lights. The top two lights are hooked up to a Backoff Xp so that they do the couple of flashes and then solid and then flashing again. Hope that helps. Tony
Posted Image

http://s141.photobuc...nt=DSCN0542.flv

• thouk

Posted April 12, 2007 - 01:48 PM

I had one of their lights. I had the one with the clear lens. It shines red for the light. Like a few others the light eventually had an accumulation of dirt inside. I don't know where it came from. Would I buy another one, no. I like the Drc Edge2. I have had it for a while and no dirt so far. I am also running the led conversion in the stock running light housing and also the Drc phantom light. The last light that I am running is the Signal Dynamics 6" led light strip, which is just above the license plate. All of the lights have both running and brake lights. The top two lights are hooked up to a Backoff Xp so that they do the couple of flashes and then solid and then flashing again. Hope that helps. Tony
http://s141.photobuc...nt=DSCN0542.flv

• NavyNuke

Posted April 12, 2007 - 05:14 PM

I have the clear lens one as well, its SO DAMN DIM i use both circuits for the running light, and a regular bulb in the stock location for the brake light.

• Rangerfng

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:03 PM

I just installed that tail light along with the crf 450 rear fender. very easy to instal just 3 wires. it does shine red. and clear when off. seems to work fine for me

• Rangerfng

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:07 PM

BD does not reccomand using that light with a stock xrl fender. it has to much of a droop they suggest you use a newer fender

• HawkGT

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:11 PM

I've been happy with mine. As mentioned it does shine red. I've found it to be simple and tough. At idle it isn't very bright (my XRR's electrical system is stock--no battery or anything). But above idle it's bright enough and the brake light is bright.

Sometimes I wear a seperate, battery powered LED clip-on tailight (think: bicycle taillight) on my backback when riding city streets at night. Even a normal street bike can be hard for drunks to see stopped at a stoplight. A skinny DS with a lighting system that was never intended for street use does make me feel vulnerable at times.

Here's a pic:
Posted Image

• philipstjohn

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:33 PM

I've been happy with mine. As mentioned it does shine red. I've found it to be simple and tough. At idle it isn't very bright (my XRR's electrical system is stock--no battery or anything). But above idle it's bright enough and the brake light is bright.

Sometimes I wear a seperate, battery powered LED clip-on tailight (think: bicycle taillight) on my backback when riding city streets at night. Even a normal street bike can be hard for drunks to see stopped at a stoplight. A skinny DS with a lighting system that was never intended for street use does make me feel vulnerable at times.

I have the BD's Quick release set up, and it is bright, in the garage with the lights off. I like the idea of bicycle rear tail lights attached some how in the rear to draw attention of any approaching vehicles... :thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:58 PM

I've got the BD LED tail light with the maier MX fender and it works fine for me day or night.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr500_89

Posted April 12, 2007 - 10:01 PM

yea i have the same one on my bike and its bright as hell even in the day

• hypersthenos

Posted April 12, 2007 - 11:28 PM

I just put the BD setup on my bike. I was concerned about dust accumulation inside the lense as others have reported. I removed the light assembly from it's bracket & smeared clear silicone around the back edge where the clear lense is attached to the backing plate that contains the led's & related electronics. This should cure the problem as there appears to be no real seal between the lense & said backing plate. I reassembled the lense to the bracket before the silicone has cured & wiped off the excess which makes it nearly invisible. Mine is an XR650R so I also placed an LED unit inside the stock lense atop the fender for more visibility. Seems plenty bright.

• 07XR650L

Posted April 13, 2007 - 03:40 AM

Posted Image

This is the light I was talking about, is this the bright one?
I think the clear silicon between the lens and backing plate sounds like a good idea... but this light won't work with the stock fender?

• Rangerfng

Posted April 13, 2007 - 10:34 AM

http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=9476
Just posted pics in garage of tail tight install. good luck

• Rangerfng

Posted April 13, 2007 - 10:37 AM

I have the same exact set up as picture. crf450 fender aND bh LED TAIL LIGHT. It looks and functions well. I turned on the tail light in the pic for you . brake likht is much brighter. if you heed help i wrote it all down in my garage and i will assist any way i can. good luck

• 07XR650L

Posted April 13, 2007 - 06:14 PM

Ranger,

Thanks for the info and pics... your install looks sweet. So would you say that the BD Tail-light is at least as bright as stock? It looks pretty bright in the pics. Two more questions: Is the CRF fender an easy swap? And did you get that at the TT Store as well?

• Rangerfng

Posted April 13, 2007 - 06:36 PM

I got pretty much everything from TT the prices were only a dollar or two more than dennis Kirk and Rocky Mt. I also found it much easier to order from them as well. I also have the detailed rear fender swap in my garage. Is it hard? I think that the fact that i took my time and measured 800 times made it easy, the fact that i was cutting a brand new fender was hard. If you take your time you will be fine. I did run into quite a few problems but i was able to over come them all. and the end result was very nice. It will look even better with the fender bag.

• Rangerfng

Posted April 15, 2007 - 08:09 AM

This is just the tail light on .Seem bright enough the brake light is twice as bright.
Posted Image
Good luck

• jesusgatos

Posted April 16, 2007 - 10:29 AM

I just installed one of these Baja Designs LED taillights and license plate mounts. I really like the way the plate mount fits and looks (really low-profile), but I'm not wild about the clear lense/red LED light. It glows pink, not red, and I don't think it's very bright. Here's a link to the same (or a very similar) LED taillight with a red lense at fourstrokesonly.com.

• jbird710

Posted April 16, 2007 - 10:43 AM

The lens is clear but the LEDs are red for the tail & brake lights. A clear light shines down on the plate area. I've used them on both the Maier and Cemoto rear fenders on my XRL (check my garage for pictures) with no problems. My bike spends more time on the street than trails.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.