Coming off DRZ400 thinking to buy xr650r

6 replies to this topic
  • norm22

Posted April 12, 2007 - 10:13 AM

My main riding will be dirt roads and very little trail riding. The DRZ was good bike but wanted something that could handle highway speeds better. The XR650R should do this? And what all would be needed to make it street legal?
thanks

• KShow

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:01 PM

Id highly recommend the 650r, its about the same weight as the drz,, but has quite a bit more power. The 650 is a do-everything bike that excells at high speed open riding (think Baja 1000) thats what this bike was made for. Just not the most comfortable seat for long distances. Not sure about making it street legal in OK, best bet is usually try to fnd one that is aready legal. Check your local DMV to see if you are allowed to make the swap. If so, call up Baja Designs for their DS kit.

• Billahjack

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:45 PM

You'll like it if you like your DRZ. Last weekend I hit 103MPH according to my GPS on stock gearing. Good luck on the DS conversion or buying a 650R dual sported!

Good things to buy for a XR650R dual sport:
-Clarke (or IMS - Slightly Lower Quality) Gas Tank

-Trailtech Computer if you delete the Baja Designs Speedo (Vapor can run off any voltage source AC/DC on the Bike)

-Dunlop D606 or Kenda DOT legal tires for reasonable off-road/on-road traction

-Aftermarket Bars and Acerbis Handgaurds to reduce vibration (The handguard weight reduces the vibration, Stock steel bars suck)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zook350

Posted April 12, 2007 - 10:04 PM

I had a 91 dr350s and really liked it, but wanted more, the xrr was only about 15 lbs heavierand had better suspention and whole lot more power. finally got it out in the tight single track trails and it was no harder to handle than the dr. rewinding the stator is easy and feels a lot more stable in all conditions. this thing tractors up hills at low rpms but you have some different sounds from the engine to get familliar with. definately happy with the move to the xrr.

• hypersthenos

Posted April 12, 2007 - 11:43 PM

Yep, what everyone else said. For a big improvement for the seat just buy Guts racing soft foam and either re-use the original cover or get a new one. Mucho more comfort. If you're a taller guy go with the tall/soft foam. I'm 5'10" and went with the stock height/soft foam and am very pleased. Or you can spend big bucks for a Renazco. They make a terrific seat but they're over $300.

• motopsycho650

Posted April 13, 2007 - 03:00 AM

Switching from a DRZ to a 650R will be a big jump. The 650R will give you much more performance. Just remember, high performance = high maintenance. Any time you put that kind of tire chewing power on the ground, things will wear out.

Check out http://www.xr650r.us and take heed of the weak spots of the 650R. On my '03, I have had every one of these issues happen to my bike with the exception of the clutch bushing failure (an '03+ has the new bushing). The grease locations should be delt with before you even start the pig up. Trust me on that too, I waited too long, and had to replace a few suspension bearings.

• aos

Posted April 13, 2007 - 10:48 AM

Switching from a DRZ to a 650R will be a big jump. The 650R will give you much more performance. Just remember, high performance = high maintenance. Any time you put that kind of tire chewing power on the ground, things will wear out.

Check out http://www.xr650r.us and take heed of the weak spots of the 650R. On my '03, I have had every one of these issues happen to my bike with the exception of the clutch bushing failure (an '03+ has the new bushing). The grease locations should be delt with before you even start the pig up. Trust me on that too, I waited too long, and had to replace a few suspension bearings.

Don't know that I agree with the first paragraph. The xr650r is one of the lowest maintenance bikes you can buy. Yes, there are a few quirks just like any other bike that should be looked after. I've had mine for 4 years, just a couple of tires, check the right footpeg bolts, check the kickstarter bolt, change the oil every 500 miles or so, clean the airfilter, and ride. I have never had any reliability issues.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.