06 or 07 YZ450

6 replies to this topic
  • WGP

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:54 AM

Does anyone know the differences between the 06 & 07 YZ450?

I can get the 07 for 500$ more than an 06, both brand new...

Posted April 12, 2007 - 09:28 AM

Easier clutch on the 07' and a little smoother motor. Thats all I noticed.

• never59

Posted April 12, 2007 - 10:00 AM

stepped header pipe, wave rotors, i was told by a suspension shop that the front fork is a little bit different? The 07 is much quieter.
Very minor changes if you ask me, i have the 07.
You might want to consider resale value with a bike that is a year newer. Might only be a couple of hundred bucks difference then

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WGP

Posted April 12, 2007 - 10:50 AM

You guys were right.....I went to Yamaha Website and wallaa:

New For 2007:
Replacing the upper cast triple clamp with a light and strong forging, slightly reducing steering head rigidity, and the use of lighter outer fork tubes; lighter wheel rims and light wave-type brake rotors add up to super-accurate, super-responsive steering.

Increasing the length of the rear shock by 1.5mm provides sharp handling. Replacing steel damping adjusters with aluminum ones removes even more weight from the four-way adjustable, titanium-sprung rear suspension unit.

A more rigid clutch pressure plate helps put power to the ground and dissipates heat more efficiently, especially during partial-clutch operation. Shorter lever stroke with 12-percent reduced effort means instant response.

New, titanium exhaust pipe fattens low- and mid-range power while simultaneously adhering to 2007 AMA noise regulations.

This year's ProTaper aluminum handlebar bend raises the grips 8mm for an expanded cockpit. Forged bar clamps reduce weight for superior handling.

(I think I'll go for the 07)

• never59

Posted April 12, 2007 - 11:42 AM

If you are tall you will hate the 06 pro-tapers that come with the bike. I am 6'2 and i ditched the 07 pro tapers that came with it as well

You guys were right.....I went to Yamaha Website and wallaa:

New For 2007:
Replacing the upper cast triple clamp with a light and strong forging, slightly reducing steering head rigidity, and the use of lighter outer fork tubes; lighter wheel rims and light wave-type brake rotors add up to super-accurate, super-responsive steering.

Increasing the length of the rear shock by 1.5mm provides sharp handling. Replacing steel damping adjusters with aluminum ones removes even more weight from the four-way adjustable, titanium-sprung rear suspension unit.

A more rigid clutch pressure plate helps put power to the ground and dissipates heat more efficiently, especially during partial-clutch operation. Shorter lever stroke with 12-percent reduced effort means instant response.

New, titanium exhaust pipe fattens low- and mid-range power while simultaneously adhering to 2007 AMA noise regulations.

This year's ProTaper aluminum handlebar bend raises the grips 8mm for an expanded cockpit. Forged bar clamps reduce weight for superior handling.

(I think I'll go for the 07)

• Thesolidman1

Posted April 13, 2007 - 06:29 PM

I, i was facing the exact same choice. I opted for the 2006. No so much for the $500, but what I have read on the 07, they mellowed the motor down low. I review said "if you like riding your track in only 1 or 2 gears, you will be missing the '06 spec engine". I weight 210 lbs, and wanted the low end.The big improvements to the 2007 is the longer shock to improve turning. The rest is all minor refinements. I looked up the part #'s for the frames, and it is the same for the both years. I have had my 2006 for a week now, and ridden it 3 times. I can't believe how good the suspension is. It does push in the turns, like everyone says. I have raised my forks 10mm (yes, 10) and set the sag, which all helps, but it still could be better. I call Applied today, and spoke with them about the push and the offset clamps they offer. Doug Dubach tested different offsets extensively, and they have found the 24 mm offset helps the problem. I plan to buy the 24mm offest clamps soon, and I think the bike will be good to go.

• Captaincautious7

Posted April 14, 2007 - 04:21 PM

I purchased an 07 and have no complaints. Its very fast and smooth. For the money difference I would buy the 07 because of resale later. Personally, there should be a larger price difference between an 07 and 06. 07's came out 6 to 7 months ago.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.