R&D accel pump vs. ZipTy carb mod

14 replies to this topic
  • xcessjw

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:26 AM

Just recieved this months Motocross Action mag and came across a new carb part for all Keihin carbs on 4-strokes. This is a bolt on mod that sells retail for $199.95 and is supposed to eliminate bogging, coughing and popping as well as facilitate hot starts after a stall as well as curing low speed stalls. MXA tested it and gave it a 5-star {perfect} rating. Has anyone tried this yet? How do you think it would compare to sending your carb to ZipTy? I have a 04 450f and after reading all the positive feedback about the ZipTy mods I was going to send out my carb...now I am just wondering which avenue would be money better spent..as always I appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback.

• flintlock28

Posted April 12, 2007 - 05:22 AM

I'm thinking the exact same thing......on my 04' also. My jetting seems perfect, but I wonder if either mod would make it even more responsive?

• Ga426owner

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:12 AM

here is my 1.25 cents worth of advice....I sent my 03 carb to Zipty and due to the fact that the 03 has no leakjet - they adjusted the squirt the best they knew how, added the emulsuion tube and wired the accel pump as well as their proprietary none discussed tuning. It is a ton better but would have had the extra fine duration tuning if the 03 carb had the LJ. A lot of people added a 250F fuel bowl to the 03 to fix this as it has the LJ. I am thinking about buying this R&D bowl just because I like to try different things - the adj lj on the R&D is cool - but I am not sure if the duration can be better - still researching. So to answer the question - see if your 04 has a LJ. If it does this wont apply to you and my vote is for ZipTy.

BTW I can not find a website for R&D except the watercraft people....what gives:excuseme:

• Yamahafan

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:20 AM

The R&D product is an entire float bowl and AP reservoir replacement, not just an AP reservoir cover.

This has already been discussed:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=482397

However, I think that the MXA review gives credence to the quality of the R&D product, which was previously disparaged.

Personally, I sent my carb to Zip-Ty who installed a new emulsion tube, checked the float height, adjusted the AP squirt, and wired the AP actuator arm (Redbeard mod) among other things. It was well worth $100 + $12 shipping to have these mods done for me. If I bought the R&D float bowl I would still have to adjust the float height, adjust the AP squirt and wire the AP actuator arm myself. I am confident I could do it, but this way I know it is correct because it was done by pros.

P.S. It is 35 degrees and snowing again today in Indy with more snow expected Saturday. This sucks!:thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:24 AM

The R&D product is an entire float bowl and AP reservoir replacement, not just an AP reservoir cover.

This has already been discussed:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=482397

However, I think that the MXA review gives credence to the quality of the R&D product, which was previously disparaged.

Personally, I sent my carb to Zip-Ty who installed a new emulsion tube, checked the float height, adjusted the AP squirt, and wired the AP actuator arm (Redbeard mod) among other things. It was well worth $100 + $12 shipping to have these mods done for me. If I bought the R&D float bowl I would still have to adjust the float height, adjust the AP squirt and wire the AP actuator arm myself. I am confident I could do it, but this way I know it is correct because it was done by pros.

P.S. It is 35 degrees and snowing again today in Indy with more snow expected Saturday. This sucks!:worthy:

We are not taking about the AP cover.....we are discussing the Floatbowl. Also you have a 06 as do I. The 03 did not have a LJ and this is a problem. :thumbsup: Question is does the 04?

• grayracer513

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:46 AM

I'm not sure that I agree that the lack of a leak jet is a problem on an '03 or '04 YZ450. I have NO hesitation in mine whatever under any kind of real riding situation. For the bike to respond faster , it would need to read my mind.

That said, here's the deal. The R&D bowl is an accelerator pump mod. The Zip-Ty mod is an accelerator pump mod AND a re-work of the main circuit, including changes to the emulsion tube. Both will improve the responsiveness on quick throttle openings that is related to accel pump activity, but the Zip-Ty mods will also sharpen actual carburetion in general, and even add a little horsepower in most cases. It does this by altering the droplet size and delivery pattern of the fuel entering the airstream at the main nozzle.

Accelerator pump mods can't do that, and at twice the price, I don't see how you could even wonder which one is the better value.

• TheCure

Posted April 12, 2007 - 08:46 AM

Where can I find the redbeard ap linkage mod?

n/m, i totally noobed that up....found it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted April 12, 2007 - 11:44 AM

I'm not sure that I agree that the lack of a leak jet is a problem on an '03 or '04 YZ450. I have NO hesitation in mine whatever under any kind of real riding situation. For the bike to respond faster , it would need to read my mind.

That said, here's the deal. The R&D bowl is an accelerator pump mod. The Zip-Ty mod is an accelerator pump mod AND a re-work of the main circuit, including changes to the emulsion tube. Both will improve the responsiveness on quick throttle openings that is related to accel pump activity, but the Zip-Ty mods will also sharpen actual carburetion in general, and even add a little horsepower in most cases. It does this by altering the droplet size and delivery pattern of the fuel entering the airstream at the main nozzle.

Accelerator pump mods can't do that, and at twice the price, I don't see how you could even wonder which one is the better value.

I agree grey it is not a big problem - I never meant to communicate this - but with a LJ or the R&D gizmo bowl fine tuning is going to be better than no fine tuning. That is all I meant:thumbsup:

• Ron Hamp

Posted April 12, 2007 - 01:05 PM

Dean just called me today from R@D they just got in some more bowls and are sending a couple out to me testing .This week @ the amateur races in vegas are proving that the bowl is working no bogging from heavy hits off big jumps or through the woops thats where the real issues have been with the faster riders .

• onhitch

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:27 PM

i resolved this bog issue on my 07 by removing my one way valve. instant cure, hard landings included.

• xcessjw

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for all the input...I was leaning towards the zip-ty mod from the price alone...I was just curious as I have never seen the R&D piece before and I wanted to make sure that it wasnt the newest, latest and greatest thing to do. I dont worry about my steed bogging on huge jumps as I am usually in the process of crashing thus rendering a bog un-noticeable. I was more concerned with cleaning up the acceleration and making the bike respond in a more linear way and I think I will be sending the carb to Zip-Ty next week.

• dwnlowx

Posted April 14, 2007 - 10:48 AM

i think im gonna send my carb to zipity i have seen the r@d bowl but the price is way to high for a leak jet,what about the dyno jet fuel bowl i have heard they have a fuel bowl with a leak jet for around a 100 dollars

• twenty34

Posted April 14, 2007 - 04:05 PM

The Zip-Ty mod is an accelerator pump mod AND a re-work of the main circuit, including changes to the emulsion tube. Both will improve the responsiveness on quick throttle openings that is related to accel pump activity, but the Zip-Ty mods will also sharpen actual carburetion in general, and even add a little horsepower in most cases. It does this by altering the droplet size and delivery pattern of the fuel entering the airstream at the main nozzle.

It's kinda interesting - this ZipTy mod thing. I had it done and I'm not convinced. Nice guys and all, but my bike still has hesitation/bog and even with a Dr. D pipe, the low end isn't improved. Flash back to today. I was talking to another rider that had a FMF Powercore header/pipe and he brought up ZipTy. To make a long story short, we both agreed that others have hyped up these mods as he too can't really tell the difference and still want's better low end response. He's a pretty fast rider so I feel he's not some rookie that can't tell either way.

Anyways, just wanted to provide some feedback on this.

• moochie

Posted April 14, 2007 - 04:43 PM

After putting a Rekluse Z-pro clutch on my bike it would at times have some carb coughing issues when accelerating out of a slow tight corner. The Zip-Ty mod totally cleared that up and the bikes runs better than ever! Count me in as someone who's very happy with their mod!

• Ga426owner

Posted April 14, 2007 - 06:27 PM

It's kinda interesting - this ZipTy mod thing. I had it done and I'm not convinced. Nice guys and all, but my bike still has hesitation/bog and even with a Dr. D pipe, the low end isn't improved. Flash back to today. I was talking to another rider that had a FMF Powercore header/pipe and he brought up ZipTy. To make a long story short, we both agreed that others have hyped up these mods as he too can't really tell the difference and still want's better low end response. He's a pretty fast rider so I feel he's not some rookie that can't tell either way.

Anyways, just wanted to provide some feedback on this.

Then you need to send your carb back to ZipTy - and tell Steve you are not happy and your bike is not right. They will stand behind their work.

My carb is dead on no bog no hesitation. So I know that it is not all hype:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.