How hard hitting is the uncorked 07 WR450F motor??????

30 replies to this topic
  • snaggletooth

Posted April 11, 2007 - 11:12 PM

Hey guy's, last week I was shopping for a new bike for my son. He is now up grading from a KLX110 to a TTR 125 e-start with small wheels. While at the dealer I just found out that the '07 WR450F is green sticker, sweeeeeet! I ride way too much through out the year to be restricked to red months.

Anyway, I will be keeping my plated XR650R for dual sport ridding and long (fast) trips. I put a lot of cash into the big XR because I was hoping that big red could be tuned to feel like a holeshot rocket like my buddies YZ250F.

OK, I fully realize that I was trying to make the big 650 into something it will never be! The red pig is suuuuuper faaast. It's great to have that top end speed buit I want something in green sticker that will hit hard from the bottom like the YZ250F. I totaly realize that weight reguardless of engine size has a lot to do with it.

Will the rule "theres no replacement for displacement" make the 07 WR450F feel like it lights as hard as the YZ250F? I'm sure that it's like apples to oranges to compaire it to the YZ450F, but what about the smaller YZ250F? I'm using my budies YZ250F as a bench mark.

I'm not talking about handling I just hope that (after the mod's) the WR450F will feel like it hits as hard as my buddies little YZ250F. Am I asking for something that will never happen with the 450?

I have many years of ridding the big red pig on super tight single track trails and do extreamly well for my 5'06 midget frame. I have waaaay to much fun to feel as tired as most say you would be, doing so on that bike.

I know my tight trail rides will be whole new ball game over the 650 but will it give me that snap I felt when I cracked open the trottle on the YZ250F?

Please be honest, I'm getting one reguardless, I just don't want to be dissapointed when it doesn't do what I want it to do after it's uncorked and properly tuned. Again, I'm only talking about whiplash type accelloration(sp?).

Thanks for your time, Semper Fi, ST.

PS, does the unorked CR450X have a harder hitting bottom end than the uncorked WR450F? Naaaa, never mind, It might be best for me not to know, I'm getting the WR anyway.

• ajetmech

Posted April 11, 2007 - 11:20 PM

Do the free mods, get rid of the AIS system and put a new pipe on it and you wont look back. It is a well versed bike go in the Dez, the track and just lugging around on the trails. I almost got the yzf450 but now I am glad I went with the WR. I ride with my two sons and that kick stand comes in handy when I got to stop and pick them up when they fall or get stuck.

• snaggletooth

Posted April 11, 2007 - 11:34 PM

Roger that on the kickstand! I would put one an any dirt bike I owned, even a hard corps motocross bike. I'm allways stopping to help other ridders, mostly kids, not allways the youngsters. LOL It's a good feeling knowing that your brother ridders are looking out for you, family or stanger it's all the same.

So, can I get whiplash on the (uncorked) WR450F in the dirt?

• ajetmech

Posted April 12, 2007 - 12:24 AM

I love it. It is fast. My bud rides a hopped up CR250 he gets me on the start I catch him in 2nd going to 3rd. 4th I got him after that he is eating some yamaha dust and dodging what I kick up at him. On a dirt road I hit 98 (garmin) 102 (speedo) I had to back off runnig out of safe road to hit full speed. I was only at 85 to 90% throttle. The bike settled in good at around 70 and felt good. My buddy is a die hard moto x guy and set my sag and set my suspension up for me. He says if he was not a die hard 2 stroker he would go WR in a heart beat. I am a 6 foot 220lbs rider and hae not had any problems. I treat my bike like a fine woman and take care of her and dont treat her like traier trash too often. It does good on a track but then again I am not out to clear 100 foot double and back flips. On a standard track it is good. My opinion is that is is a damn good all around bike. I live in the Dez at around 3000 feet at it is great.

• snaggletooth

Posted April 12, 2007 - 01:40 AM

ajetmech, you got me pumped up! I purchased a Yami-blue helmet last week and my complete uncorking kit (ASI removal, JD jet kit, PMB insert, and ZipTy from TT store) is on order. I'm totaly commited to the WR450F and it's not even in my garage yet!

I'm sure that it will not be like the on-off switch that I dream about in a new Cali green sticker bike but I'm still excited. I know that some older (pre Cali red sticker) bikes may fit my bill but I want a new and modern "virgin bike."

The decriptor "smooth power" worries me a little when it's used to describe the WR450F. I know "smooth power" can be very useful in very tight stuff but I want a ripping green sticker bike! I know I'm asking for the cake and a fork to eat it with too. What the heck, one can dream out loud, Don't dog me too much for my desire.

From what I have read the WR450F (barring a working / family mans budget) will be the colsest I will get to complete satisfaction.

I have no chance for a test ride on one to get first hand knowlege, to find out if it is "the bike of my dreams." Besides your, respected, imput it will cost me over $6,600 OTD to find out for sure. I will have a small payement and a very large amount of personal knowlege of the WR450F very soon!

S/T.

• Baja Dave

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:14 AM

I had an 05 YZ250F before I sold it and got an 06 WR450 (same boat as you, wanted something I could dual-sport but that wasn't a pig); power-wise, there's no comparison, once you've ridden a 450 it's pretty hard to go back to the 250 (I mean really, it's like comparing a 125 2-stroke to a 250 2-stroke!). As far as dual-sport, it's great for getting to 1 trail to the next but not much more than that- you'll love it though!

• ButchWR250F

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:48 AM

ajetmech, you got me pumped up! I purchased a Yami-blue helmet last week and my complete uncorking kit (ASI removal, JD jet kit, PMB insert, and ZipTy from TT store) is on order. I'm totaly commited to the WR450F and it's not even in my garage yet!

I'm sure that it will not be like the on-off switch that I dream about in a new Cali green sticker bike but I'm still excited. I know that some older (pre Cali red sticker) bikes may fit my bill but I want a new and modern "virgin bike."

The decriptor "smooth power" worries me a little when it's used to describe the WR450F. I know "smooth power" can be very useful in very tight stuff but I want a ripping green sticker bike! I know I'm asking for the cake and a fork to eat it with too. What the heck, one can dream out loud, Don't dog me too much for my desire.

From what I have read the WR450F (barring a working / family mans budget) will be the colsest I will get to complete satisfaction.

I have no chance for a test ride on one to get first hand knowlege, to find out if it is "the bike of my dreams." Besides your, respected, imput it will cost me over $6,600 OTD to find out for sure. I will have a small payement and a very large amount of personal knowlege of the WR450F very soon!

S/T.

So after you uncork it, change the exhaust cam to a YZ cam, and it'll put the hit back into it. The YZ cam moves the powerband up into the midrange to top end. The WR is tuned for low end to mid. The cam will help.

• Island Boy

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:43 AM

Roger that on the kickstand! I would put one an any dirt bike I owned, even a hard corps motocross bike. I'm allways stopping to help other ridders, mostly kids, not allways the youngsters. LOL It's a good feeling knowing that your brother ridders are looking out for you, family or stanger it's all the same.

So, can I get whiplash on the (uncorked) WR450F in the dirt?

Marcus... Is that you?????

HAHAHAHAHA!

• CSS9961

Posted April 12, 2007 - 09:49 AM

OK, I'm a dufus..... Is there one part number in the store for the entire uncorking kit?

Help me, I'm dumb. :ride: :worthy: :thumbsup: :ride:

• ajetmech

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:47 PM

I think the best thing I did was the White Bro's pipe I got from a friend. I did not think a pipe would do that much for it but it did. I only prob I have is I got a used pipe and after repacking it I am still blowing 102db. I have to add more baffles to it to make it CA legal. Even if you just open up the stock pipe by removing the insert you will notice the differance. I also only use VP 100 octan (1.5 gal) mixed to VP 95 Octan (3.5 gal) and that helps also. If I could afford 7 bucks a gal then I would only run 100 octan in her. My wife says I treat my WR beter that her some times. Then again the WR statifies me for about 5 to 10 hours in two days where as 5 to 6 hours in a week.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snaggletooth

Posted April 12, 2007 - 05:09 PM

Thanks guy's for the input. I got her home several hours ago and had a chance to finally buz her up and down the street a few times. Holly cow is this bike choked down! The great thing is that I can feel the power potential that is being restrickted by all the smog BS. It feel like it wants to rip but is being held back. This thing is going to be just right after I uncork it!

Man, I can feel the power that is just dying to get out of her. I can't wait for all my tun-up goodies to come in!

• jams229

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:13 PM

Regarding your original question, the WR450 will not pull as hard as the
CRF450X. The X has a harder hit off bottom. I have owned both.
However, that being said, the WR is smoother and easier to control off
the bottom, which makes it a better and easier-handling bike in the slick and technical stuff - IMO. You will definitely notice the difference in power vs your XR650 as well.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 13, 2007 - 12:23 AM

:worthy:

I had an 05 YZ250F before I sold it and got an 06 WR450 (same boat as you, wanted something I could dual-sport but that wasn't a pig); power-wise, there's no comparison, once you've ridden a 450 it's pretty hard to go back to the 250 (I mean really, it's like comparing a 125 2-stroke to a 250 2-stroke!). As far as dual-sport, it's great for getting to 1 trail to the next but not much more than that- you'll love it though!

exactly...

A stock WR is pretty mellow, but once you do all the crap to it hang on!!

I've ridden an uncorked/piped 06 and the powerband was like a YZ 250f X2. Seriously, IMHO it was more of a handful than the two CRF 450Rs I've ridden which were the definition of smooth (04&05). It hit hard enough on the bottom to light up the rear tire even a gear high and the transition from bottom to mid was crazy :ride: . The track I rode it on was really tight...I would have loved to ridden that thing on an open trail :thumbsup:

Apparently the 07 needs a full exhaust to get the kind of result a slipon would have yielded for the 05-06 bike. Yamaha put a narrower diameter header on there to increase the bottom end but it killed the top end in the process.

• MojaveThumper

Posted April 14, 2007 - 05:07 AM

If the 07 opens up anything like the 06, you better hang TFO (standard Jarhead abbreviation).

Opened up my 06 and, just WOW! :worthy: After you do the mod's the front end becomes much, much lighter. :thumbsup:

• FastRides

Posted April 14, 2007 - 04:17 PM

OK, I'm a dufus..... Is there one part number in the store for the entire uncorking kit?

Help me, I'm dumb. :ride: :ride: :worthy: :p

This is classic. I'm dumb too, so I can relate. :thumbsup:
Based on all I've read here, the answer to your question is no. The TT AIS Removal Kit does not come with needle, jets, etc (the Yamaha kit does, but the needle is not correct accordingly to a post I read by TT jetting expert, Eddie Sisneros). The other common mods to go with AIS Removal (JD jetting kit, PMB insert / or pipe, etc.) have to be ordered separately- discussed in the "performance mods" thread found here if you haven't seen this already... : http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440372.

snaggle,
When you do the mods, you won't believe the power. Be sure to check that you have the correct air filter cage (with no hole in it- defect on the 07 recalled by Yamaha). Good luck, MG

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 14, 2007 - 04:36 PM

I[COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Blue"] just dropped off my 07 wr450f to have the throttle stop removed(free of charge!) and it's first service. I've uncorked the exhaust and taken out the air box snorkel, however I still can't catch my bro on his 06 wr250f. He has some mods and gray wire cut. His days of being in front are OVER as of Tuesday! I've riden one uncorked all the way and it will make your eyes bleed!![COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 14, 2007 - 04:39 PM

I mean[COLOR="Red"] BLEED[/COLOR]

• SurvivorMan

Posted May 11, 2007 - 06:26 AM

Just bought my new 07 wr 450....after all the usual free mods...she's a little bit of a dog. last year i had the 06 yz 450 and that bike pulled like an ape on steriods off the bottom in pretty much any gear. the power was addicting, even if it was a little much for the Albertan XC's. i've got to do something to get this bike some nuts. i thought that this years wr came with YZ cams and timing and that the oinly difference was gear ratios, ignition/flywheel and the e start?? oh yeah, i also have the leo vince exhaust on it. this thing is huge and i think robbs a little bottom and mid, i might try a powercore. thanks for the help.

• drtbk4ever

Posted May 11, 2007 - 07:23 AM

I[COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Blue"] I've uncorked the exhaust and taken out the air box snorkel, however I still can't catch my bro on his 06 wr250f. [COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Riding around with that original throttle stop is like riding around on a TTR125 so no wonder you can't catch your brother. You are correct that once that is replaced all your bro is going to see is your back side. If he can even stay close enough to see that.

Let er rip.

• SurvivorMan

Posted May 11, 2007 - 01:56 PM

so i guess the WR exhaust cam is different then the YZ's (i thought that for 07 the cams were all the same), so i ordered a YZ cam which should automatically deal with the timing to bring it up to YZ aggressiveness.
the quickshot 2 should help with throttle response and maybe a smaller leak jet.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.