2001 yz426

7 replies to this topic
  • xr-jorger

Posted April 11, 2007 - 08:56 PM

well I sold my xr600 for a 2001 yz426 for $1700 with a blown head gasket....so I am rebuilding the top end with a new cam chain, 450 exhaust cam, new valve springs, and possibly a new piston, (or maybe just rings depending on piston condition) and of course a new cometic gasket kit. What am I missing since it is pretty much apart right now what should I do?

• robg

Posted April 12, 2007 - 12:23 AM

A new Rod?

• SRT426

Posted April 12, 2007 - 02:14 AM

I would first determine if it overheated badly when the gasket blew. You may want to check the bottom end and also for scoring or any heat related problems that could cause a failure later. If you have it part might as well piut in a new piston insted of only rings. New crank and rod bearings would probably be a good idea. Also you may want to have the head checked to see if it warped at all. Alot of my suggestions are for worst case scenario but i would rather know my motor is sound.

• Florida_426

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:01 AM

You really won't know exactly what parts you need until it is opened up and you can assess the damage and take some measurements on play between parts and bearing condition. Odd on a piston kit and maybe the rod/rod bearing are needed. Check the valves carefully, too. Best of luck and keep us informed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:24 AM

As long as you are replacing the valve springs, which is very wise and inexpensive, you should have a look at the valves.

These pictures may help you with that.

• Birdy426

Posted April 12, 2007 - 11:23 AM

Measure the valve guides as well and replace as needed...also replace the seals (they're cheap, too)

• xr-jorger

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:40 AM

well finished rebuild last night, did new valve springs, valves were great, new piston rings, 450 cam and cam chain, did my throttle cables (old ones were frayed pretty bad) a few other odds and ends. I love this bike the power is awsome and with the cam chain it stats as easy as my 600 did. when I finish my plastics, I'll post some pics, with the $1700 and $280 to do the rebuild I think I got a good deal out of it, the guy who sold it to me didnt want to mess with it so I got a decent price. It will now be very well cared for I cleaned the crap out of everything, the power beats my 600 (top end not really but the tade off is worth it) Anyway very please with the bike and looking forward to hitting the deserrt soon!!!!

• LVThumper

Posted May 15, 2007 - 09:08 AM

I must say that I was in your EXACT position last year when I sold my 99 XR600 and picked up a 01 426. One of the best purchases of my life! I miss the couch cushion seat, but that is about the only thing I miss!! :applause: Congrats, you will find it is so much easier to ride through the desert. I think the only thing the XR did better, was wide open through the fire roads. It was dead solid. The draw back was that it was dead solid everywhere else too which made it a chore to move around! Have fun! You won't hardlyl miss the old XR! :applause:

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.