XRL's can't push 70mph for 2 hrs?

45 replies to this topic
  • Quigley

Posted April 11, 2007 - 07:48 PM

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 07 XRL, someone help me on this...
I been reading that CDI failure is common on these bikes, is it?
also is this guy blowing smoke or is it true the bike can't sustain 115km (70miles) for 2 hrs before overheating? never heard that before

• xrlke

Posted April 11, 2007 - 08:42 PM

It can do it, as I have done it a few times with only stopping to fill up every so often. The standard daves mods and 15/40 gearing is all that I did before I rode these distances. The gearing on my bike is because I never take mine offroad, and I also have road tires. Stock gearing is about as short as I would go for any long travel time at those speeds. Never heard about the cdi being a common problem, as after 8600 miles since I bought mine new in Feb 06, I have yet to have any trouble at all.

• martinfan30

Posted April 11, 2007 - 09:17 PM

done it several times at 75mph! only cdi failures ive seen are on pre 2000 models.

• hypersthenos

Posted April 11, 2007 - 11:09 PM

I used to ride mine in the middle of summer round trip from Boise, ID to Spokane, WA on weekends- 1,000 mi round trip with absolutely no problems at all at sustained speeds. No worries. The CDI thing ain't THAT common. Refrain from pressure washing too much & all's good.

• TREADMARKS

Posted April 12, 2007 - 03:30 AM

I don't know about 70, but I know I can keep it around 90 for three hours with no problems.

• Denn10

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:33 AM

I don't know about 70, but I know I can keep it around 90 for three hours with no problems.

YEEAHHHH now thats what im talking about:ride: , BUT im sure your kidding a bit LOL took my first ride Sun and it was WINDYYY man it sucked thought i was gonna get pulled off the bike a few times LOL My XRL is for pretty much street only and i dont think id take more than about 1 1/2 hours till a 5 min brake to rest a bit

• TREADMARKS

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:05 AM

BUT im sure your kidding a bit LOL

:thumbsup: Nope, not kidding. 01XR650L, SM conversion, Clarke 4.7, Hotcams, Edelbrock pumper, FMF power core system, 15/42 gearing. I can get a solid 90 and keep it there as long as I have road. Tailwinds help and headwinds suck. In the republic of south florida people drive 90 all the time, cops don't do sheit. The highway patrol is the only one to look out for, and quite often from homestead to west palm and back you will never see one.

• coolbikeguy

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:11 AM

:thumbsup: Nope, not kidding. 01XR650L, SM conversion, Clarke 4.7, Hotcams, Edelbrock pumper, FMF power core system, 15/42 gearing. I can get a solid 90 and keep it there as long as I have road. Tailwinds help and headwinds suck. In the republic of south florida people drive 90 all the time, cops don't do sheit. The highway patrol is the only one to look out for, and quite often from homestead to west palm and back you will never see one.

thats true ... i was there for bikeweek a couple years ago and we took a trip from daytona over to lakeland and we hauled the mail most of the way. id say 70 on the highway was the slowest we went for any amount of time. closer to 75-80. my buddy was on his 650L i forget the year .. 94 i think ( its a whie one ) and i was on my KLR 650 and neither had a problem except for the seats ... they sucked.

• goblin127

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:51 AM

While I can't say that I've done it I would keep an eye on the oil level.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:57 AM

done it several times at 75mph! only cdi failures ive seen are on pre 2000 models.

MF, do you have solid info on that?

I have an '01, it'd be nice to not worry about that!

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted April 12, 2007 - 08:31 AM

Right on TREAD im hoping for some calm days to try mine somemore CA isnt that easy on 90mph speeders LOL

• Quigley

Posted April 12, 2007 - 09:15 AM

Thanks guys, just noticed he was talking about a 300kg (660lbs) fully laden bike running 15/48 gearing... any thumper'd probably overheat under those circumstances.

• GIANTac1

Posted April 12, 2007 - 05:28 PM

No way buddy. Hit 75-80 for 2+ hours in hot So.cal weather. Then hit the dirt for 3 hours. Nadda problem!

• suicidalbunnis8me

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:47 PM

I have a 06' 650L still stock, unfortunately, and have sustained 70 EASY no problems, no overheat, no excessive oil loss, consistant gas mileage. At 70 for two hours+ I can crank the throttle and it takes off likes it want's more! Goin on highway, offroad and back n forth all day no problems. And I live in the southern Nevada desert + Las Vegas stop n go. Totally satisfied mith my pig. I mean it's not a MX king or a crotch rocket, but I've had zero problems at 1,500 miles so far.

• xrltim

Posted April 14, 2007 - 02:31 PM

I've run mine at 65-75 mph for multiple tanks of fuel, many times. The only problems I've had are from vibration, and my hard seat foam. That bike will go that speed for longer than most people would care to ride it. No overheating even in 90 to 110, no CDI failures, 10k on the bike. Will last a long time with proper maintenance.

• nxridge

Posted April 14, 2007 - 02:38 PM

wouldnt it be impossible to do that ?
70 mph for 2 hours is 140 miles .
unless you change your gas tank from stock , you would
be pushing it that last 50 miles . :thumbsup:

• Whiteman

Posted April 14, 2007 - 02:47 PM

I read on ADV rider the the CDI's go out on these bike. Mine stalls for no apparent reason and it tried to replace the CDI to fix the problem. I replaced the CDI today and went for a little ride and she shalled 1/2 mile into the ride. I now have a spare CDI.

• motometal

Posted April 15, 2007 - 05:23 AM

if this problem is repeatable and predictable to some degree, you might try hot-wiring the kill switch on the right side of the bars and see if that does anything. Sometimes my bike doesn't want to start,I flip that swtich back and forth a few times and it takes off. Never misses a beat once running, but maybe your's is a bit more "faulty" than mine. I have heard of others with a similar "flaky" kill switch.

• mcfly

Posted May 15, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Its air cooled, so I would be far more concerned about overheating at a too slow of a pace, than I would at 70 MPH where it is getting a lot of cooling air movement.

• martinfan30

Posted May 15, 2007 - 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfan30

MF, do you have solid info on that?

I have an '01, it'd be nice to not worry about that!

Dave

no dave i dont. but i do know in all the posts in all the different sites i go to ive not seen cdi failures on actually any newer than 98 or 99 if i recall correctly. not trying to mislead at all!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.