WR426f for Dualsport?

12 replies to this topic
  • arkangel

Posted April 11, 2007 - 05:53 PM

Hello! I want to say thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply.. OK here goes..

I just bought my first bike (2001 DR650se) and I am having a good time so far, but I have decided that I want something a bit lighter and easier manuever in the woods. I have only had this bike for a month, but I have dropped it a few times already and it is VERY difficult for me to get it back up. I live in the mountains of NC where there are plenty of great places to ride, but most of the local spots are for advanced riders. After running into a creek last week and spending a good 30 minutes getting the bike back on the trail I decided to put it up for sale and get something else. I have always loved the specs of the YZF bikes on paper, but I wanted to post here to find out what you guys thought. I have an offer to trade my bike for a very clean 2002 WR426f, but if that isnt the right bike then I could always sell the DR and get something else. Personally I was thinking about the 250f but after comparing the specs the 426 might be a better choice. I plan on riding 2-3 days a week in the woods, and eventually making it street legal to connect the trails. Do you guys think this is the right choice?

http://www.yamaha-mo.../0/compare.aspx

According to the specs the 426 is practically the same weight as the new 450 but it does not have E-start. I also see that it has a 3.1g tank, but some of the threads have said that it doesnt feel as nimble as the newer bikes? I would appreciate some honest opinions about the 426, and how viable it would be as a dualsport. I will definitely give it a test ride before I do anything, but right now I am just researching!

Thanks,
Joseph

• dmoney1074

Posted April 11, 2007 - 06:08 PM

Great bike man, go for it!

• WildRide

Posted April 11, 2007 - 06:24 PM

I have a 01 and love it. The WR is going to make that DR look like a beached tuna boat off road. The WR is suspended MUCH better than your DR, still it is not a motocrosser but not bad and you won't be giving up any power with the switch. The best part is the 426 is a extremely robust, powerful design and has no real design issues (flaws) anywhere, very reliable, just do the basic maintenance and ride and ride, it will require premium fuel though.

• arkangel

Posted April 11, 2007 - 07:00 PM

well that is encouraging.. I think the trade will be pretty much even $$ wise, but the WR wont be anywhere near street legal, and my DR is ready to go. When you are in college and dont have a job a few hundred bucks to tag a bike is a big investment =P I think I will try to get one of those racks to put it on the back of my explorer.

• ISBB

Posted April 11, 2007 - 07:22 PM

too bad your not in vegas i have a 02 ready for a dual sport kit.. :thumbsup: Im wanting a bigger faster mx'er style bike

• arkangel

Posted April 11, 2007 - 08:04 PM

I guess I should add another question to this..

If the previous owner does not have a title, but does have a bill of sale from the dealer how do I go about getting a title? Is this bike still OK to dualsport? NC btw

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dominator426

Posted April 11, 2007 - 11:37 PM

You should just need a safety inspection from the motorcycle dealer, insurance and the bill of sale. My dealer actually got the plate for me and it's registed as a 'standard' motorcycle. (Ontario Canada)
It makes a great and highly capable dual-purpose. With a few mods, mine races away from buddy's 2005 DR650SE, which is only close at top speed near 100 mph (15/47 gearing, 130 rear tire). His runs ok but feels like a drunk cow compared to the WR. 2002 is probably the best year too, last 426 improved till the end, with larger tank and reliable kick-start. Amazing engine, smooth shifting, great suspensions and fuel efficiency (42 miles per US gal). I do have to mix 40% 100 LL aviation gas to prevent pinging. You won't regret though. This is one special breed of a machine.

• lowry

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:48 AM

well that is encouraging.. I think the trade will be pretty much even $$ wise, but the WR wont be anywhere near street legal, and my DR is ready to go. When you are in college and dont have a job a few hundred bucks to tag a bike is a big investment =P I think I will try to get one of those racks to put it on the back of my explorer.

I guess depending on where you live it might not cost that much to make it street legal. I spent about a hundred bucks.

• jsaffordwr426

Posted April 14, 2007 - 11:52 PM

Great Bike...i ride my 01 on the street all the time...may want to change the sprockets for a little better cruising speed though...i'm at 13/45 and she purrs nicely at 60 mph!

• Bamster

Posted April 15, 2007 - 07:31 AM

You would love a 250f more, in the woods.

• arkangel

Posted April 15, 2007 - 08:48 AM

Someone else told me to find a 250f instead.. If you dont mind me asking what makes the 250 better? I was looking at the specs on the yamaha websites and the weight is only 6 lbs difference. The size is also practically the same. Does the bigger engine make it bad for the woods? I plan on changing the gearing to put it on the street, so maybe that wouldnt be as big of a deal?

• WildRide

Posted April 16, 2007 - 08:34 PM

My sons old YZ250F runs smoother (less vibration) than my 426 but it does not have the "rip" the big bike does. For steady speeds and in the woods the 250f would be less tiring, but the 426 would have much better high speed street grunt.

• snowman02

Posted April 18, 2007 - 10:13 AM

02 WR426 here, and absolutly love the bike, best bike i have ever bought to this date. My bike is dualsport plated. Here in Az all i needed was a mirror and rear tail light, had no problems with registering it. You will be extremly happy with the trade. Good luck and safe riding

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.