WR400 timing issues

3 replies to this topic
  • ash105

Posted April 11, 2007 - 05:42 PM

I have reassembled my '99 WR400 after replacing the rings and now I can't get it to fire. I have re-set/checked the timing a dozen times and it seems to be exact but it does have a auto-decomp cam, does this need different timing? I've tried 12 & 13 pin difference. I'm not sure if it is a YZ or WR cam, how do you identify them? this one has 2 punch marks for alignment one I guess at 9o'clock and one at 12o'clock position. The cam was already in the bike and it had been running well. The cam lobes are sitting at the same angle when the marks are aligned with the head. When I try to push start the bike it backfires and won't run and doesn't even try to start when kickstarting. I've checked valve clearence, replaced spark plug etc.

• trickwarrior

Posted April 11, 2007 - 06:56 PM

Are you sure the bike was a TDC when you timed it? Is the bike getting spark when you kick it? Just a couple things to think about. Sorry I don't have a firm answer for ya. Mine is appart right now so I hope I don't run into the same trouble.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ash105

Posted April 11, 2007 - 07:30 PM

I have checked and it is definatly TDC and yes it is getting spark. I have just been out trying again and manage to get a backfire when kicking it over, so have been moving the cams 1 tooth at a time 12 - 13 & 14 pin spacing but still just get a backfire through the exhaust.

• trickwarrior

Posted April 12, 2007 - 02:39 PM

Did you check the marks on the cams a truely flat against the side of the head. Sounds like timing. Good Luck. PS I made my own flywheel puller for my WR today.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.