XR650L: do I have to remove the engine to get head cover off?

5 replies to this topic
  • motometal

Posted April 11, 2007 - 05:01 PM

I knew it was tight, but now that everything is loose and I am trying to remove the head cover with the engine in the frame, it is looking like a no-go. Unless there is a trick I don't know about....sad thing is, i've had all this stuff apart before, years ago and can't remember if I took the engine out or not...

thanks in advance!

• dstark

Posted April 11, 2007 - 06:09 PM

never done it myself but I believe you can loosen the motor mounts and drop it down.

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:11 AM

Yes, it can be removed without taking out the motor or loosening the mounts. You have to make sure the cam lobes are facing down. Once this is done you can rotate the cover around till it slides out. Takes a minute or two to find the exact spot but it will come out. I have done this dozens of times when I worked for Summers Racing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cantregister

Posted April 12, 2007 - 11:33 AM

Yes, it can be removed without taking out the motor or loosening the mounts. You have to make sure the cam lobes are facing down. Once this is done you can rotate the cover around till it slides out. Takes a minute or two to find the exact spot but it will come out. I have done this dozens of times when I worked for Summers Racing.

Do you remember which side it comes out? When I did mine I had to remove the carb and intake tube and slide the cover off the back side.

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted April 12, 2007 - 11:39 AM

I believe it came out the right side but I'm not 100% sure on that. I think you have to remove one or two of the big round caps as well.

• drtlvr

Posted April 12, 2007 - 12:20 PM

I just did mine and I did remove the carb and just the upper head mount,it was tight but it came out,I took it out from the left side as your sitting on the beast.
hope that helps

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.