Who to do Desert Race Suspension?

9 replies to this topic
  • rdahl

Posted April 11, 2007 - 02:19 PM

Barnum, Precision, or Race Tech?? Gonna be used strictly for intermediate level desert racing.

• XR4DEZ

Posted April 11, 2007 - 04:51 PM

Suspension by Jake in Riverside has some good desert settings. My PC suspension was not near as good.

• mjlang

Posted April 11, 2007 - 06:33 PM

Precision Concepts. They don't win Baja every year because their suspensions suck. Just hang on to your wallet, it will set you back 850 bucks.

• XR4DEZ

Posted April 11, 2007 - 07:38 PM

I loved my 600 with PC settings and my 650 was nice too. But the Jake set up on my 650 is much more plush, it floats but doesn't bottum. Buddy of mine turned me towards Jake and his stuff is fine at about 25% less than PC. There are a lot of good suspension guys out there.

• XR4DEZ

Posted April 11, 2007 - 07:42 PM

Precision Concepts. They don't win Baja every year because their suspensions suck. Just hang on to your wallet, it will set you back 850 bucks.

I think they win Baja every year because they're the only factory team that does it. They don't dominate the rest of the desert race series.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted April 11, 2007 - 10:07 PM

I have had most of the big suspenssion setups apart here in SO. Cal. some are down right scary in quality! You can do just as good doing it yourself from what I have had here that Bxxxxm has turn out. I have only had six of his suspensions apart and they were all close to the same work. The Top of the nuts are just ground off flat. dirt, dust and hair have been found between the shims. The nuts do not seem to be torqued to specs. (or even close to the same from one to the next) I have pictures if you would like. Doesn't mean much it's only six but, it is what I found. RaceTech has a lot of great ideas but, lean to a more agressive (MX) type setup in the shims they use. Geat bunch of guys there. Great school! Baja Designs turned out a shock that came apart (shaft retaining nut had no threads) and the rider broke his neck once the shock came apart. I have the shock here. Would not have happened if a torque wrech was used. It's only one bad shock and it could have been just that one guy that wasn't on his game that day. The rider was at one time on this group as well as Yahoo XR650R group and told his story. PC turns out some good stuff $$$$$$ way over priced for what you get but, the three I have had here were the best. I have not had anything from Jake's. There is no major majic to this if you know the shim stack you want, are willing to make the tools and fallow directions. I wouldn't have anyone do the suspension if they will not tell you exactly what they did once there are done. Ask before you have them do the work if they will disclose what they are going to do. The shim stack, everything. If they think it's a majical setup that only they have, move on. You are paying for a sevice not majic. I don't see the need for a gold valve in the shock but, a compression gold valve in each fork or the compression valve drilled out to 3.60mm is a must as is Ultra light fluid.
Look over the pages here:
http://xr650r.borynack.com/
There are several guys that race the Score Baja Races (Sportsman's class) that think the Baja 500 and Desert Race setups are the best. :thumbsup:
I knoiw some here will flame because I dare tell what I have found in other suspension setups that they paid some great wounderful guy to do for them. If you have taken them apart and are happy with what you have found then let others know what you found. These shim stack are for use with the right spring for the riders weight and a weight range from 150~240 as the spring rate goes up so does the need for more rebound control and other adjustments but, the pages give a great place to start.
Posted Image

• HOOLPE

Posted April 12, 2007 - 11:31 AM

i've had suspension done by PC and ESP and they are both very good. I guess it depends on where you live. ESP is in Tujunga and their number is 818 951-9144.

• DJWALS

Posted April 12, 2007 - 02:12 PM

just my 2 cents on suspension.. We are not a factory team but a privateer contender and finished the 06 Baja 1000 on a stock 650R 3rd in class behind both team Honda guys...We ran the Baja 500 with precision concepts suspension.. it worked fine.. The 1000 we had support from Nicoll Racing in San Clemente and Billy Nicoll only charged a third of Precision Concepts and it worked even better. I was surprised at first and then had them do our new Kawi for this season.. The Baja 250 we ran Nicoll Racing suspension on our new KX 450 and once again ,, awesome quality for little$$$... i'll endorse Nicoll racing and recommend them to any Baja or MX guys..
Dan Walsh
Class 22
Look for us at the Baja 500 on Kawi's new 2008 KLX 450...

• BWB63

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:26 PM

just my 2 cents on suspension.. We are not a factory team but a privateer contender and finished the 06 Baja 1000 on a stock 650R 3rd in class behind both team Honda guys...We ran the Baja 500 with precision concepts suspension.. it worked fine.. The 1000 we had support from Nicoll Racing in San Clemente and Billy Nicoll only charged a third of Precision Concepts and it worked even better. I was surprised at first and then had them do our new Kawi for this season.. The Baja 250 we ran Nicoll Racing suspension on our new KX 450 and once again ,, awesome quality for little$$$... i'll endorse Nicoll racing and recommend them to any Baja or MX guys..
Dan Walsh
Class 22
Look for us at the Baja 500 on Kawi's new 2008 KLX 450...

This kind of thing is very common. There isn't a lot to it once you know what you want. With PC you are paying for the NAME. If you get a competent suspension guy that knows the bike and better yet the rider you will get something much better the a 'canned' or 'universal' setup that is better then stock but, nothing close to what can be done. I do best with XR650R's and CR500's/KX500's if I have ridden with the rider then he will get a better setup for him.

• loufish

Posted April 15, 2007 - 10:47 AM

I also had my suspension done by ESP, never touched the fork settings, and loosened up my compression a few clicks and it's great!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.