Those small peep holes on side of motor?

9 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted April 10, 2007 - 05:41 PM

I was wondering on my 06 450f yz.... What are those small round peep hples on the side of the motor(the kick stsrter side). Should I cover them up when I wash the bike?:thumbsup:

• gt2894me

Posted April 10, 2007 - 05:49 PM

That is a drain hole for the spark plug well. You should have a rubber plug on a wire that came with your bike if you bought it new. Put that in only when you wash your bike.
Happy cleaning!

• Dizman

Posted April 10, 2007 - 06:18 PM

Another use for that hole - after removing the spark plug cap and before removing the plug, blow compressed air into the hole to blow out any dirt that may be in there.

• grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2007 - 06:20 PM

:ride: The rod with the hook on one end, and the rubber on the other? That's for lifting out the jet needle. :p :ride: Very creative use for it, though. :worthy: :thumbsup:

Use a golf tee and leave the tools in the tool box.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 10, 2007 - 06:35 PM

That is a drain hole for the spark plug well. You should have a rubber plug on a wire that came with your bike if you bought it new. Put that in only when you wash your bike.
Happy cleaning!

Yea my bike came with that wire with a rubber end on it but I used it to get the jet needle out of my carb but I was wondering why does the sparkplug well need a drain hole?:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Markopolo400

Posted April 10, 2007 - 07:21 PM

Why do you guys plug up a purpose built drain?

• grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2007 - 08:18 PM

..I was wondering why does the sparkplug well need a drain hole?:thumbsup:

Um, so fluids won't stand around the spark plug, short out the ignition, and run down into the cylinder when you pull the plug out, maybe?

The plug boot, effective as it may be, can let water in, and the cam cover gasket, as great a piece of work as it is, could leak oil into the well. If you don't provide a way for it to get out, you'll have trouble.

Why do you guys plug up a purpose built drain?

I rarely bother, myself. But some people like to plug it up when they wash the bike because they think they can drive a significant amount of water into the plug well while the only way for the air to get out of the way is sealed off at the other end. :worthy: There's no harm in it, though, is there?

• Ga426owner

Posted April 11, 2007 - 01:40 PM

If you do not cover the hole with a golf tee before washing or do not blow compressed air into it with spark plug cap off - before removing plug after washing

the plug will rust/contaminate causing trash to fall into your cylinder when removing the spark plug.....a real mess. All it takes is a golf tee to fix this issue.

The drain is there to let debree fall out of it that may get under spark plug cap - with contact cleaner that is:thumbsup:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 11, 2007 - 05:30 PM

If you do not cover the hole with a golf tee before washing or do not blow compressed air into it with spark plug cap off - before removing plug after washing

the plug will rust/contaminate causing trash to fall into your cylinder when removing the spark plug.....a real mess. All it takes is a golf tee to fix this issue.

The drain is there to let debree fall out of it that may get under spark plug cap - with contact cleaner that is:thumbsup:

Wouldnt it be better to take the sparkplug cap off and blow compressed air down to the sparkplug so the debri would either blow upward and even some may come out of the hole.

• grayracer513

Posted April 11, 2007 - 05:32 PM

How much difference would it make?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.