Back to wr timing???

3 replies to this topic
  • dmoney1074

Posted April 10, 2007 - 10:21 AM

Hey all, while I have put the 03' cam mod for my wr426 on hold for now (money issues), i want to change my timing. While I was checking the valve clearances yesterday, i noticed the bike was yz time (12 pins I think). Since I bought the bike used, this is new to me... Anyways, i rarely find myself in the upper rpm range, so its pretty useless to have it yz timed. I ride ALOT of relly tight technical stuff and i feel the stock timing would work for me better....

My question is, will i lose performance, or will the powerband just be moved down?
Also, if i change back to wr time will I have to reshim? My valves are in spec as we speak, so can I just change the timing and go?

Thanks guys!!!! :thumbsup: :worthy: :ride:

• dirtr1der

Posted April 10, 2007 - 12:12 PM

I changed my timing over to the YZ timing when adjusting the valves last season. My very next ride was on the tightest/slickest trail system in Michigan. No problems with too much power (and I'm not the most aggressive rider in the tight stuff.) I'd leave it unless you really don't want the power. The mod changes/increases the power in the middle to upper range of each gear. It should only be an issue if your ripping through the gears, but odds are if your in really tight, technical trails, you've already got good throttle/clutch control and your not constantly wide open. I like it for an extra boost in sandy rollers and whoops. Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dmoney1074

Posted April 10, 2007 - 04:08 PM

I changed my timing over to the YZ timing when adjusting the valves last season. My very next ride was on the tightest/slickest trail system in Michigan. No problems with too much power (and I'm not the most aggressive rider in the tight stuff.) I'd leave it unless you really don't want the power. The mod changes/increases the power in the middle to upper range of each gear. It should only be an issue if your ripping through the gears, but odds are if your in really tight, technical trails, you've already got good throttle/clutch control and your not constantly wide open. I like it for an extra boost in sandy rollers and whoops. Good luck

Its not that I dont want the power, I just really dont use it and it would be better down low.....

• dominator426

Posted April 10, 2007 - 04:33 PM

I love my 2002 YZ timed and would never go back. I find it runs better and offers smoother power delivery, like the engine was primarily designed with YZ valve timing. Low end response seemed abrupt and a bit rough with WR timing. I also had to go down to a 170 from 172 main, with OBEKN at #2 instead of #3 when switching to YZ timing...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.