Schaeffer's 238 Moly Supreme Grease......

8 replies to this topic
  • Ronin

Posted January 29, 2002 - 11:15 AM

I just bought some Schaeffer's 238 Moly Supreme, Synthetic Blend, Extreme Pressure Grease, NLGI grade #2. Is this the correct product to use on my swingarm and linkage??? God I hope so, I just want to get the damn job done right this time. I talked to the people at Yamaha and they laughed at me and said all that Yamaha says is to use lithium based grease, then I showed them the service book and they got all pissed off and everyone walked away from me in the shop. So I went to Honda, and they told me they never heard of it. I then went to the H-D shop, and the head tech uses it at home but they did not have any in stock and he bought a case of the stuff about 10 years ago so couldnt remember where he got it from. Finally I got it from a local Schaeffer dealer.

• SoCalWR426

Posted January 29, 2002 - 06:16 PM

Thata Boy!
You got the best of the best for ol blue..

• AZWR426

Posted February 02, 2002 - 08:11 PM

A question about the grease. Is there a specific brand that is most recommended? My Yamaha dealer didn't distinguish between lithium and moly grease and you guys are right on there is a big difference. They pushed Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease but I read the entire label and it doesn't even specify what base it is!!!! My guess would be lithium but what's the word on this?

• AZWR426

Posted February 02, 2002 - 08:19 PM

PS- In my past life with a 327 Chevrolet engine in a Willy's jeep we used Mystic JT6. It is lithium based with NLGI 2 rating and was awesome for water resistance so we used it bumper to bumper with great success. Anyone heard of or tried it on these bikes? Thanks, Mark

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SealClubber

Posted February 02, 2002 - 08:30 PM

Pro Honda brand sells a Moly 60 paste for about $9 for 3 oz. Part # 08734-0001. This was the only kind of Molybdenum Disulfide grease that my dealer sold. I hope it is the right stuff for Yamaha, cause that is what I am using.

• skthom2320

Posted February 04, 2002 - 05:53 PM

All you really need is a grease with moly ADDED. The Moly acts like tiny ball bearings and reduces the friction. Read the product data sheets for any of the moly added bearing greases found in your auto supply store - they perfectly describe our application. Look at the following link:

(click here)

So don't sweat over it too much. Just go to your local auto supply and look carefully at the ingredients on the labels. I got my "Moly EP" at Autozone for a couple of bucks.

Steve T

Steve T

• streamdream

Posted February 04, 2002 - 05:59 PM

NEVER repeat NEVER use any oil that has moly in it in your bike. Your clutch will think its on drugs.

• SoCalWR426

Posted February 04, 2002 - 06:31 PM

Hey Stream,
That sounds like the voice of experiance :)

• skthom2320

Posted February 05, 2002 - 09:44 AM

Originally posted by streamdream:
NEVER repeat NEVER use any oil that has moly in it in your bike. Your clutch will think its on drugs.

Since this was a thread about grease rather than oil I didn't think to point that out.

Stream is right and I am not talking about engine oil. Rather, the grease for your swingarm and linkage. :)

Steve T

[ February 05, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.