Drilling number plate...necessary?

8 replies to this topic
  • stoneagegixer

Posted April 10, 2007 - 02:48 AM

I see xr650r motards with drilled number plate to allow more air into the air box. Is this a real benefit? I don't ride in the dirt. I've checked a bunch of uncorking threads and couldn't find a proper answer or a mention about it....

• motopsycho650

Posted April 10, 2007 - 04:14 AM

I call it the Super Charger mod. It almost seemed like as much difference as the initial uncorking it's self. I did mine myself. I went with the two large holes & riveted aluminum window screen on the inside. I also drilled a bunch of small holes in the pattern of a "650" above the screened holes. This mod required 1 bigger pilot jet & main jet. I used to run a 168 main & 68S pilot, now it's a 170 main & 70S pilot, and I'm at 5000 Ft. The best part, I didn't loose any fuel economy. The stock bike gets about 80 miles/tank off-road. Uncorked gets about 50. The cut-out air box still gets me 50 miles, with more power.

If you have a Dremel tool & a pop rivet tool, I think the screened holes look cool. If all you have is a drill, think of a cool pattern drill out. Keep the holes small so large debris can't get in. The plastic strings a lot when drilling it, so most of your time will be cleaning off all the strings.

If you don't ride off-road, this is almost a downfall free mod. If you are in the dirt, be prepared to clean your air filter 2-3 times as often. When you wash your bike, or trailer it a long distance, cover the holes with duct tape. It's kind of a pain, but it's better than soaking your filter. I guess you could get a second side plate & swap them out, but that's pricey.

There is a good rule about engines. The more air the better, IF you can provide the fuel to match it.

• flyin vee

Posted April 10, 2007 - 04:16 AM

It allows more airflow to the carb. You might have to richen up the carb a little to make up for the extra air. Good luck, OZ

• Kawabuggy

Posted April 10, 2007 - 04:45 AM

Anybody have any pictures of a bike with a drilled number plate?

Is this something that might benefit the XR600's as well??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stoneagegixer

Posted April 10, 2007 - 11:31 AM

Thank you guys for the advice. Funny that this mod is not mentioned that often. Is there such as thing as too many holes in it? I guess I'll just look at pics of other mods and copy those....

Lubos

• BCBrouwer

Posted April 10, 2007 - 12:10 PM

I put 2 large holes in it like team honda, but find it has a momentary bog now, unlike before. this is with jetting as well (185mj, sea level) I cover it over a bit with duct tape and it hesitates less and has more pull. go figure, maybe I need a 190! I also run a uni filter w no backfire screen.

• BCBrouwer

Posted April 10, 2007 - 12:13 PM

http://www.4strokes....h/honda/airbox/

some pics of the mod.

• Kawabuggy

Posted April 10, 2007 - 05:07 PM

I looked at the pics. For some odd reason I was thinking of the number plate as the headlight surround. I guess I can be a goof some times. I was wondering how in the heck drilling the headlight surround could get more air to the carb. Now I get it. It's the NUMBER PLATE! Okay.. I still have to ask if this mod would work on an XR600R???? Or is it just not worth the extra hassle?

• motopsycho650

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:11 AM

Thank you guys for the advice. Funny that this mod is not mentioned that often. Is there such as thing as too many holes in it? I guess I'll just look at pics of other mods and copy those....

Lubos

Like I said, as long as you take the time to match the jetting to the amount of air, there is no such thing as too much air. A supercharger or turbocharger on a car pump air into the engine, so it can get more than a standard intake will allow. The computer then adds more fuel to match the air, and you end up with a bigger, more powerful explosion. NOS has the same effect. Nitrosoxide injects huge amounts of oxygen into the intake. Those kit also come with a fuel injector to add the needed fuel to match the O2.

I put 2 large holes in it like team honda, but find it has a momentary bog now, unlike before. this is with jetting as well (185mj, sea level) I cover it over a bit with duct tape and it hesitates less and has more pull. go figure, maybe I need a 190! I also run a uni filter w no backfire screen.

I'm willing to bet you need a bigger pilot jet. Try a 70S pilot jet. I'm at 5000 ft. and I'm running a 70S pilot. I've given it a lot of air though. I've never rode at sea level, and I don't know how your engine is set up. If you have a stock engine, that seems way too rich on the main. I'd be willing to bet you need a 70S -72 pilot jet, (not sure if a 72S is availible), a 175-178 main jet, and the needle on the 4th notch from the top.

Here is my side panel:
Posted Image

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.