What would you guys do? (suspension topic)

17 replies to this topic
  • dawg2227

Posted April 10, 2007 - 01:48 AM

love my yz, power is awesome, but dang, my honda rode better. i keep trying to get my yz to handle like my honda. i've got springs for weight, but i'm still bottoming out easily, and my forks are still really harsh and 'thuddy'. when i 'g' out at high speed in the whoops or just crossing an abrupt wash, the steering totally jack knifes, it doesn't rebound symetrically up and down, like my honda did. that thing, i could bottom it, and it always came straight back up, all i had to do was brace for the impact. on my yz, i have to brace and then try to keep the bars straight. what suggestions do you have?

thx!

• Ga426owner

Posted April 10, 2007 - 04:29 AM

love my yz, power is awesome, but dang, my honda rode better. i keep trying to get my yz to handle like my honda. i've got springs for weight, but i'm still bottoming out easily, and my forks are still really harsh and 'thuddy'. when i 'g' out at high speed in the whoops or just crossing an abrupt wash, the steering totally jack knifes, it doesn't rebound symetrically up and down, like my honda did. that thing, i could bottom it, and it always came straight back up, all i had to do was brace for the impact. on my yz, i have to brace and then try to keep the bars straight. what suggestions do you have?

thx!

one word "revalve":thumbsup:

• dawg2227

Posted April 10, 2007 - 06:49 AM

ok, thx man!!!!

• 642MX

Posted April 10, 2007 - 08:16 AM

I sent my suspension to this guy http://www.smartsuspension.com. My bike has never handled better!

• aedwards07

Posted April 10, 2007 - 12:05 PM

What year is your bike?

• dawg2227

Posted April 11, 2007 - 05:52 PM

2006 yz450

• youngr24

Posted April 11, 2007 - 06:33 PM

Sent mine off to Factory connection for a revalve. rides like a Cadi know.
2006 yz450f

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 11, 2007 - 08:10 PM

I run my stock valves. My suspension guy set the gold valves just werent that much better. But he did tighten them, he said they have all been loose from the factory. I set mine up very stiff, even for my springs (.54 front and 6.4 rear) with heavy fork oil. He said he has them as stiff as he can make them right now. Then I dailed in my clickers and AWESOME. Have someone hold your bike while you act like you are riding it. Make the motions like you are going through the whoops and have someone watch to make sure the bike is coming back up even. If not, adjust clickers accordingly. I am no MX pro or anything, in fact I am an offroad guy and a slow one at that... but my suspension set up is absolutely perfect. :thumbsup:

• dawg2227

Posted April 11, 2007 - 10:45 PM

thats cool, how much did that run you? and what exactly did they do, and do you know what little parts they added?. i've got factory connection springs, so that should help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dawg2227

Posted April 11, 2007 - 10:46 PM

cool thx for the info

• Ga426owner

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:26 AM

Gold Valves are not the ticket here...a full revalve is from a reputable Suspension tuner:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• matts06yzf

Posted April 12, 2007 - 03:54 PM

thx!

One Word ENZO

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 12, 2007 - 05:37 PM

Gold Valves are not the ticket here...a full revalve is from a reputable Suspension tuner:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am not being a smartass, I really dont know.Would'nt Gold Valves from Racetech be considered a revalve from a reputable suspension tuner. :worthy:

• bigbluerider4life

Posted April 13, 2007 - 06:18 AM

I am not being a smartass, I really dont know.Would'nt Gold Valves from Racetech be considered a revalve from a reputable suspension tuner. :thumbsup:

not really, they're just a drop in part that they try to make work for a lot of people when susp should be custom tuned for you

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2007 - 08:13 AM

Gold Valves are not a complete, set up valve, but a valve body on which your original or modified shim stack is installed. The Gold Valve is built on the assumption that the stock valve body has inadequate flow through the ports to function properly. According to TT'er DaveJ, who has done more work with improving single chamber KYB's than anyone I've ever heard of, this is just not the real problem with that fork, and because of that, they don't really accomplish much.

• yzfireguy

Posted April 13, 2007 - 03:35 PM

A susupension guy up here in OR did my 06 front and rear for around $360 and oh god what a difference. I haven't ridden with the newly revalved shock yet. But the fork was amazing! Just like butter!! This should of been the first modification I made. trying out the shock at a XC tomorrow.

• dwnlowx

Posted April 14, 2007 - 10:24 AM

i had race tech do my suspension and it is perfect ,they really suck for customer service, but i did the springs a revalve with gold valves and they claim they did a few other things as well

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 15, 2007 - 09:12 PM

not really, they're just a drop in part that they try to make work for a lot of people when susp should be custom tuned for you

Gold Valves are not a complete, set up valve, but a valve body on which your original or modified shim stack is installed. The Gold Valve is built on the assumption that the stock valve body has inadequate flow through the ports to function properly. According to TT'er DaveJ, who has done more work with improving single chamber KYB's than anyone I've ever heard of, this is just not the real problem with that fork, and because of that, they don't really accomplish much.

Thanks fellas. Another one to notch up to the knowledge on TT. :worthy: :ride: :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.