Tire question...

14 replies to this topic
  • Thumpmeister

Posted April 09, 2007 - 09:30 PM

Alright, we all have come to the know that 650R will go through rear tires like a fat kid through ice cream.

Now, the question is, who has had the best luck with what as far as wear goes, and in what terrain. I'm looking to get a new tire that will last longER then what I've had, but still be good in all terrain.

The majority of my riding is in Eastern Washington, where it can go from trails, to soft sand/desert, to shale/rocks, etc... Right now I run a Maxxis Maxx Cross IT, 120/100-18, and haven't liked since the day I got it. I thought I would because its an intermediate tire, but it sucks. Its squirrly in the slick stuff, digs and spins in the soft stuff, and throws chunks of rubber when I get in anything at all rocky. The only time its done well is when I'm actually riding on like boulders, but thats very rare...

I have always ran the M12 in the past, and have always liked it, but it wore down so fast. I went through 2 of those in a year, and got the maxxis thinking it would last longer, and it did, but it sucked in almost every terrain I took it in.

Now, my room mate just got a dunlop 752 on his CR 250, and has had GREAT luck. That tire hooks up in ANYTHING, and hasn't chipped ANY of the knobs off yet in the same areas where I've thrown tons. Its depressing cause I'm supposed to have the hill climbing bike, and his kills mine.

Anyway, who has had any luck in longer lasting tires that do a good job hooking up in the soft stuff? 752? Or should I go back the M12? Thanks

• Alex 400

Posted April 09, 2007 - 09:55 PM

were you running the desert version or the regular version? THe desert model I/T has a stiffer carcass and a harder compound to combat chunking and abuse from big bikes

• LeadDoggy

Posted April 10, 2007 - 05:28 AM

I'm also running the Maxxis MaxiCross intermediate tire and don't like it either. Next tire will be the Maxxis Desert model. Went with the Maxxis because I hear it will last longer. Last few tires were Dunlops. They worked great, but I was also looking for a longer lasting tire.

• creeky

Posted April 10, 2007 - 06:04 AM

The Pig is going to eat up any tire pretty quickly, the Pirelli MT-16 lasts as well as any and hooks up on a variety of surfaces.

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 10, 2007 - 09:17 AM

Yeah, I must have had the normal model, not the desert, because my tire looks like took a chipper-shredder to the knobs. The middle ones have lasted pretty long, but it doesn't hook up worth crap in anything soft.

I know the brp is gonna eat up tires, but is there anyone else out there who has had luck with anything else?

• Agent2

Posted April 10, 2007 - 10:21 AM

When it comes to back tires for the 650R, I think you can have a tire that hooks up good but won't last, or a tire that lasts but dosen't hook up good - nature of a bike that can spin the rear wheel in fifth gear.... Personally I like the Maxxis IT Desert, lasts a long time but not the best for hooking up, especially in wet conditions.

• RhedF350

Posted April 10, 2007 - 10:54 AM

I'm putting a new rear tire on today...I have used Maxxis and Pirellis and Dunlops. The best one on the pig so far is the D739 Desert AT Dunlop. I ride in the hard desert really rocky stuff and the same thing when it's snowy or wet. When I got back from today's ride and looked at the rear, I noticed that the blocks all are worn but no tearing. I've had it on since December and ride about 25-40 miles about 3 times a week.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted April 10, 2007 - 01:41 PM

Rhed...

Have you tried any other dunlops? It seems that they seem to hold up the best in rough conditions, cause my buddy has the 752 on his 250, and not only does he hook up better than me, but his tire still looks pretty new after rototillering up some pretty rocky hills.

Whats the rating on the 739? Intermediate?

• RhedF350

Posted April 10, 2007 - 01:48 PM

The 739 works good in the hard dirt here. I had a stock 756? on the back and I liked the way it stuck, but it wore fast and when things dried out it really disappeared. So, I think the 739AT is hard terrain. I'll look when I go to the shop in a few and see what they say. The other riders here ride sandy whoops with fewer rocks, so they would know.

• RhedF350

Posted April 10, 2007 - 07:06 PM

OK, went and put on a Maxxis desert. I think it's called a Desert IT. We'll see, it's one I haven't tried yet. I'll ride in the rocks Thursday.

• LoopyJones82

Posted April 10, 2007 - 07:17 PM

Alright, we all have come to the know that 650R will go through rear tires like a fat kid through ice cream.

Now, the question is, who has had the best luck with what as far as wear goes, and in what terrain. I'm looking to get a new tire that will last longER then what I've had, but still be good in all terrain.

The majority of my riding is in Eastern Washington, where it can go from trails, to soft sand/desert, to shale/rocks, etc... Right now I run a Maxxis Maxx Cross IT, 120/100-18, and haven't liked since the day I got it. I thought I would because its an intermediate tire, but it sucks. Its squirrly in the slick stuff, digs and spins in the soft stuff, and throws chunks of rubber when I get in anything at all rocky. The only time its done well is when I'm actually riding on like boulders, but thats very rare...

I have always ran the M12 in the past, and have always liked it, but it wore down so fast. I went through 2 of those in a year, and got the maxxis thinking it would last longer, and it did, but it sucked in almost every terrain I took it in.

Now, my room mate just got a dunlop 752 on his CR 250, and has had GREAT luck. That tire hooks up in ANYTHING, and hasn't chipped ANY of the knobs off yet in the same areas where I've thrown tons. Its depressing cause I'm supposed to have the hill climbing bike, and his kills mine.

Anyway, who has had any luck in longer lasting tires that do a good job hooking up in the soft stuff? 752? Or should I go back the M12? Thanks

i ride a YZ250F and although i dont run through tires as often as you, i seem to find that the D756 (front and rear) is my favorite tire. it's good in everything and has pretty good wear. its soft enough that it gets excellent traction, yet hard enough to not chunk apart... i ride in anything from deep sand and mud to rocky hillclimbs... ALL different terrain... and this tire hooks up everywhere... i will never venture from Dunlop because i know what a great tire they make... if i were you, id get the D756. but if you ride in sand as much as you say, it might be better to buy the D773. good luck man :thumbsup:

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 11, 2007 - 05:32 PM

I did a bit of research, and I'm gonna get the 952; that seems to be the best bet for what I do. Since I ride almost every terrain imaginable, I need a good universal tire, and it seems that hte 952 will do that. Its patterened after the 752, but is a intermediate/hard compound to prevent chunking. And it looks like the knobs are far enough apart to give good traction in the soft stuff.

If anyone is interested, I can report back on what I think of it after its maiden voyage...

• brad21

Posted November 02, 2007 - 02:58 PM

What's the verdict? I'm looking to replace a Michelin Baja on the BRP.

I ran a couple of Desert IT's on my DRZ and liked them. Seemed better than the one 952 I ran in the rear and better than the Trakmaster 2. I seemed to get a lot of flats with a 952 in the front.

Best bang for the buck was a pair of Sakura Dirt Sharks. Not sure they would work well on the BRP though.

• philipstjohn

Posted November 02, 2007 - 06:38 PM

What's the verdict? I'm looking to replace a Michelin Baja on the BRP.

I ran a couple of Desert IT's on my DRZ and liked them. Seemed better than the one 952 I ran in the rear and better than the Trakmaster 2. I seemed to get a lot of flats with a 952 in the front.

Best bang for the buck was a pair of Sakura Dirt Sharks. Not sure they would work well on the BRP though.

If you are looking for a good DS tire, the 606 has preformed well for me. Not the best for Off Road, but wears well on road and is good in the dirt. It depends on what you plan to do most.

• Billahjack

Posted November 02, 2007 - 08:01 PM

I think you need a tire that is more oriented towards soft conditions if you are mud bogging or cutting through forest trails on your 650R. I used to mountain bike all over on the west side of washington and I know that I would rather have a lighter bike for those conditions. The 650R isn't made for those kind of conditions with its weight and power.

Out here in the desert, the Maxxis IT's work pretty well. I used to run dunlops (752 or something, 739, 606) but they wear out faster than the maxxis.

I haven't tried the desert IT yet but it has the same tread pattern as the maxcross and therefore should have the same poor performance in the slippery stuff. There is a IRC tire with taller knobs that the dirt bike store was pushing. I might try that next time.

Right now, I'm running the maxcross IT rear and a michelin s-12 front. The grip is really good out here. The front sticks well without washing out and the rear doesn't overpower the front traction when powersliding around and out of corners. I still have great grip for hill climbs and rocky stuff.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.