Anyone chop their fork springs??

9 replies to this topic
  • KShow

Posted April 09, 2007 - 05:22 PM

I have a 01 650r, and I am looking to do the suspension (Borynack style). Im wondering if anyone has chopped their stock spings and used spacers instead of buying new spring? How much do you cut them? What do you use for spacers? Geared up Im right at 200lbs. so Im going with a .45kg fork, and 10.0kg shock spring.

My thought process is if I buy new springs, Im just going to throw away the stockers,, might as well try to cut them just to see if I can do it real cheap. Then add new springs later if I dont like the results.

Thanks

• BWB63

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:11 AM

I have done this several times on many different bikes and it seems you have to cut a little more then calc'd out. A little over 2" is about the limit you can cut and use spacers before you get spring bind at full compression. That seems to "Feel" like under .47kg/mm like it was suppose to be. We have messured this and it is close to .46kg/mm (hard time getting a true messurement) Hope this helps. Don't forget that almost .25" is spring that is not being used, that you are cutting off.

http://www.off-road....ech/2002spring/

http://www.xr650r.borynack.com/

Posted Image

• KShow

Posted April 18, 2007 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the advice, froze my fingers riding to work today,, supposed to be cold for a bit, so bike is being torn down now

• rockn6gs

Posted April 19, 2007 - 09:58 AM

BWb are you Bruce B?? If so Thanks for the help. the fork page on www.xr650r.borynack.com Has some great info about compression valving..:thumbsup:

I have done this several times on many different bikes and it seems you have to cut a little more then calc'd out. A little over 2" is about the limit you can cut and use spacers before you get spring bind at full compression. That seems to "Feel" like under .47kg/mm like it was suppose to be. We have messured this and it is close to .46kg/mm (hard time getting a true messurement) Hope this helps. Don't forget that almost .25" is spring that is not being used, that you are cutting off.

http://www.off-road....ech/2002spring/

http://www.xr650r.borynack.com/

Posted Image

• ganshert

Posted April 19, 2007 - 10:23 AM

yeah...

next time I'll read the whole thread first

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KShow

Posted April 20, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Just did the operation today,, went real easy. I took just a hair under 2" off, only takes a couple minutes with a torch and bench grinder. Better to go a bit long,, you can always take more off,, havent seen an article about welding springs back together to make them longer.........I guess we'll see how it works when I figure out what I want for valving, and find the shims to do it with. Thanks again Bruce

• BWB63

Posted April 23, 2007 - 07:38 AM

I am working on making aluminum spacers for the XR650R that will hold the spring and fit in the cap. That will cut out the noise in the forks........lots. When you cut the springs and put a spacer in the spacer rests on the side of the fork tube most of the time as dose the spring and makes noise. If I get around to making the shims I will make them a standered size of 50mm, that will have perch to hold the spring, perch to fit into the fork cap.

• KShow

Posted April 24, 2007 - 09:05 PM

I found my solution, bushings from an old Yan ski lift. Almost the perfect size, length was perfect, diameter could have been 0.5mm more but oh well. put everything back together today, except to make it easier to tighten the locknut on the piston rod, I put the spacers in under the spring. I couldnt think of any reason not to, other than getting them out later might be a PITA. Cant wait to ride it to work tomorrow

• Supplicate

Posted April 25, 2007 - 09:52 AM

I found my solution, bushings from an old Yan ski lift.

I can't begin to tell you how many parts from Yan's lifts are on different projects around my shop.

You work on a ski resort by chance?

• KShow

Posted April 25, 2007 - 09:43 PM

Yep,, Snowmaking Mgr for the place on the hill..... by the way,, took the bike out today for the first run on the rebuilt forks, it was awesome,, eats up the small stuff that used to really rattle me, and still feels good on the bigger high speed stuff. Cant wait to give it the full test at Johnson Valley this weekend

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.