Help me decide

11 replies to this topic
  • 05600rr

Posted April 09, 2007 - 04:54 PM

I bet these threads get very annoying, but im getting down to the wire and I need some help picking a bike.

I started out riding dirt a long time ago on a 1988 cr125. The bike runs to this day on the ORIGINAL piston. Starts after 3 kicks.

I few years ago I baught a CBR 600rr, had an absolute blast on it, but I am starting to loose the thrill and get more and more scared with colorado drivers, and people on there :censored:ing cell phones. I want to trade my RR over for a trail bike.

I have a pretty decent amount of dirt experience and would consider myself a solid all around rider. I am sure I can handle a 450.

Now I have been reading a lot about the class I am looking at (wr or X or EXC)

Now I have so much faith in hondas, and I REALLY want to stick with one, but I hear so much about the WR being a stronger bike, just as reliable. Don't hate me.

What the hell should I do?

• Bamster

Posted April 09, 2007 - 05:08 PM

Now I have so much faith in hondas, and I REALLY want to stick with one, but I hear so much about the WR being a stronger bike, just as reliable. Don't hate me.

I have no faith in the CRF's and are anything but reliable.They are not like the old trusty XR's. My WR has been solid as a rock but my next bike will either be a KTM or a Husky.

• Kahuku Spoiled

Posted April 09, 2007 - 05:59 PM

Hey Bamster I'm in the same boat...I was leaning toward the WR450F, but just finished reading the "Dirt Bike" off-road 450 shoot out and the KTM 450XCW is there recommendation...I'm a little disappointed in Yamaha's approach since you got to do some much to uncork it...just seems ridiculous to me...the KTM only needs the jet notched back a couple and it's ready...they also said the HondaCRF450X is good to go out the door unless you're going to compete...so, I'm back to trying to figure out which is best for the buck...any help out there

• Tough Guy

Posted April 09, 2007 - 07:08 PM

The WR is a solid performer. I really enjoy riding mine, and can't imagine riding anything else.

As far as the uncorking comment, the AIS kit was $40 and the dealer did the install as part of the prep package.

Chris

• FastRides

Posted April 09, 2007 - 07:22 PM

I'm with Chris on this one. I just got the 07 and have only cut the throttle screw (had it done while valves were being checked at 10hrs, which were spot on), pulled the grey wire and pea shooter (easy). These mods alone unleash the beast- I can't imagine what a pipe, opening the air box and jetting will do (when my skills are actually ready for them). Also keep in mind that this bike was intentionally built this way to be "green sticker" compliant in California, hence it's corked up nature.

Don't get too discouraged with the mods. With very little effort, you'll have yourself a blue rocket. Buy one and feel good about it. :thumbsup:
MG

• CJ06WR

Posted April 09, 2007 - 07:55 PM

Hey Bamster I'm in the same boat...I was leaning toward the WR450F, but just finished reading the "Dirt Bike" off-road 450 shoot out and the KTM 450XCW is there recommendation...I'm a little disappointed in Yamaha's approach since you got to do some much to uncork it...just seems ridiculous to me...the KTM only needs the jet notched back a couple and it's ready...they also said the HondaCRF450X is good to go out the door unless you're going to compete...so, I'm back to trying to figure out which is best for the buck...any help out there

These free mods are easy to do. There's nothing like tearing into a brand new bike to open her up. Sure you shouldn't have to, but I got to know my new toy by doing these free mods. The other way to look at it is you can get use to the bike before it has balls to the walls power. I came off of an XR400. These two bikes can't even be compared. My 06 has plenty of power and has been 100% reliable.

All of these new 4 strokes need some work. I read the same article in "Dirtbike" and am sure the KTM is a good bike. Even with the KTM it was suggested to adjust the position of the needle. It is not much harder to replace the jets and cut or replace the throttle stop on the Yamaha. Thanks to everyone on Thumper Talk, it is very easy to find step by step instructions on how to do these mods.

Your best bet would be to ride each bike before you decide. Check with your dealer and riding buddies. I have no regrets with my choice, but the guys riding orange or red will tell you the same.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chiefsfan.58

Posted April 09, 2007 - 09:03 PM

Mods are easy to do and do help you get familiarized with different parts of the bike that some may normally be nervous to mess with. People cry about them and so do the magazines but it really isn't a big deal. I love my '05 and will keep it if I can but my next ride will probably be the KTM if they keep up the good work. Every bike you may want, will have some tweaks that people think are a must...... just do your homework and ride everyones different bikes you can before you buy if possible. If nothing else, it may tell you what you DONT want.
peace

• Baja Dave

Posted April 10, 2007 - 06:11 AM

I don't know if the KTMs are all they are cracked up to be either; 2 of my buds just bought the new 525s; they aren't real pleased with the power out of the box, same as a WR, you can't get your pinkie down the end of that pipe and a new one end to end is $1200 Cdn. Like the other guys have said, I had fun doing the mods on my 06 and it hasn't given me any problems. I had the valves checked this year, 1st time @1200 Kms and they were perfect. Heard that isn't always the case with the Hondas...

• crosstx

Posted April 10, 2007 - 07:11 AM

the WR seems to be a bulletproof bike, that is what my next bike will be. If you are still running the original piston on your '88 CR 125 then a WR 250 would last you another 20 years no prob.

but you could get a XR and light it on fire, throw it down a hill, and still prolly ride it home.

• GCannon

Posted April 10, 2007 - 08:19 AM

Buddy of mine has a KTM 520 mxc 2002 with less miles than mine his has about 4000 miles. while riding along the timing chain broke bike stopped. bike went to shop then complaining started $2200.00 later new (or rebuilt) head new piston new cylinder new chain new chain tensioner.

When was the last time you heard of that happening to a WR.

Timing Chain is now a maintance item on the KTM (anually)

• texashart

Posted April 10, 2007 - 09:06 AM

The choice was purely economical for me. I'm not brand loyal, just product loyal. I have a Honda VFR, Yamaha Grizzly ATV and a WR450F. I couldn't find a 'DEAL' on a KTM when I was shopping, and for the price I paid for the 07 WR, I basically got a new rear spring, free helmet, free Sidi boots, JD carb kit, fuel screw, AIS kit etc. for free. Still having money left over... I don't think the premium paid for the KTM is worth it. Not short term and not long term either. Like others have said, getting the WR to rip your arms out and wheelie in the first 3 gears is nothing more than an hour of your time. Chances are the KTM won't be sprung for you correctly, nor jetted 100% for your needs. The DOT version of the KTM is cool, but again a comparable kit for the WR is less than $400.00. Either way I think you're better off than buying a Honda or a tractor. Whoops, I mean Kawasaki... :-) If you're close to Texas or Oklahoma you can pick up an brand new crated WR450F for $6399!! Altus Motorsports FTW!

Texashart

• chiefsfan.58

Posted April 10, 2007 - 04:17 PM

but you could get a XR and light it on fire, throw it down a hill, and still prolly ride it home.

:thumbsup: :worthy: that comment is hilarious and true at the same time......

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.