first ride!!!! and 2 other ?'s

7 replies to this topic
  • black in RI

Posted April 09, 2007 - 03:15 PM

wow.. i finally got the 650 on the road
( i out on new rims an d17's on it and upgraed the brake rotor to make it an asy swap between commuter bike and part tiem dirt bike)

wow... holy torwque! i mean i went for one lap around the block but wow! i found myself startign in 2nd mostly so as to not pop the front wheel

some small issues as i have to get it "inspected" by RI

1- that exhaust is loud( stock) anyway to get it temporary quieter to apss inspection(90db) and then a more lng term solution with not getting a new exahust? loud exhaust = unwelcome attention from town cops

2- horn its not working.. mayeb a new one or check the wiring

3- the biggest issue. turnsignals/ headlight.

at normal idle with no headlight on the turnsignals/ brake light work great however......
with the "low" headlight brake light is not strong enough and the turn signals barely work( long pause between flashes)
i plan on gettingthe stator rewound , wil that aid in the scenario??

but the biek is still wow...!!!

• hypersthenos

Posted April 09, 2007 - 08:02 PM

Yes, the stator rewind will cure your electrical problems. With it the battery is basically not necessary as long as the engine is running. I've upgraded to a 55/60W bulb and handwarmers. Even at idle everything works great. I too had a non-working horn with my Baja Desingns DSK (bought by bike used with the kit already installed). I replaced the horn with a BD replacement because I knew it was compact. It has a really cheesy sounding beep to it. Next time around I'll search for a similarly compact unit through an auto parts store when this one fails (seems to be a common problem). Make sure you've got juice to the horn first though to rule out wiring problems. I knew my horn was bad because it made a barely perceptible "click" when the button was pressed with the engine off (only way I could hear it). Hope that helps.

• philipstjohn

Posted April 10, 2007 - 05:07 AM

Yes, the stator rewind will cure your electrical problems. With it the battery is basically not necessary as long as the engine is running. I've upgraded to a 55/60W bulb and handwarmers. Even at idle everything works great. I too had a non-working horn with my Baja Desingns DSK (bought by bike used with the kit already installed). I replaced the horn with a BD replacement because I knew it was compact. It has a really cheesy sounding beep to it. Next time around I'll search for a similarly compact unit through an auto parts store when this one fails (seems to be a common problem). Make sure you've got juice to the horn first though to rule out wiring problems. I knew my horn was bad because it made a barely perceptible "click" when the button was pressed with the engine off (only way I could hear it). Hope that helps.

FYI- I was out riding and the horn bracket broke on the BD's kit. With the adjustable holes on the "strap bracket", I was able to re use it by flipping over and re bending it. As I tightened it up, and tested the horn it did not work. (It work before) What I found is that if the nut on the rear of the horn is too tight, the horn will not sound, and just click. By adjusting the nut's tightness, the horn began to work again. :thumbsup:

• hypersthenos

Posted April 10, 2007 - 09:49 AM

Boy, I wish I'd have known THAT before spending $20! Thanks for the tip.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gchidest

Posted April 10, 2007 - 02:22 PM

Do you have a certain style of dual sport kit on your bike? Baja Designs? Trick dual sport? Homemade? A higher output stator will deffinately help but make sure if you have a battery on the bike or not. You don't need one but if you have one, you will probably want to have the stator rewound as a dual output mode for both ac current and dc current. I just bought a ricky stator stator and am very happy with it and my trick dual sport kit. At idle, the lights do not dim at all even when turn signals are on and brake light lit.

• black in RI

Posted April 10, 2007 - 03:11 PM

i fixed the horn issue
At first i wasnt sure i had a horn
Then i found it
Then i realized it wasnt connected
Then i couldnt find hte connections
Then i connected it and it was wussy
So i went to autozne and bought a generic car horn and made a bracket to hang it from the handlebar.( u need horns with the drivers in RI)

nt sure if i have a "battery"
there is a pack of Ni cad batteries under the seat i'l have to lok agian tomorrow..... god i feel like such a newb... i know most about sportbieks but dirtbikes are new beast.

• gchidest

Posted April 10, 2007 - 03:23 PM

Make sure you get a manual from honda. They help out a lot. If you worked on sport bikes, this bike will be simple for you with a manual. Check out this site for a stator http://www.rickystator.com/. They are about as cheap as having your stock stator rewound (unless you do it yourself), and you have your stock stator as a back up. They also have great customer support if needed.

• hypersthenos

Posted April 11, 2007 - 11:22 PM

That Ni cad setup is what comes with most dual sport kits. If you have a Baja Designs setup there's an online wiring schematic on their site for more info. A fresh Ni cad will likely cure your slow signals for a while but a higher output headlight will quickly tax that setup. Go for the higher output stator and keep the battery for safety reasons. Most states require that your headlight will operate with the engine off for a period of time anyway.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.