First Ride '06 YZ450 - Off Road - Wow!!

11 replies to this topic
  • cardoc

Posted April 09, 2007 - 01:50 PM

I have been back and forth from 2 strokes to 4 strokes, from electric start pigs, to valve eating CRFs. Finally, I think I'm in love. I rode an '06 YZ450 with off road suspension on some gnarly trails yesterday and bought an '07 today! (anyone want to buy a YZ250?). This thing has NO vibration, starts with a light smooth kick, turns like it's on rails - yet feels planted, and tracked on the rough stuff like a champ. I was very impressed. Light and fast! I didn't want to give it back! The bike I rode happened to have a Rekluse, which I must admit was very nice when chunking up some rutted, rocky uneven big hills. I am still worried about the durability of these things, but man do they work nice! (The Rekluse that is). The bike is rock solid, and from my experience, these 4 stroke Yamahas seem to hang in there for the long haul. I can't wait to go ride some more!!

• xcape

Posted April 09, 2007 - 05:40 PM

I still say wow every time I finish a ride:ride:

• Idaho_Stas

Posted April 09, 2007 - 09:35 PM

Me too! '06 YZ450F LE w/ a Rekluse and lots of other goodies. Best trail bike I've ever ridden.

Make surey you raise your forks to the 5mm line (on the '06). Makes a world of difference.

• the go-devil

Posted April 10, 2007 - 03:29 AM

I just took my new 06 out for its maiden voyage trail ride on Sunday. I can't believe the difference compared to my 04. The transmission and the feel of the low center of gravity made it worth buying the 06, not to mention all the other bling on it. The motor seems to lug down better and isn't as violent as well. I think Yamaha really did an excellent job on their redesign of the 450:worthy: :thumbsup: The aluminum frame feels good too. I always felt like I was riding a 10 ft. long I-beam with wheels when riding CRF450/250Fs

• MRSRacing

Posted April 11, 2007 - 06:31 PM

How do you compare your YZ 250 to this bike? What do you like better, etc.? What year YZ do you have. Curious of your opinions between the two.

I just picked up an 02 YZ 250 and couldn't be more impressed. Would like to pick up a 4T at some point and think the YZF450 may be the way to go.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 11, 2007 - 07:54 PM

Me too! '06 YZ450F LE w/ a Rekluse and lots of other goodies. Best trail bike I've ever ridden.

Make surey you raise your forks to the 5mm line (on the '06). Makes a world of difference.

Same here. I have had the Rekluse for over a year now and lots and lots of hours. I ride a ton and I ride pretty damn hard (dont mistake that for riding fast). I totally love my setup, its an offroad monster.

Here is some of my other favorite mods

Rekluse rear hand brake
Suspension set up for my fat ass
18" rear
FasstCo Flexx Handlebars
52T rear Ironman Sprocket
TM Designworks Chain Slide n Glide system
GYTR Skid Plate
Power Madd Handguards
IRC Vulcanduro tires
Clarke 3.2 Gallon Tank (coming soon)

:thumbsup: :worthy: :ride: :ride: :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Idaho_Stas

Posted April 11, 2007 - 09:00 PM

How do you compare your YZ 250 to this bike? What do you like better, etc.? What year YZ do you have. Curious of your opinions between the two.

I just picked up an 02 YZ 250 and couldn't be more impressed. Would like to pick up a 4T at some point and think the YZF450 may be the way to go.

I own both an '03 YZ 250 and an '06 YZ 450F. Both are awesome bikes and loads of fun. I couldn't part with the 250 when I moved to the four stroke last year, so I kept it as a back up bike and let my 16 year old son ride it. Although the 250 definitely feels lighter, and has that 2-stroke snap, I have to say I have adjusted well to the 450. The '06 makes so much usable power and is so ridable, it feels like I'm cheating when I ride. Both are awesome bikes, but unfortunately, my 250 doesn't get out of the garage very often.

• YZfamily

Posted April 11, 2007 - 09:17 PM

I too have an '03 YZ250 and a '06 YZ450F. My comments are pretty much the same as yours! I'm hoping to get the 250 out of the garage soon!

• MRSRacing

Posted April 12, 2007 - 03:05 AM

I have ridden an 06 and only have ridden on 03 450 down the road. I have a friend with an 06 that hopefully I'll be able to try out in the woods one day soon.

• cardoc

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:47 AM

The YZ250 is more of a "ride". You are busier - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. You are up on the tank, then back, then standing, and lots of shifting. I mean if you are out riding, you may as well ride! But... the 450 ooozzes smoothness and traction. No drama. Gear it down two teeth (two teeth larger in the rear) for the rough stuff, run second and third gear for most trails and enjoy the ride. I may be faster on the YZ250, but I'm having a better time (with no vibration) on the 4 fiddy. Smooth, fast, torque, powerful. And it seems to "hook up" better on loose ground.

• grayracer513

Posted April 12, 2007 - 08:02 AM

The YZ250 is more of a "ride". You are busier - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. You are up on the tank, then back, then standing, and lots of shifting. I mean if you are out riding, you may as well ride! But... the 450 ooozzes smoothness and traction. No drama. Gear it down two teeth (two teeth larger in the rear) for the rough stuff, run second and third gear for most trails and enjoy the ride. I may be faster on the YZ250, but I'm having a better time (with no vibration) on the 4 fiddy. Smooth, fast, torque, powerful. And it seems to "hook up" better on loose ground.

Going back as far as I can remember and before, 4-Stroke singles have always had an edge it finding traction where traction is bad. This is in comparison to two-strokes, 4-stroke twins, or whatever else. The way a thumper delivers power naturally lets the tire bite better.

As far as the new YZ450 goes, I don't know how many of you can relate to this, but most dirt bikes are like fast, agile, but inadequately trained horses. They have to be made to do whatever it is you want them to. The YZ450 is like a well trained quarter horse, where all you have to do is turn it loose and stay on top. It seems to know what needs to be done, and wants to do it, even enjoys doing it, the way a good dog instinctively herds stock or flushes game. There's so much less effort involved with riding an '06-7 that it's really unbelievable at first.

• cardoc

Posted April 12, 2007 - 12:55 PM

Well said. I was blowing up a loose sand wash yesterday that I have been up lots of times before on different bikes. On the '07 YZ450 I could just kind of gently lean it over into the loose sand corners and hammer the throttle and the thing just tracked through on a perfect arc with no drama, no dig in and regroup, no spinning and shredding. Just lay 'er down and apply right wrist, listen to that fantastic engine sing, and next thing you know, your wondering how you got through that turn lookin' like a pro. (or at least feeling like a pro).
I can't wait to ride again this weekend and get to know this bike some more.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.