YZ450 springs rates

7 replies to this topic
  • Chad_Yzf

Posted April 09, 2007 - 12:19 PM

Hey guys, Im picking up a 07 YZ450 this weekend and i really need your help.

Im 265 LBS with gear. Im going to swap out the front fork springs and rear spring with stronger rate springs. Im just lost on what sizes i need. Im doing a lot of trail riding and some dune riding and small jumps. should i consult to a suspension shop or do any of you good folks have a good idea on what i need.

And when i have the forks torn down is there any other mods that i should do or should i be good with everything stock - springs.

Thanks, Chad

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2007 - 01:56 PM

Try the springs first. Race Tech recommends .50 in the front, and 6.0 in the rear.

• Chad_Yzf

Posted April 09, 2007 - 04:26 PM

yeah im going to try them out at first and see how it is. Im going to see what i can do with the clickers and see how i like it.

Another question. When you go to buy fork springs do they come in pairs?

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2007 - 04:31 PM

Yes, they do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 09, 2007 - 08:26 PM

yeah im going to try them out at first and see how it is. Im going to see what i can do with the clickers and see how i like it.

Another question. When you go to buy fork springs do they come in pairs?

Get ready to swap springs. I wiegh 270 now and was fatter last year. I run .54's in the front and 6.4 on the rear. I run them as stiff as I can. They are perfect for fast trails and the smallish jumps (40 ft. and under) that I ride. I was worried that as I have lost wieght (30 lbs so far) they would be too stiff, and at some point they will be. But for now I am gaining enough speed to make up for it. Anyway, the stockers will be way too light for you. You can try playing with the clickers but at the end of the day you will need stiffer springs to really make it right. Enjoy the bike, its a sweet one. :thumbsup:

• Chad_Yzf

Posted April 10, 2007 - 03:03 AM

Thanks guys, i got a good idea what i need to do now.

• Thesolidman1

Posted April 13, 2007 - 06:33 PM

I beg to differ. If you buy the optional rate OEM springs from Yamaha ( and I would recommend it because the range for rate variance is MUCH tighter than aftermarket) they are one each. You would have to buy 2. Aftermarket ones come in pairs, though.

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2007 - 09:29 PM

If you buy the optional rate OEM springs from Yamaha ( and I would recommend it because the range for rate variance is MUCH tighter than aftermarket) they are one each.

And each one is nearly as expensive as a pair of Eibachs. Believe me, there isn't that much difference in quality, if there's any.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.