How slow can you go?

13 replies to this topic
  • rooster wrooster

Posted April 09, 2007 - 11:56 AM

The reason I ask is because I went riding with my '06 450 in tennessee a couple of weeks ago around the tellico ohv area and most of the trails were rocky. Not just the innocent unobtrusive rounded off or flat rocks that you tend to ignore, but the sharp pointy, stabby kind that will hurt you even if ride over them right. So most of the day was spent in 1st gear trying to go around them with varying degrees of success. There were many spots that keeping your balance and using the clutch was extremly hard to do. Just the act of lifting my fingers off the bar to clutch was enough to throw my balance off and make me stop, stall, or crash. (sometimes all three) When riding some of the harder trails, using my gps, I found that I could go as slow as 6 mph in 1st gear without clutching. That may seem slow but it would have been nice to go about 3-4 mph without having to clutch.

I have read about people putting the heavier flywheels on which, among other things, allows you to go slower without stalling or using the clutch. I have not found any hard numbers, only things like "you stall less", or "its great for trails". So how about it, what modification did you do, and how much slower can you go? Real numbers that you have seen with your bike only please.

• new2blu

Posted April 09, 2007 - 01:30 PM

I don't have any real numbers--but my stock gearing was too high when the bike was new. I wasn't able to go slow enough without constantly clutching. So 1 tooth lower on the front helped a whole lot; for really tight stuff maybe 1 less (13tooth) and a few more to the rear sprocket would make it crawling speed.

• cardoc

Posted April 09, 2007 - 01:33 PM

Sounds like a candidate for a Rekluse.

• cardoc

Posted April 09, 2007 - 01:35 PM

By the way. I am picking up an '07 tomorrow and I find myself in this situation from time to time. Did you have any overheating issues? I think gearing it down (one tooth smaller on the front) as mentioned above would be a good start - and if that's not enough, look into the Rekluse. But let me know about the overheat or lack of...

• kxman

Posted April 09, 2007 - 01:44 PM

If I was going to spend the day going 5 mph on a bike I would not be buying a YZ450F. Even if you get the bike to run that slow the suspension would not be good and it will get hot. These bikes are not made to be ridden this way. The conditions you are talking about sound ideal for a trials bike.

• rooster wrooster

Posted April 09, 2007 - 01:45 PM

Its only spewed coolant once and that was on repeated back to back 3rd gear wide open slow sandy hill climbs on an 85 degree sunny day. I don't know what was different about that day because I've done almost the exact same thing multiple times with no coolant boil over.

• steve_97060

Posted April 09, 2007 - 04:37 PM

The reason I ask is because I went riding with my '06 450 in tennessee a couple of weeks ago around the tellico ohv area and most of the trails were rocky. Not just the innocent unobtrusive rounded off or flat rocks that you tend to ignore, but the sharp pointy, stabby kind that will hurt you even if ride over them right. So most of the day was spent in 1st gear trying to go around them with varying degrees of success. There were many spots that keeping your balance and using the clutch was extremly hard to do. Just the act of lifting my fingers off the bar to clutch was enough to throw my balance off and make me stop, stall, or crash. (sometimes all three) When riding some of the harder trails, using my gps, I found that I could go as slow as 6 mph in 1st gear without clutching. That may seem slow but it would have been nice to go about 3-4 mph without having to clutch.

I have read about people putting the heavier flywheels on which, among other things, allows you to go slower without stalling or using the clutch. I have not found any hard numbers, only things like "you stall less", or "its great for trails". So how about it, what modification did you do, and how much slower can you go? Real numbers that you have seen with your bike only please.

that kind of riding doesn't even sound like fun...not the best use of a YZ450...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted April 09, 2007 - 08:08 PM

I ran a hare scramble last year on my 426 that due to the rainy, muddy conditions and the terrain (tight forest, steep up and downhills, tree roots, rocks, etc.) my average speed was just a hair over 6 mph. It was two hours of non-stop clutch work (and one hour of severe arm pump) and that was the day I decided to buy a Rekluse.

Not the ideal place for a big MX thumper but we can't buy a different bike for every place we ride, right? You can make these things good tight trail bikes with gearing, a flywheel weight, and a Rekluse if you are secure enough in your riding ability to not worry about the newbs that say the auto clutch is for newbs.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted April 09, 2007 - 09:29 PM

Sounds like a candidate for a Rekluse.

B-I-N-G-O ! :thumbsup:

• rooster wrooster

Posted April 10, 2007 - 05:38 AM

Here are some pics of the trails so you can see what I'm talking about.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• TheCure

Posted April 10, 2007 - 09:06 AM

I've been up trails that make that looked like a paved parking lot.:thumbsup:

Posted Image

I used to ride an 03 YZF450 geared really low and gave up for my 06 WR450. Best move I could ever make. The suspension, heavier flywheel, Wide Ratio tranny and the e start totally pwns the YZF in shit like that. I don't like the weight but it's not bad compared to my XR600

• torqueme

Posted April 10, 2007 - 09:43 AM

I had many of the same issues when first trail prepping my 426. Changed the gearing to 13/53, added 14oz. flywheel weight (heaviest you can get to my knowledge), installed the rekluse z-start, revalved suspension (a must). Today I can idle as slow as I can maintain my balance (2-4mph)with no stalling whatsoever. Gave up a lot of top-end but where I ride I seldom get into 4th anyway. This thing is a tractor with 2 wheels!!

• Wiz636

Posted April 10, 2007 - 10:49 AM

I've been up trails that make that looked like a paved parking lot.:thumbsup:

With the Rekluse and a trials tire this trail was no problem.

Posted Image

• rooster wrooster

Posted April 10, 2007 - 03:06 PM

As a comparison I asked my riding buddy, who has a stock '06 WR450, to do the "slow" test. He said he could go 5 mph without clutching before it would start to chug.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.