650R rear suspension linkage bearings.

4 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted April 09, 2007 - 03:19 AM

I was doing the whole, clean & grease the swing are bearings. While in there, I took out the triangle shaped linkage. One of the bearings is totally shot. Play in all directions, dirt & grit in there. It's the smallest one on the linkage, it connects to the bottom of the rear shock. The dust seal was mangled up a bit, and since I haven't had it apart before, I'm sure the factory screwed up the seal.

Just FYI to everyone with a pig. check all your suspension bearings once in awhile.

• XR4DEZ

Posted April 09, 2007 - 07:32 AM

I was doing the whole, clean & grease the swing are bearings. While in there, I took out the triangle shaped linkage. One of the bearings is totally shot. Play in all directions, dirt & grit in there. It's the smallest one on the linkage, it connects to the bottom of the rear shock. The dust seal was mangled up a bit, and since I haven't had it apart before, I'm sure the factory screwed up the seal.

Just FYI to everyone with a pig. check all your suspension bearings once in awhile.

I just bought the whole linkage new on Ebay and later a new swingarm. Now all I have to do is figure out a way to get the seized swingarm bolt out. Anyways I've seen two new units and my existing linkage and all of them have play at the bottom shock mount hole. You are right, grease the hell out of the suspension components, axles and brake pins.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4Takt

Posted April 09, 2007 - 07:38 AM

How much play is normal in the rear linkage?

All my bearings are in good shape and greased, but I have about a 1/4" of play up and down at the end of the swingarm, with the bike on a stand and no load on the suspension.

• motopsycho650

Posted April 10, 2007 - 03:48 AM

How much play is normal in the rear linkage?

All my bearings are in good shape and greased, but I have about a 1/4" of play up and down at the end of the swingarm, with the bike on a stand and no load on the suspension.

That is the bearing on the triangle suspension linkage for the bottom of the shock absorber. I noticed the same play and as I was digging, I found that bearing to be bad. There should be no play in the rear suspension.

• miguelitro

Posted April 10, 2007 - 06:26 AM

1/4 inch seems excessive to me, i did mine about a year ago, and really havnt ridden it (less than 500 miles, only half racing) much and there is just the tiniest bit of perceptable play in the swingarm.

you should probly go for a clean regrease and reassemble if all is well.

i also notice that you live where there is water(we dont have anyhere) and that of course leads to faster bearing failure.
Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.