How do you clean the airbox?

11 replies to this topic
  • Vegemite_luva

Posted April 08, 2007 - 09:13 AM

How do you clean the airbox? I have the basic grime and airfilter oil in the airbox. I bought an Acerbis airbox cover but it doesn't appear to be the correct one as it has a hole but no mounting screw or place to run the airfilter clip over. I am going to return it and get the Twin Air airbox cover. But I am still puzzled how and with what I can clean the airbox with. What do you guys do?

• BLACK_BONES

Posted April 08, 2007 - 10:13 AM

I clean my airbox with a rag with some varsol on it.

• gregwr450f

Posted April 08, 2007 - 10:40 PM

stuff the intake with rags and clean with petrol.

• witdogg

Posted April 08, 2007 - 10:42 PM

I clean mine every time I clean the air filter. I take carburetor cleaner and spray it on a rag and completely wipe down the inside of the air box. When I am done it looks brand new.

• TWILES

Posted April 09, 2007 - 09:52 AM

I clean mine every time I clean the air filter. I take carburetor cleaner and spray it on a rag and completely wipe down the inside of the air box. When I am done it looks brand new.

Same here but I spray WD-40 all in the box and wipe it out.

• SID013

Posted April 09, 2007 - 04:46 PM

How do you clean the airbox? I have the basic grime and airfilter oil in the airbox. I bought an Acerbis airbox cover but it doesn't appear to be the correct one as it has a hole but no mounting screw or place to run the airfilter clip over. I am going to return it and get the Twin Air airbox cover. But I am still puzzled how and with what I can clean the airbox with. What do you guys do?

I bought the same Acerbis airbox cover & it appears it is for the YZ which has the screw to retain the airfilter. I fixed that by fitting a screw & nut to seal the hole & the clip goes over near the screw & holds the cover in place. The lip seal didn't work to good so I changed that also & now I get a tight seal. (Bit like an Eskimo) :thumbsup: It may be best to change it to the Twin Air. Less work.

Cheers from Oz.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted April 09, 2007 - 05:05 PM

The Twin Air filter cover is superior to Acerbis for washing. I use it with a high pressure washer and no water/dirt or soap gets behind it!:thumbsup:

• MxnDoc

Posted April 12, 2007 - 10:23 AM

I use Simple Green to degrease & clean the airbox along with the Twin air cover......works great!

• ISBB

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:30 PM

a rag in the intake and a old filter that still has a bit of oil on it... squirt w/ simple green hose and and walla... filter is wet intake is dry.. :thumbsup:

• Jaycycle

Posted April 12, 2007 - 07:34 PM

The Twin Air filter cover is superior to Acerbis for washing. I use it with a high pressure washer and no water/dirt or soap gets behind it!:thumbsup:

Same here. I use the Twin-Air one and just use the pressure washer.

• Vegemite_luva

Posted April 13, 2007 - 05:37 AM

I bought the same Acerbis airbox cover & it appears it is for the YZ which has the screw to retain the airfilter. I fixed that by fitting a screw & nut to seal the hole & the clip goes over near the screw & holds the cover in place. The lip seal didn't work to good so I changed that also & now I get a tight seal. (Bit like an Eskimo) :thumbsup: It may be best to change it to the Twin Air. Less work.

Cheers from Oz.

Yeah, I confirmed with rockymountainmc.com that the Acerbis cover is for the YZ and not the WR. I am returning it and getting the Twin Air.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 15, 2007 - 06:31 PM

I've always used Simple Green... :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.