Am I off a notch? Question about timing

8 replies to this topic
  • Toinky

Posted April 07, 2007 - 07:22 PM

I have an '06 WR450. After adjusting the valves and putting things back together, something doesn't look quite right to me. In trying to get the timing marks aligned as specified in the manual, the punch holes just seem a little high on both sides to me. I'm sure someone with know-how can look and tell me if I'm just imagining it or am I off one tooth on the cam chain somehow. Here is small pic and here is a larger view of the same thing. (I just fixed the previous broken links to the pics--sorry about that.)

• scott_h

Posted April 08, 2007 - 12:10 PM

It looks pretty close to what I'm used to seeing. It's a little tough to tell from the photo since it was taken at a slight angle which has induced some parallax error though.

• 74Hustler

Posted April 09, 2007 - 08:13 AM

looks ok to me.

• Fullbore4

Posted April 09, 2007 - 08:59 AM

Looks to me like its one tooth off........can you post a pic from the other side?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Toinky

Posted April 09, 2007 - 09:25 PM

Here is a pic from the opposite side. Thanks.

• Fullbore4

Posted April 09, 2007 - 10:11 PM

Here is a pic from the opposite side. Thanks.

Yah your off a tooth, the intake lobe looks to be advanced one tooth too far. Both visible lobes in the photo should be at exactly the same opposite slants, if you will, about like the exhaust cam lobe is shown now.

• Toinky

Posted April 11, 2007 - 11:15 PM

Thanks. I got rotated the intake cam and it all seems lined up right now.

• ash105

Posted April 12, 2007 - 01:35 PM

So this model should have 14 pins between cam marks? My WR400 looks to have the same ex cam and I am having problems with the timing so would I need 14 pins as well?

• Oasis_Flame

Posted April 13, 2007 - 06:51 AM

Your timing is dead on. 13 pins WR, 12 pins YZ. Cam lobes are correct, run that puppy!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.