650R rear swing arm question

4 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted April 07, 2007 - 01:08 PM

I'm adding some grease to my over-due rear swing arm bearings.

Which one is the locknut, inner or outer?

I'm working on fabricating tools now, I have the outer tool done except welding a wrench to it. I'm about to go cut the inner tool.

• Hayden

Posted April 07, 2007 - 03:21 PM

You know there is an easier way right? Dont need to fab tools either. Leave the 2 keyed parts in the frame and just unbolt the nut on left side of bike. Now knock the swing arm axle out. I have now Idea why those 2 keyed sleeves have to come out. Have had mine apart a couple of times. No harm seems to come from just leaving them there and just taking out the swing arm axle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ganshert

Posted April 07, 2007 - 04:37 PM

I'm adding some grease to my over-due rear swing arm bearings.

Which one is the locknut, inner or outer?

I'm working on fabricating tools now, I have the outer tool done except welding a wrench to it. I'm about to go cut the inner tool.

the outer is the locknut

• ganshert

Posted April 07, 2007 - 04:41 PM

You know there is an easier way right? Dont need to fab tools either. Leave the 2 keyed parts in the frame and just unbolt the nut on left side of bike. Now knock the swing arm axle out. I have now Idea why those 2 keyed sleeves have to come out. Have had mine apart a couple of times. No harm seems to come from just leaving them there and just taking out the swing arm axle.

easy don't make it right

I would guess that if you can pull the swingarm out, and put it back in, without removing the adjuster that it's too loose.

why take the chance when it's so easy to make or buy the tools?

• motopsycho650

Posted April 08, 2007 - 04:09 AM

Because all you can do is grease the bolt & the collars. I want to inspect, clean, and repack the bearings. I was a bad pig owner, and put this project off for 3 seasons. Having seen things so far, the bolt & inside of the collars are very dirty, but just slightly rusted. I am thinking the bearings will be savable. Unbelievably, I still have stock grease on the bolt. It's time to repack the swing arm, and the 3 linkage bearings, and I'm confident it will last another couple seasons.

Seeing how much dirt can get in there, this will now become a once a year project for me, along with changing front fork oil.

I already have it apart to that point. I actually placed the bolt back in the opposite side so pressure is kept off the lock nut.

Between the cut-off wheels, the two sockets needed, and a wrench to weld to the outer tool, I've spend 25 bucks, and a few hours of time, (it's snowy out, so I can't ride anyways). That's is much better than the 120 bucks I was quoted for Honda's tools.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.