What tire should i get

6 replies to this topic
  • YamahaYZ426F

Posted April 07, 2007 - 06:38 AM

I have a yz426f and don;t know what tire i should get both front and rear tire i ride in the trails a lot and at a big gravel pit i was thinking about going with the Dunlope D739 tire but not sure any advice thanks.:bonk:

• flintlock28

Posted April 07, 2007 - 06:54 AM

I ride in PA., in the Coal regions, as well as New Jersey.

Don't go with the 739, On anything other than Hardpack, it will tend to wash out on you.

Do yourself a favor, get a Pirelli Scorpion Pro for the front, and a Pirelli MT-16 for the rear. I've used the Dunlop 756, the Dunlop 739, the Maxxis IT, and the Maxxis SI. I mainly ride trails that consist of good trail dirt, Hardpack, Dirt/sand mixture, pure Sand, Rocks, and Shale/Coal. I was never really confident with the front occasionally washing out. I took the advise of the Off-road riding forum moderator, and He said for off-road, use the above mentioned Pirelli's. I figured I'd take the chance, and got them. The bike has never hooked up better, and I'm way more secure with the front end. These tires
work very well on just about everything you encounter off-road. The only thing I can't comment on is pure Mud, since I don't see Mud very often. I'm not sure if it's still going on, but Pirelli also had/has a program going on where if you buy the rear Mt-16 (or some other models), they'll give you a front tire for just shipping cost...I think I paid about $ 15, and they shipped a new front Scorpion Pro, right to my front door.

If you're absoulutely set on having a Dunlop, than get the 952 model for front and back. I haven't used them, but everyone seems to really like them. I'm sticking with the Pirelli combo, and no, I don't work for Pirelli.

hope this helps. 2004 Yz450f.

• 700MX

Posted April 07, 2007 - 07:19 AM

I ride in PA., in the Coal regions, as well as New Jersey.

Don't go with the 739, On anything other than Hardpack, it will tend to wash out on you.

Do yourself a favor, get a Pirelli Scorpion Pro for the front, and a Pirelli MT-16 for the rear. I've used the Dunlop 756, the Dunlop 739, the Maxxis IT, and the Maxxis SI. I mainly ride trails that consist of good trail dirt, Hardpack, Dirt/sand mixture, pure Sand, Rocks, and Shale/Coal. I was never really confident with the front occasionally washing out. I took the advise of the Off-road riding forum moderator, and He said for off-road, use the above mentioned Pirelli's. I figured I'd take the chance, and got them. The bike has never hooked up better, and I'm way more secure with the front end. These tires
work very well on just about everything you encounter off-road. The only thing I can't comment on is pure Mud, since I don't see Mud very often. I'm not sure if it's still going on, but Pirelli also had/has a program going on where if you buy the rear Mt-16 (or some other models), they'll give you a front tire for just shipping cost...I think I paid about $ 15, and they shipped a new front Scorpion Pro, right to my front door.

If you're absoulutely set on having a Dunlop, than get the 952 model for front and back. I haven't used them, but everyone seems to really like them. I'm sticking with the Pirelli combo, and no, I don't work for Pirelli.

hope this helps. 2004 Yz450f.

I have to agree.....The pirelli works suprisingly well. I am sponsored by dunlop, and miss the scorpion front at times

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kjfox

Posted April 09, 2007 - 12:01 PM

flintlock28; Where did you get your tires from?

• ThompsonV311

Posted April 09, 2007 - 05:01 PM

Looks like it's a mail in rebate sort of thing that Pirelli is offering. How long did it take to get your free tire?

• flintlock28

Posted April 09, 2007 - 07:15 PM

I bought the front and rear from a local dealer...and I had NO idea there was a rebate deal, until I read it on Thumpertalk. I think I found the link...

http://www.mx.getpir....com/home1.html

So now, I got a spare front sitting in my Garage, for $ 15. I think delivery to my house took about 6 weeks from the time I filed the online form. You can't go wrong with the MT-16 rear, and the Scorpion Pro up front.

I run 12 p.s.i. in both front and rear, and it hooks up great.....On rocky areas, I bump the rear up to 14, and the front to 13 or 14.

• kjfox

Posted April 10, 2007 - 04:06 AM

Went to the web-site, the only size front tire they are offering in the Scorpion Pro is 90/90-21. How does that tire compare to the stock 80/100-21 front? I imagine we need the 80/100 -21 size tire.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.