Seeking info on my XR600R with mods

6 replies to this topic
  • braddonati

Posted April 07, 2007 - 05:34 AM

New member here, I just purchased a used 99 XR600R. The previous owners had made some mods on it and wanted to ask members for some help. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about it and from looking at the bike it appears he didn't ride it much. I have searched the forums for info on the mods and haven't had much luck. The bike has a J & E Piston 654cc with a Paris Dakar Cam? and associated parts for the install by XR's Only. What should I know about this set up? Do I have to run race gas in it? The compression ratio is supposedly 10.5 to 1. Do the valve adjustment specs differ from a stock engine? How reliable is this big bore set up? Is there anything I can do to lighten the throttle pull short of purchasing a new carb? After cleaning it up, oil and filter, lubing throttle and clutch cables, new brakes and fluid, handlebars, and tires, I took it out for a ride. The bike is just a blast to ride. I used to own a 92 and a 00 and sold both to buy a newer dirt bike with all of the modern suspensions, engines, and light weight but all of those bikes were never as comfortable and fun as an XR600R. It is great to be back on an XR600R and look forward to this forum as a source of info for my bike.

Brad

• rebelventurer

Posted April 07, 2007 - 06:46 AM

No you do not need race gas, $26+ a gallon lately :D I would use quality gas though chevron, shell premium 93 octane, then if you want add an octane booster I reccomend 104+ its about the only one that does not contain MMR. Valve clearance specs should be same as stock. The bike will want to run a bit hotter than the stocker, you should change the oil very often, use a quality semi sythetic or conventional oil, xrs only swears by Kendall :naughty: You may be able to find a lighter slide spring for the carb, or new cables, throttle controls. I still love the Gunner Gasser! :bonk: OH, welcome to TT. Got questions? lots of answers around here!

• braddonati

Posted April 07, 2007 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply, I ran Chevron 91 in it yesterday and it ran fine, did not ping or anything. I will try some Octan Booster next time I am out riding. I will probably change out the carb to a FCR, then work on the suspension. Thanks again.

Brad

2004 Husky TE510
1999 Honda XR600R

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gnfreak

Posted April 07, 2007 - 05:08 PM

one way to up octane is to mix in some zylene or toulene to your gas. keep it under 30 percent mix. some add a few drops of marvel mystery oil to the mix for a little lubrication. for my Grand National i would keep it about 20 percent and not add anything. bought the stuff at menards. i've since went to alcohol injection so i dont mix up anymore. octane booster out there only adds tenths to the octane number and its expensive.

• cleonard

Posted April 07, 2007 - 10:52 PM

You should be ok with premium when you are not working it too hard. Hard would be extended full throttle, like sand dunes, or extremely technical first gear riding when the temperature is very high.

Don't let the gas sit too long in the tank. If it has been sitting more than a month or six weeks, drain it and put in your car/truck.

• rebelventurer

Posted April 07, 2007 - 11:10 PM

one way to up octane is to mix in some zylene or toulene to your gas. keep it under 30 percent mix. some add a few drops of marvel mystery oil to the mix for a little lubrication. for my Grand National i would keep it about 20 percent and not add anything. bought the stuff at menards. i've since went to alcohol injection so i dont mix up anymore. octane booster out there only adds tenths to the octane number and its expensive.

Did you mean xylene? Are you a chemist? Will you pay to rebuild my bike if it blows up? Do you have further information on this subject? Mainly documentation of properties of said gasoline after adding this chemical?

• gnfreak

Posted April 08, 2007 - 06:56 PM

Did you mean xylene? Are you a chemist? Will you pay to rebuild my bike if it blows up? Do you have further information on this subject? Mainly documentation of properties of said gasoline after adding this chemical?

no not a chemist. and you're right its xylene. ive had alcohol injection for 3-4 years now so i dont mess with the other stuff. just doing what i learned off the internet at the Grand National forums years ago. search turbobuicks.com or t6p.com if you want more info. you dont really think id do something adverse to my pride and joy do ya? both those chemicals are added to your gas in some proportion anyway as i understand it, just at lot lower amounts. what is in the Octain Booster stuff?? i'm just passing on my experence with mixing this stuff. it didnt hurt the car..... got rid of detionation under high boost using a 100 octane chip. and you know i didnt ask anybody to rebuild the turbo V6 if something happened to it. you do things like this at your own risk.. do we need disclaimers on all our posts now?? I took a jump this way but.....if you try it and fall off and mess yourself up i'm not to blame. Posts might get a little messy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.