Lack of 600 threads

15 replies to this topic
  • XRidiculous

Posted April 06, 2007 - 09:39 PM

I have been noticing the lack of 600 threads lately. Most likely its because 600 owners have got their bikes built to their perfection, and they keep on running-ergo-nothing to post about...

Proportionately, 650R owners continue to post, because no power gain is too small to talk about, considering the tank-like weight of the 650.

Yes-this was written to get you riled.

SEPARATE THE FRIGGIN' FORUM NOW!

• angiethedog

Posted April 06, 2007 - 09:54 PM

What difference does it make? I'm here because they don't have an XL600R forum. There are a few of us here and we seemed to have found each other. Either way, if you don't mod you're bike there's really no need to post.

• XRidiculous

Posted April 06, 2007 - 10:03 PM

Interesting thought...But if you mod like crazy, like I have, since I bought my bike new in '98-then other info really distorts what I'm truly looking for-other people,with my bike, who have experience directly related to it.

• rebelventurer

Posted April 06, 2007 - 10:31 PM

Im not riled, :bonk: I noticed they dont have a forum for my Norton single either, or the BSA, or the even older Sunbeam:excuseme: So be glad you are included with the xr650L and R models, the bikes are similar enough to be in the same group of bikes. :naughty:
Be glad you dont own a 2 stroke they lump all displacements together, just seperated by brand :D
If anyone deserves their own forum it would be the XR650R guys, liquid cooled aluminum frame, nothing like the 600's or the L models, parts wont interchange. But the 600's and the L's you can swap parts between them and they use basically the same frame.
Its like bowling balls they all get put in the same rack and you have to look to find yours :bonk:
I would love to see everyone have a forum for their own bike, but we need to accept the fact that IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, and make the best of the great forum we have. You can start by posting a picture of your crazy modded bike!

• plinker

Posted April 07, 2007 - 02:38 AM

I've got a '00 XR 600R that I'm just barely beginning to mod for desert running.

I rode a lot of desert from my early teens through my late 20's, all on 2 strokes, then pretty much quit for most of my 30's.

At 37 (back in '03) I bought my bone stock XR 600 used and pretty clean. I think I've ridden it ten times or less since. Between family, work, and the house, there just hasn't been time to ride.

Maybe I'm hitting my mid-life crisis now that I'm 41? I've had an unreasonably strong urge to mod my bike and spend some time up in the desert.

In the last couple of months I've bought an IMS 4 gal. tank, and Race Tech heavy duty springs fore and aft. I haven't installed the springs yet because I'm considering getting Race Tech Gold Valves front and rear also. Might as well revalve and do service when I pop the new springs on.

Next on my list is figuring out this "un-corking" ritual I seem to hear about but still have no idea what is meant by it. I'm assuming you guys mean ditching the stock header/muffler and rejetting.

Damn, I just realized that I've never taken a picture of it by itself. :bonk:

Here's one of the only photos I have that actually shows the bike. It was taken on Cuddeback Dry Lake back in early '05 after a long rain season when the desert sprouted in wild flowers.

Me and my son

Posted Image

Campsite shot

Posted Image

I'll have to take some shots before I start modding it, and through the process.

• bork

Posted April 07, 2007 - 10:33 AM

Nice plinker! ENJOY ! I dont feel the need for our own forum, I'm happy . Maybe we dont post as much cause of fewer problems?

• cbaranski

Posted April 07, 2007 - 10:41 AM

I love my xr630r. Mine has alot of mods. I can remember when I was 13 and I got my first new bike. It was a cr250, the only year it was blood red. After I bought it my buddy's dad shows up on the baddest bike i had ever seen. It was an 86 xr600r. Right then i was hooked. So finally got a 96 about a year and a half ago and ride the hell out of it.

• hypersthenos

Posted April 07, 2007 - 11:52 AM

Though I have a dual sported XR650R I am looking for a nice XR600 to dual sport as well. Maybe then I too will wish for separate forums. As both bikes will soon be relegated to obsolete status I'd imagine the likelihood of separating the forums becomes even less likely. Either way I'm hooked.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • angiethedog

Posted April 07, 2007 - 04:02 PM

Im not riled, :thumbsup: I noticed they dont have a forum for my Norton single either, or the BSA, or the even older Sunbeam:excuseme: So be glad you are included with the xr650L and R models, the bikes are similar enough to be in the same group of bikes. :worthy:
Be glad you dont own a 2 stroke they lump all displacements together, just seperated by brand :ride:
If anyone deserves their own forum it would be the XR650R guys, liquid cooled aluminum frame, nothing like the 600's or the L models, parts wont interchange. But the 600's and the L's you can swap parts between them and they use basically the same frame.
Its like bowling balls they all get put in the same rack and you have to look to find yours :ride:
I would love to see everyone have a forum for their own bike, but we need to accept the fact that IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, and make the best of the great forum we have. You can start by posting a picture of your crazy modded bike!

I'm fairly sure XR's and XL's aren't interchangable. I could be wrong though.

• motopsycho650

Posted April 08, 2007 - 04:34 AM

Sorry to say it, but the 600's are a dying bike. Pretty soon I'll be saying "where are all the 650 threads?" The technology just moves too fast. The days of solid build bikes that rule for 10+ years are over. I bet the 650R won't even make it to 10 years before it's discontinued. But, it's not near as solidly built as the XR600's were.

• Slim Shadetree

Posted April 08, 2007 - 11:14 PM

My 600 is going strong and I'm always riding it.

Posted Image

• malevolent73

Posted April 08, 2007 - 11:51 PM

Sorry to say it, but the 600's are a dying bike. Pretty soon I'll be saying "where are all the 650 threads?" The technology just moves too fast. The days of solid build bikes that rule for 10+ years are over. I bet the 650R won't even make it to 10 years before it's discontinued. But, it's not near as solidly built as the XR600's were.

you are out of your mind!!! XR650R's are very solid!!! been around for 8... YES 8 YRS!!! what makes you think there won't be at least 2 more years of production??? The only Bi@#H :thumbsup: I have, and I'm sure most other owners agree, is I would like it to have electric start. and maybe a 6th gear!!! other than that, I give my bike a terrible punishing every time I ride it... and its still ROCKIN ON!!! :worthy: :ride:

(well over 5000 mi. on it)

• rmhrc630

Posted April 09, 2007 - 01:13 AM

you are out of your mind!!! XR650R's are very solid!!! been around for 8... YES 8 YRS!!! what makes you think there won't be at least 2 more years of production??? The only Bi@#H :thumbsup: I have, and I'm sure most other owners agree, is I would like it to have electric start. and maybe a 6th gear!!! other than that, I give my bike a terrible punishing every time I ride it... and its still ROCKIN ON!!! :worthy: :ride:

(well over 5000 mi. on it)

My 628R is going strong also Posted Image

Unfort he's not out of his mind - just staing some Honda created issues.

The 650L and R are no longer sold in Australia - I believe Canada is losing them also.

Time has not been kind to the 650R - it is being subjected to brutal punishment from many other brands and from all angles.

You Californians I underdtand now cant register them and that will put a further dint in their sales.

Yes it will be a case soon of no more 650Rs - sad but true.

• TheCure

Posted April 09, 2007 - 09:47 AM

1993 XR600...been everywhere from Baja to 14,000 feet in colorado. It's been raced in dez, mx even one badly thought out local sx:bonk: .

Starts 1 or 2nd kik cold after being primed 5x. No smoke, runs fine.

I'm looking to add the Mikuni flat slide when my boss oks it. (even wifeypoo KNOWS the bike needs nothing.:worthy: )

How many 14 year old bikes do you know can do that?:thumbsup:

• XRidiculous

Posted April 11, 2007 - 07:51 PM

None.

• Big Red Paul

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:16 AM

Over the line Smokey !! Mark it zero, dude.

I did not see my buddies dying face down in the mud in Vietnam so you boys can get your own 600 thread!!

Am I wrong ? Am I wrong ?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.