Dont rely on Yamaha Warranty!!!

47 replies to this topic
  • FeliX 450

Posted April 07, 2007 - 10:37 AM

You had a bad dealer. they have them and very suprised your dealer don't sell them cuz its money in there pocket for selling it!

yup, our salesman offered it to us and we took it.

• steve_97060

Posted April 07, 2007 - 11:10 AM

I don't know, it just seems odd that 2 different levers would break like that.. If it was a manufacturing defect it seems like this would be a fairly widely known problem by now..I can understand why the reps would be thinking what they told you...

Just seems too unlikely that different levers would break in such a short period of time, are you sure there isn't something you are doing when kick starting that could be contributing this? Do you fully pivot out the lever before you start kicking?

• HPF89X

Posted April 07, 2007 - 11:48 AM

Very odd that it broke twice. I understand why they didnt cover it the second time. I would think it was user error too. Im surprised you got it covered the first time.

• roggiedog

Posted April 07, 2007 - 03:24 PM

I feel bad for you. Broken twice to me means something's wrong. Not with your kicking style...I don't think I could go out to my garage and break the kick starter...My knee would probably go out first. Anyone thinking it's your kicking method or because you're twisting the throttle must think you're Superman. I can imagine you're very frustrated with the shop as well as some of the questions here on the forum.

• 02YZ426

Posted April 07, 2007 - 03:33 PM

I feel bad for you. Broken twice to me means something's wrong. Not with your kicking style...I don't think I could go out to my garage and break the kick starter...My knee would probably go out first. Anyone thinking it's your kicking method or because you're twisting the throttle must think you're Superman. I can imagine you're very frustrated with the shop as well as some of the questions here on the forum.

Don't under estimate the power of a solid back kick from the engine! If your dropping 160+ pounds downwards on that kick start twisting that throttle and it back kicks... it can break! I have personally had kick starters snap flush off at the engine case. One second your kicking and then your kick stater is lying on the ground! It happens.

• FeliX 450

Posted April 08, 2007 - 11:17 AM

Don't under estimate the power of a solid back kick from the engine! If your dropping 160+ pounds downwards on that kick start twisting that throttle and it back kicks... it can break! I have personally had kick starters snap flush off at the engine case. One second your kicking and then your kick stater is lying on the ground! It happens.

i understand that but i do not twist the throttle when i kick the bike because its kicksback, its one of the 1st rules my uncle tought me when kickstarting the bike :thumbsup:

+ i have 3 year extended warranty, which cost me $529.

yes so maybe its not a very common problem but at the shop they told me i wasnt the 1st with it.

Look at it this way.
If 20,000 bikes sold and 10,000 people buy extended warranty it means 5,290,000 extra to their pocket. The odds are then only so many people will have problems with their bike, it may not be a kickstarter but something else. Even if 70% of people with that bike will have some kind of a problem with their bike which is a high probabilty, Yamaha will still be getting a lot of extra from selling the warranty. So if they sell the extended warranty for their machines, they got to at least cover the part that broke.

• KawiTillDeath

Posted April 08, 2007 - 11:19 AM

shoulda bought a kawi...

• FeliX 450

Posted April 08, 2007 - 04:06 PM

shoulda bought a kawi...

:worthy: :thumbsup:

• Kliedus

Posted April 08, 2007 - 04:16 PM

i dont think there was an agreement in your warranty that said if something breaks more than once they wont cover it. Honestly this just looks like a dealer being lazy and not wanting to cover what looks to be like a faulty part?? Some people might think its okay for the dealer to not cover it the second time... but y not?? whats the logic to that. I mean if you think like that, what would happen if their was a faulty part on a bike, and the dealer didnt want to cover it by blaming it on you w/ NO evidence. Its not like he crashed his bike into the wall and wanted it all covered...! just venting cause i got a extended warranty also, and would be pissed if they did this to me. bud good luck to you.

• mxkid416

Posted April 08, 2007 - 04:20 PM

On my 03 YZ, it blew up on the second ride, jetting was extrememly rich as it still had the stock jetting, I was told its a race bike, Its your problem. I've seen quite a few others that have had trannies or engines blow off the bat from yamaha and they were told too bad its a race bike. I love the YZs but their warranty does suck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2007 - 06:05 PM

+ i have 3 year extended warranty, which cost me $529.

...Yamaha will still be getting a lot of extra from selling the warranty.

Are you sure that Yamaha is selling it at all? They don't offer it for any YZ/WR on their web site. Sounds like an aftermarket warranty to me, probably with all kinds of exclusions.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 08, 2007 - 06:11 PM

Can the part be welded? If they won't cover the cost, and you don't wanna pay $140 than get it welded, if possible.

Yes it can be welded!:worthy: >>> Because I am a Heli-arc welder or the other term Tig welder. It would be easy to weld it back with a tig welder it would only take me aprox. 5 minutes to do it :thumbsup:

• FeliX 450

Posted April 08, 2007 - 06:34 PM

Yes it can be welded!:worthy: >>> Because I am a Heli-arc welder or the other term Tig welder. It would be easy to weld it back with a tig welder it would only take me aprox. 5 minutes to do it :thumbsup:

how reliable would that be?

• 06_450 Rider

Posted April 08, 2007 - 09:35 PM

I had the exact problem as you with the kickstarteron my 06, and there was no way that i was gonna spend 140 bucks on a whole new assembly, when i just needed the kickstarter peice, so i actually welded the piece back on, and that didnt work out so well.. lasted about two kicks and broke again. I was so frustrated.... then i got to thinking, that instead of welding the piece back on i could just build up a few beads where it broke off, and that would work just the same as the piece would. Amazingly it has worked ever since and is very strong and sturdy. I would reccomend that you do this instead of spending 140 bucks on a new assembly.

• the hearse

Posted April 08, 2007 - 10:13 PM

i have an 06' 450f and mine was cracking where it makes contact after you rotate it out to kick

• Huckster

Posted April 09, 2007 - 03:56 AM

My kickstarter broke on my '07 as well in the same spot. The problem is your kicking the bike way to hard. All it takes is a nice easy push and the bike fires. I learned this after the fact.

As far the the piece itself, Yamaha only sells it as a unit. The do not sell the parts seperate. With that said, my dealer did the right thing. They took one off a bike on the floor and warrantied it. I was past the 30 or 60 days that Yamaha gives you. I would ask your dealer to do the same.

• toofast2

Posted April 09, 2007 - 04:29 AM

You have an AFTERMARKET WARRANTY,Yamaha does not offer an extended
warranty on YZ's,there only warranty, is 30 day's from purchase date to original owner...your kicking to hard,and the lever is hitting the Titanium footpeg! ED

• FeliX 450

Posted April 09, 2007 - 07:11 AM

You have an AFTERMARKET WARRANTY,Yamaha does not offer an extended
warranty on YZ's,there only warranty, is 30 day's from purchase date to original owner...your kicking to hard,and the lever is hitting the Titanium footpeg! ED

it has absolutley nothing to do with a footpeg :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2007 - 07:23 AM

it has absolutley nothing to do with a footpeg :worthy:

...he said, cleverly avoiding the issue of whether or not his warranty was actually from Yamaha. :thumbsup:

• toofast2

Posted April 10, 2007 - 11:16 AM

...he said, cleverly avoiding the issue of whether or not his warranty was actually from Yamaha. :worthy:

Yamaharacer does your kick lever hit the footpeg when you try to start
the bike?...Hint,they all do!..that's the weak link,they use the footpeg as
a stop,for the lever,Aluminum hitting Titanium,who will be the winner?:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.