Dont rely on Yamaha Warranty!!!

47 replies to this topic
  • FeliX 450

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:44 PM

Well i had my 07 YZ450F for almost 4 months now. After my 3rd ride on the bike the bottom part of kickstarter broke off so it would allow the kickstarter to go all the way out touching the frame and making it impossible to kick/start. So after it broke of i took the bike to the place where i bought it and Yamaha approved it and they fixed the bike.

Last weekend i took my bike to the desert and the same thing happend again. I was pretty upset that it happened again, because it was just the begining of the weekend. So i take my bike to the shop and yesterday i get a call from the shop and they tell me that Yamaha will not cover the cost to fix the bike and the part. They gave a number and i called them to find out why they wont cover the fix.(btw i have 3 year extended warranty). So i call them and they transfer me to the something like "Service/Warranty professional" and he tells me that its and "Operator Error" which basically means that i dont know how to kickstart a bike , I havent been riding long, about 4 years and never had this problem on My old 95 CR125 and 04 WR250F. He said that there are certain "techniques" to start a modern 4 stroke especially the new Motocross model "YZ450F". He was talking to me as i did not know what dirt bike is:banghead:. Another thing is that they do not sell just the kickstart lever, they sell the whole Kickstart assembly for $140. I DO NOT NEED THE WHOLE KICKSART ASSEMBLY. Just the lever which would probably be like $30. I tihnk its just another way for them make some extra money to support their Yamaha Factory Race Team.

In my opinion its very wrong, but there is nothing i can do, but pay the money for the whole assembly and pay the shop to fix it which total would be around $200. I was saving up for a Doug Henry kit, but know i have to spend it on a new kickstarter :bonk:

• RedRider38

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:49 PM

Sounds like you had a sucky day...
If it were me i would tell the guy to send someone out to tell me how to properly start my bike and what i am doing wrong just to try and piss them off a bit...
Oh and most of the time when you buy an aftermarket part they are cheaper than the original, Although im not sure about a kick starter i've found things like clutch and brake levers to brake easier than the stock ones

• YamahaYZ426F

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:53 PM

U know what would be funny if they came over to show u how to start the bike and they broke the starter to lol :bonk: and thats a bunch off bs hope everthing turns out ok

• Mazdaspeed

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:56 PM

Can the part be welded? If they won't cover the cost, and you don't wanna pay $140 than get it welded, if possible.

• FeliX 450

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:59 PM

Can the part be welded? If they won't cover the cost, and you don't wanna pay $140 than get it welded, if possible.

i dont you can weld it back together since its Aluminum (sp).

And there is no aftermarket kickstarter.

• Jaycycle

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:59 PM

http://oem.thumperta...ickstarter.aspx

#18 is only 80 bucks.

I would say pick the bike up from the dealer. Pay the 10 bucks to use the TT OEM store and buy that kick start assembly. Then Just install it your self. I'm sure you could do it, it would be really easy. It then would only cost you $100 compaired to 200.

• Mazdaspeed

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:02 PM

You can get aluminum welded, but its more expensive, and you'd have to take it to a shop where they know what they're doing. It can be done, and would be cheaper.

• mudhog426

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:38 PM

Have you heard of any other 07' model owners having this problem? I've never heard of anyone having this happen so it makes me wonder if the design was changed this year.

• 02YZ426

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:38 PM

This is the first YZ450 I have heard of breaking the kick start. Is it back kicking half way through the stroke, then your weight coming down breaks it? Make sure your not twisting the throttle while kicking it over.. that will cause a back kick and can most definitely break the kick start. As for warranty, they did fix it once, and I'm not surprised they didn't cover it the second time. It sucks, but I've had worse happen.

• FeliX 450

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:41 PM

Have you heard of any other 07' model owners having this problem? I've never heard of anyone having this happen so it makes me wonder if the design was changed this year.

yes there was a guy that had this same peoblem once,
and at the shop they told me they had few people with same thing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • enduro4231

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:50 PM

i dont you can weld it back together since its Aluminum (sp).

And there is no aftermarket kickstarter.

Aluminum can be welded just as cleanly/easily as steel. It would probably cost you less than $40 to get it welded.

• FeliX 450

Posted April 06, 2007 - 08:14 PM

http://oem.thumperta...ickstarter.aspx

#18 is only 80 bucks.

I would say pick the bike up from the dealer. Pay the 10 bucks to use the TT OEM store and buy that kick start assembly. Then Just install it your self. I'm sure you could do it, it would be really easy. It then would only cost you $100 compaired to 200.

Thanks, thats a lot better than 140 :bonk:

How long does it usualy take for the things to ship from TT.
Im in San Diego btw. I need bt next weekend since im going out to the track that weekend.

• Mxrider1190

Posted April 06, 2007 - 08:49 PM

how did you get a 3 year extended warrenty on a motocross bike?, when i bought my yz250f at my dealer they said theres only 30 days and there is no extended warrent you can buy.

• Kliedus

Posted April 06, 2007 - 09:07 PM

i dont see how they can not cover it by saying its "operator error". Did you ever tell them how you were starting it the "wrong" way. Or did they just assume this and try to make u pay the bill. If not I would tell them to go screw themselves and make them cover it. I mean whats the point of a 3 year warranty if theyre going to pull this.

• 02YZ426

Posted April 06, 2007 - 09:39 PM

i dont see how they can not cover it by saying its "operator error". Did you ever tell them how you were starting it the "wrong" way. Or did they just assume this and try to make u pay the bill. If not I would tell them to go screw themselves and make them cover it. I mean whats the point of a 3 year warranty if theyre going to pull this.

The wrong way would be to twist the throttle and kick it over. If it back kicks and you've put your leg into it, there is a good chance of breaking it off.

• Jaycycle

Posted April 07, 2007 - 06:32 AM

Thanks, thats a lot better than 140 :bonk:

How long does it usualy take for the things to ship from TT.
Im in San Diego btw. I need bt next weekend since im going out to the track that weekend.

I'm sure you would get it in time. Don't be afraid to call in ask to make sure.

For each product we sell, we list the typical timeframe in which the product will ship (E.g 1-2 business days). However, if for whatever reason we can't meet that timeframe (needs to be ordered in from a supplier or the part is on backorder), it's our obligation to contact the customer, to let them know what the situation is, so they can make adjustments to their order as necessary. However, customers are free to have us check stock ahead of time and especially if there is a ride or race you need the parts for, please let us know. If we can't meet that timeline, we'll tell you. I hope this answers your question. If not, feel free to contact me or any of our staff members. We're happy to help and thanks for your business. :naughty:

Bryan

To call them.

To email them.

• Super Dude

Posted April 07, 2007 - 06:37 AM

how did you get a 3 year extended warrenty on a motocross bike?, when i bought my yz250f at my dealer they said theres only 30 days and there is no extended warrent you can buy.

You had a bad dealer. they have them and very suprised your dealer don't sell them cuz its money in there pocket for selling it!

• MxBaller621

Posted April 07, 2007 - 07:06 AM

Do you only need to kickstarter lever, or the whole assembly? I'm pretty sure if you only need a lever you can get a stronger one from ProCircuit, which has better leverage for easier starting.

• FeliX 450

Posted April 07, 2007 - 10:35 AM

Do you only need to kickstarter lever, or the whole assembly? I'm pretty sure if you only need a lever you can get a stronger one from ProCircuit, which has better leverage for easier starting.

i just looked on ProCircuits website, didnt seem to find one :bonk:

and yes i only need the lever.

• FeliX 450

Posted April 07, 2007 - 10:36 AM

The wrong way would be to twist the throttle and kick it over. If it back kicks and you've put your leg into it, there is a good chance of breaking it off.

no it wasnt that. i never open throttle when starting my bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.