Thoughts on mounting exhaust on stock header?

14 replies to this topic
  • angiethedog

Posted April 06, 2007 - 09:57 AM

I just bought an XR's Only exhaust for my XL600R and it is a bit larger than the stock header.

I just had to patch my old rusted pipe that connects the muffler and header with Tiger Patch. You put a piece of tin over the hole, wrap it with this stuff, run the engine for 20 mins., it melts down and then hardens.

Since the gap is so wide between the new muffler and header, I plan to cut the old tailpipe section to put over the stock header, wrap it with some Tiger Patch, then wrap it with some tin, still more patch over that, then mount the exhaust and clamp it.

Does this sound stupid to you? Anyone have any experience with this?

• xr500_89

Posted April 06, 2007 - 10:03 AM

you could just try packing it with extra fiberglass

• rebelventurer

Posted April 06, 2007 - 10:06 AM

You should just breakdown and buy the xrs only silencer too :bonk: I meant to say header!

• angiethedog

Posted April 06, 2007 - 10:11 AM

I don't ride on dirt, just the city. I prefer to be louder.

• rebelventurer

Posted April 06, 2007 - 11:07 AM

The xrs only silencer is a 100db exhaust without the quiet core insert. Thats pretty darn loud! But with header you have a rust free, matching system and will boost your bottom end too!

• Billahjack

Posted April 06, 2007 - 11:32 AM

The XrsOnly "Silencer" is an oxymoron in this context. I think you can tune the sound level on that one by reducing discs.

• angiethedog

Posted April 06, 2007 - 11:59 AM

Is there a HP gain with it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Whiteman

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:53 PM

The XrsOnly "Silencer" is an oxymoron in this context. I think you can tune the sound level on that one by reducing discs.

The new one is not a disc system. I think they came out with them in 03 or 04. I have a full system on order and they are still on back order. I was told they should be in tomorrow. I was told that last week and the week before that too. From what I have researched this is the pipe for a 650l. I will let you know when I get it I have heard from someone on this thread they are worth the wait.

• rebelventurer

Posted April 06, 2007 - 07:20 PM

The xrs only full stainless system is the Best you can get, and the latest incarnation does not use discs, and is rated at 100 db, with the quiet core insert 96 db. I would be willing to wait awhile for the best exhaust out there, the quality and design is second to none, fit and finish is awesome, power gains probably on par with other exhausts, but the durability factor makes it the best! My 2 cents :bonk:
Whiteman, next time you call them ask for Kamell he will tell you straight up when you will get your exhaust!

• xrltim

Posted April 06, 2007 - 07:26 PM

That stuff that you are using to patch up the exhaust, or in this case make a spacer/gasket will only last a little while. The high temp and vibration will kill it pretty quickly. If you really want to use the undersize header pipe you should take it down to a muffler shop and have them weld a piece of pipe on the end of it that will match the I.D. of your new silencer. It will probably only cost 20 bucks or so and you won't have to screw with it again. Or, you could double up on the compressable gasket that belongs there anyway, that might be too much though. Just a thought.....:bonk:

• goblin127

Posted April 06, 2007 - 08:01 PM

That stuff that you are using to patch up the exhaust, or in this case make a spacer/gasket will only last a little while. The high temp and vibration will kill it pretty quickly. If you really want to use the undersize header pipe you should take it down to a muffler shop and have them weld a piece of pipe on the end of it that will match the I.D. of your new silencer. It will probably only cost 20 bucks or so and you won't have to screw with it again. Or, you could double up on the compressable gasket that belongs there anyway, that might be too much though. Just a thought.....:bonk:

This is the way to go if your not going to get the header. I've got the full system and it is every thing rebel says it is.

• angiethedog

Posted April 06, 2007 - 09:50 PM

They don't make the header for the XL600R anymore. I would've bought one if they did. According to XR's Only they sold me the last exhaust for the Xl600R they had.

I actually mounted it today but used a different method. I used a small sheet of metal mesh to wrap the header and covered that in muffler cement which is almost like mud. It seemed to work rather well. I will let you know if it holds up.

I will post some photos tomorrow.

• rebelventurer

Posted April 06, 2007 - 10:18 PM

This is the way to go if your not going to get the header. I've got the full system and it is every thing rebel says it is.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Goblin. Thats funny I have a friend that just purchased the full system for the xr600R. Check with Kamell at xrs only he will give the straight scoop on the availability of the header! :bonk:

• angiethedog

Posted April 07, 2007 - 11:02 AM

XL and XR's are different. They aren't compatible.

• angiethedog

Posted April 07, 2007 - 11:51 AM

This thing sounds like a monster now!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.