Acerbis Tank Help!

10 replies to this topic
  • VFR000M

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:44 AM

Alright, here are the instructions....they suck.
http://the-sanders.c...mor/Acerbis.jpg

My question is the top right diagram I do not understand??? It goes along with the instruction, "Drill an 8mm hole in teh ACERBIS fuel tank and insert the fuel vent...." ???? Isn't the fuel tank already vented from the gas cap? See pics of the gas cap and the additional fuel vent they want me to drill into the tank?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Secondly, they want me to screw the petcock directly into the plastic tank? What I can do to better ensure that the screw seals to the plastics without creating a possible leak?

• ringding

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:53 AM

is there a hole in the top of the cap already??, dosnt look like it, and that thing aint the petcock, it looks like it is used to stick the rubber hose onto

ok so you drill the 8 mm hole through the top of the cap and then screw in the metal thing so the small end is sticking out of the top of the cap

i would wait for another oppinion before proceding, i could be wrong

• VFR000M

Posted April 06, 2007 - 07:01 AM

Yes, I know that's not the petcock...the petcock screw directly into the plastic tank...I want to seal them (better than the metal to plastic), but don't know what to use?

Secondly, the gas cap is vented, the 2 holes on the bottom go through to the top where I would put a hose. The metal piece I show in the picture above, the instructions tell me to drill a hole in the tank and install it????? Doesn't seem right. Nor do I understand why the tank needs to be vented at any place other than the gas cap? Weird?! Thanks for the reply, hopefully I can get this sorted out.

• 25year2stroker

Posted April 06, 2007 - 07:29 AM

The fuel cap is vented as is, i threw that part, the fuel line they supplied the clamps and the plastic T in the spare parts drawer. Go buy some good fuel line,clamps,brass T mount it up screw the cap on and fill'er up i did'nt drill anything. I have a 05 and the seat post needed to go in the "yz" hole but other than that everything else was cut & dry.

• clark4131

Posted April 06, 2007 - 02:55 PM

Disregard that part of the directions. I believe they are for the dry break system and don't apply to the petcock...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bageera

Posted April 13, 2007 - 04:48 PM

Clark is right about the dry brake filler vent. You seem to know everything!

Just throw it in the drawer labeled, "Important junk, keep forever!"

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 14, 2007 - 11:02 PM

Do not drill any holes into your new tank. You don't need that particular thing.

I second the suggestion to get a new set of hoses. I put the cheap hoses on and they finally cracked and burned resulting in gas all over the place.

Get about 3 feet of 1/4 inch fuel line from the local auto parts store. This will be a thick heat resistant tube. Get a brass T connector. Connect everything up. On the right side where the hose meets the petcock, I put three hose clamps right next to each other. The extra hose clamps absorb the heat from the head bolt (if you have that problem like I do)

• boer

Posted April 15, 2007 - 12:44 AM

I thought Acerbis stopped making this tank:confused:

where did you still get one?:thumbsup:

• VFR000M

Posted April 16, 2007 - 05:39 AM

I thought Acerbis stopped making this tank:confused:

where did you still get one?:thumbsup:

\
Thanks everyone for your responses. I bought this from the local dealer...I think they ordered directly from ACERBIS.

• irondawg

Posted April 18, 2007 - 10:43 AM

For the petcock screws, apply some Yamabond 4 gasket sealer. Not only will it seal the petcock/tank it acts as a thread locker.

• Derfboy

Posted November 24, 2013 - 10:48 AM

For the petcock screws, apply some Yamabond 4 gasket sealer. Not only will it seal the petcock/tank it acts as a thread locker.

I know this is an old forum but will Yamabond hold up to gas to seal the petcock?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.