When you replace the chain

9 replies to this topic
  • C-P

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:02 AM

Do you have to replace the sprockets, too? My chain's looking kinky here and there, probably time to slap a new one on. The sprockets look ok, but I'm not an expert. Definitely nothing like the wear photos I've seen here and there on TT. What's the technical approach? Thanks!

• WR_Jason

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:09 AM

They should be changed as a set if you have he $. If not you will wear the new chain quickly to what ever the condition of the sprockets is.

• sts475

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:11 AM

Hi there !

My rule of thumb is to only replace the chain if the sprockets are good. A really worn out chain will prematurely wear good sprockets and vice versa. I seem to get better wear out of sprockets than I do chain. I think this is because I replace the chain more often. In the long run, this has paid off for me.
Replacing both is a good idea, just more expensive.

I hope this helps.

STS.

• 642MX

Posted April 06, 2007 - 04:36 PM

I always replace them as a set. :bonk:

• witdogg

Posted April 06, 2007 - 04:40 PM

I change the back sprocket and chain at the same time, every time. The front I don’t because it is steel and it seems to last longer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • C-P

Posted April 07, 2007 - 06:50 AM

Hmm...I'll take serious look at the sprockets...I can probably afford to do it all, but hate to waste good parts when it's all wear and tear anyway. My biggest concern was the chain fitting the sprockets properly, not jumping off, etc.

Another thing:

will I see any benefits from O-ring vs non O-ring chain? Thanks again!

• Bamster

Posted April 08, 2007 - 05:51 AM

I change the back sprocket and chain at the same time, every time. The front I don’t because it is steel and it seems to last longer.

The total opposite happens for me. The front seems to wear out quicker and I change it when I see a little wear on them (they are cheap) before they start streching the chain. The chain and rear sprocket last longer for me that way. When I see that the rear is starting to wear and the chain is worn out I change it all. I'll go through 3 or 4 front sprockets before I change out the whole set.

Buy an "O" it will last much longer. Well worth the money.

My rule of thumb is to only replace the chain if the sprockets are good. A really worn out chain will prematurely wear good sprockets and vice versa. I seem to get better wear out of sprockets than I do chain. I think this is because I replace the chain more often. In the long run, this has paid off for me.
Replacing both is a good idea, just more expensive.

This will make your sprockets last longer too as long as there is no or very little wear on the sprockets but putting a new chain on bad sprockets will wear out a chain quickly.

• 642MX

Posted April 08, 2007 - 05:59 AM

will I see any benefits from O-ring vs non O-ring chain? Thanks again!

O-Ring chains last about 3 times as long as a standard chain. :thumbsup:

• C-P

Posted April 08, 2007 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for all the wisdom...what kind of wear do you look for on the sprockets? Rounding of the teeth, uneven wearing of the side of the teeth? My sprocks look good to me, but I don't know what I might be missing. Thanks again!

• griffithds

Posted April 09, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Sprocket wear usually results in the rounding over of the teeth. (The top of the teeth leans toward the front sprocket.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.