Okanogan County Trails? Is there any?

8 replies to this topic
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

OK, went to the USFS site for Okanogan National Forest, see nothing on "motorized trails". I have 20+ acres next to the Okanogan National Forest, and have been over there quite a bit working on the land and have seen motorcycles and quads going up to stage at Crawfish Lake (6 miles north of Omak, then east in the hills 15 miles out of Riverside), which is a sno-park in the winter. This is less than 2 miles from my land, so this would be a sweet deal. Anyone have any info on htis area or any area for trail riding in the Okanogan National Forest?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goatbrother

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

Yes, there are some nice trails. On the north side of Lake Chelan, Foggy Dew, Sawtooth, Gold Creek, South Navare, Cub Lake, Horse Head pass, Dead Horse pass, Uno Peak, Eagle Lakes. The passes are the highest elevations for motorized trails in the state, 7000 feet. Extremly scenic, all roadless, camps at most of the lakes(trail access only), watch out for those dang Marmots, 20 pound rodents that like to play frogger with the motorbikes, they will dart out across the trail right in front of you.

Oh, part of the area is in the Wenatchee NF. Check it out, it's the cream of the state.

• NumberCruncher

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:14 AM

OK, went to the USFS site for Okanogan National Forest, see nothing on "motorized trails". I have 20+ acres next to the Okanogan National Forest, and have been over there quite a bit working on the land and have seen motorcycles and quads going up to stage at Crawfish Lake (6 miles north of Omak, then east in the hills 15 miles out of Riverside), which is a sno-park in the winter. This is less than 2 miles from my land, so this would be a sweet deal. Anyone have any info on htis area or any area for trail riding in the Okanogan National Forest?

Here is a link to "Dualsportwa's" Foggy Dew trip last fall. It doesn't get much better than this.

These are fairly advanced trails, but the scenery is spectacular.

Greg

• hayshaker

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:17 AM

I know you have trails around Omak. I have had riders from that area ride with me here in the desert talk about them. Where are these trails? I dont know and the locals seem to be protective of them.

Like mentioned the Sawtooth Backcountry is sweet stuff but is not in your backyard. Did you find the Okanagon Travel Plan (a .pdf file)? This might help give you a general idea.

TONY

• robl245

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:41 AM

Here is a link to "Dualsportwa's" Foggy Dew trip last fall. It doesn't get much better than this.

These are fairly advanced trails, but the scenery is spectacular.

Greg

Hey cool, those pictures are of one of my WA riding trips last year. I met up with a couple friends (Brian and Gavin) from western WA out there that weekend. Yup, the Sawtooth / Foggy Dew trails are one of my absolute favorite spots to spend a couple of days. That was a great trip. We actually ran into one of the annual work parties while we were up there. They were blasting with dynamite on the Foggy Dew trail that Saturday!

Here are my pictures from that trip:
http://robl245.smugm...046/1/132604732

As far as trails a little closer to your property, I'd contact the closest ranger district office. Here are the contact numbers:

Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests
Headquarters
215 Melody Lane
Wenatchee, WA 98801
(509) 664-9200 Voice
(509) 664-9280 Fax
(509) 664-9201 TTY

Okanogan Valley Office
1240 South Second Avenue
Okanogan, WA 98841

(509) 826-3275 Voice
(509) 826-3789 Fax
(509) 826-3765 TTY

Tonasket Ranger District
1 West Winesap
Tonasket, WA 98855
(509) 486-2186 Voice
(509) 486-1318 Fax
(509) 486-5144 TTY

Methow Valley Ranger District
24 West Chewuch
Winthrop, WA 98862
(509) 996-4003 Voice
(509) 996-2208 Fax

• NumberCruncher

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

Hey cool, those pictures are of one of my WA riding trips last year. I met up with a couple friends (Brian and Gavin) from western WA out there that weekend. Yup, the Sawtooth / Foggy Dew trails are one of my absolute favorite spots to spend a couple of days. That was a great trip. We actually ran into one of the annual work parties while we were up there. They were blasting with dynamite on the Foggy Dew trail that Saturday!

Here are my pictures from that trip:
http://robl245.smugm...046/1/132604732

Great pics. Which lake is that on page 1 and page 5?

Is that a KDX you ride? I sold my 2004 TE250 to Gavin and now have a 2007. I have found I really like the smaller bikes in the tight woods. A light feeling bike makes for comfortably all day rides, not to mention the greater fuel economy. I think a KDX would work really well up there. I intend to hit Foggy Dew this summer/fall. Maybe we can get a group of some sort together?

Greg

• robl245

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

Well, this:
Posted Image
is Boiling Lake. You see it just as you pass over Horse Head pass heading east.

This:
Posted Image
is Cooney Lake. This lake is off the Foggy Dew trail. You have to leave the bikes and hike over to it. That ridge in the background is Sawtooth ridge. Boiling lake is just on the other side of that.

I go up there at some point each summer. If you'd like, I will make sure to let you know when we'll be riding there this next summer.

Yup, that's a KDX. I love 'em - they're nice and cheap and work surprisingly well with a few modifications. I've had two so far. Had an XR before that.

Sorry about jacking the thread!:bonk:

• cowboyona426

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

As far as on the Okanogan NF, there isn't hardly squat right now. There are the above mentioned Foggy Dew/Sawtooth area trails, and they are well worth the drive to the Methow from the Tonasket area! I work for the Okanogan NF, and according to our own data, there are only 5 miles of motorized trail on the Tonasket side, 25 on the Methow (being the Foggy Dew trails). Other than that, on NF land you are limited to roads inaccessible to passenger cars- ie blocked with trees, root wads, rocks, tank traps, etc. UNLESS you have a plate.
However, there is some good news here too. While the forest motorized trail system flat sucks, there are quite a few good trails on WA DNR land I've heard about. I've never spent time on the DNR land so I can't comment, but I've heard that they are okay for bikes and quad-friendly also. The other good news is that the Okanogan-Wenatchee NF is going through the Travel Plan Revision Process right now, so we are analyzing the need for motorized rec trails and trying to determine what changes will be made under the new OHV rule the FS is implementing. Under the new rule motorized travel (this includes 4x4's, ATV's, bikes, any wheeled vehicle with a motor) will be restricted to designated open roads, trails, and areas. Under the system we have now, you can technically go anywhere you damn well please unless an area is designated as CLOSED (ie, wilderness areas). I doubt big changes are likely, but there likely to be several small changes that will create a few more opportunities for us. What we are hoping to find is some circular routes that make sense that we can include in our system of trails. So, for those of you who ride a little known trail that is a ton of fun, PLEASE, PLEASE let us know! It's the only way to ensure that your favorite places to ride have even a chance of being included in the Travel Plan.
OK, rant off now :bonk: Good luck finding some places to ride near your place, if nothing else go to the Tonasket FS office and talk to Mark Woods, I don't know if he still rides bikes but I know he used to and may be able to help you out. Also see if you can get in touch with the Chelan Ridge Riders (I think that's their name), they are the group from Chelan that does quite a bit of maintenance on the Foggy Dew trail system.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:26 AM

Cowboyona426, I was hoping you'd chime in. I do have a plated WR450F, but have other non plated toys too. The NF I'm close to is part of the Tonasket Ranger District also. Thanks for the good info. I dont plan on being a full time resident over there for about 10 yrs, but in the mean time, I'm getting it all ready for habitation. :bonk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.