'89 XR600 rear sprocket?

16 replies to this topic
  • BMEPdoc

Posted April 05, 2007 - 04:11 PM

Hi folks - I was in the process of ordering an Ironman sprocket for my BRP..here's my e-mail and their response :

[COLOR="black"][COLOR="Blue"]Hi...I'm looking for a high quality rear 48-52 tooth sprocket for my 1989 Honda XR 600R.. The aluminum ones I've used in the past have an unusually short service life. I'd prefer a true cro-mo unit to an alloy. Do you have anything for this application?[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Regards

[COLOR="blue"][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"]Thanks for your email. Ironman sprockets would have a spectacular sevice life on your bike, but I only have a listing for the 1989 650R, not the 600R. I don't have a cross reference, but if it is the same part then that would be a solution for you. Your local Honda dealer might be able to help you determine if the rear sprockets are the same on those two bikes. Ironman sprockets are available online here:

Ironman Sprockets

Let me know if I can do anything else for you. [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

is that about?...

• Xr650rhonda

Posted April 05, 2007 - 04:32 PM

I think he was looking at this chart.

http://www.dirttrick...g_sprockets.htm

• BMEPdoc

Posted April 05, 2007 - 05:06 PM

hmmmmmmm...Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with another overpriced, underperforming aluminum cog... :bonk:

• Xr650rhonda

Posted April 05, 2007 - 05:47 PM

hmmmmmmm...Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with another overpriced, underperforming aluminum cog... :bonk:

I'm not so sure, the xr600's and L's had a recessed bolting pattern, the 650r's had a tapered hole bolting pattern. I just don't know the cross reference for a 89 and which one it is?

• BMEPdoc

Posted April 05, 2007 - 06:21 PM

Now, that's interesting. If I recall correctly, I DO believe one of the bikes (we have several) does indeed have a recessed, as opposed to tapered sprocket indexing fitment. I'll have to take a look. If that's the case, then I'd assume a simple bolt swap would do the trick..nawwww...can't be that easy. I'll check. Thanks a zillion for the help!

• daddyk

Posted April 06, 2007 - 07:23 AM

Rocky Mountain sells rear steel sprockets for 18.99 and their chain and sprocket kits for 65-70$ I've had good luck with them.

• Border Patrol

Posted April 06, 2007 - 07:24 AM

I've been running the cheapie steel sprockets from Rocky Mountain with no issues at all.

http://www.rockymoun...llVehParts=true

Cant argue with the price!

• xr500_89

Posted April 06, 2007 - 10:08 AM

ive got a few heavy duty steel ones for my bike if you might be interested in buying one i think i could spare one

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted April 06, 2007 - 11:05 AM

Sidewinder has them in tool steel and titanium, but be prepared to pay though, but is quality stuff!
Or you can try ebay seller Dirtparts, they will sell a combo RK x ring chain and JT steel sprockets for $90

• Redlines

Posted April 06, 2007 - 11:07 AM

I got a Talon 48 Tooth steel brand new in Black I will sell for $30 shipped

• dirkdelaney3t

Posted April 09, 2007 - 09:01 PM

Not sure where you went for that response. Dirttricks.com makes Ironman sprockets. I know them well, and after talking to them about this thread, the above response did not come from Dirt Tricks. They have discontinued the 600 sprockets, which are the same as the 650L sprockets. They use a counter bored 10mm sprocket bolt, and not the regular 8mm counter sunk bolt. They said that by June they will start making them again due to people asking for them. ....FYI

• ulmanb

Posted April 24, 2007 - 11:53 AM

not sure if this will work on the 600, but an idea.

On my 1994 xr250 the stock sprocket was shot. I had my new take off sprocket from my 2003 crf450. The hole patterns were the same, but the bolt holes were smaller on the crf sprocket and the holes required teh taperd head machine screw (dont know proper name). I ended up drilling the holes to the same size as the xr250 holes and buying some tapered head bolts at the local bolt bin. The sprocket then fit up nicely. I even used the stock crf450 chain which was too weak for the 450, but plenty strong enough for the xr250.

• asf

Posted April 24, 2007 - 05:33 PM

I had this discussion with another person on this, but they are running CR sprockets on their 600. Its not jsut tapered vs flat according tot he manual...The factory bolt spec of the XR sprocket is M10 width, but the CR is only M8, but he swears they both are the same diameter. If you go to talon.co.uk you'll see the collection of sprocket bolts.

Even if you could run sprockets off the newer CR by swapping bolts, problem for you is that Im pretty sure the 89 drum rear end has a different hole pattern than the 91+ disk rear end bikes.

I swapped my 89 to disk and I would recommend it! :applause:

• ulmanb

Posted April 25, 2007 - 03:46 AM

"I had this discussion with another person on this, but they are running CR sprockets on their 600."

FWIW, I beleive CR & CRF sprockets are interchangeable.

• Rangerfng

Posted April 25, 2007 - 05:02 AM

Renthal sprockets are great, also primary drive. not to pricy.

• creeky

Posted April 25, 2007 - 06:00 AM

Rocky Mountain sells rear steel sprockets for 18.99 and their chain and sprocket kits for 65-70$ I've had good luck with them.

Ditto.

• asf

Posted March 29, 2010 - 06:39 PM

"I had this discussion with another person on this, but they are running CR sprockets on their 600."

FWIW, I beleive CR & CRF sprockets are interchangeable.

I agree, I was talking about someone running CRF/CR sprockets on an XR hub.

I received a sprocket from thumpertalk a year or so ago and went to put it on and it looks like it is a Xr400/Cr/CRF M8 bolt rather than the M10 that i need

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.