What’s the best Battery for a Toy Hauler?

13 replies to this topic
  • witdogg

Posted April 05, 2007 - 10:11 AM

I have a Weekend Warrior and I need to buy new Batteries for it. What is a good trailer battery? I have had a few Optima Batteries in the past for vehicles and I have not been happy with them. A friend of mine told me to buy Trojan Batteries for the trailer but I have never heard of those, anyone running those? Any other suggestions?

• MX4Life

Posted April 05, 2007 - 10:21 AM

See if you have room for a group 27 battery. Most RVs come with the smaller group 24, the 27 will give you power over those long weekends. I really don't have a brand preferance.

• ubu

Posted April 05, 2007 - 11:31 AM

Two Trojan 6V batteries wired in series seems to be a popular choice from my reading. The 6V are the ones they use in golf carts.

• Pukeballs

Posted April 05, 2007 - 11:51 AM

Check rv.net for info on the 6volt batteries. They got tons of info and even wiring diagrams. Just do a search for it.

• texas929

Posted April 05, 2007 - 11:59 AM

2 6v batteries :bonk: Trojan or Interstate U2200

What kind of WW do you have? Make sure you have enough room for the 6v before you buy them.

• witdogg

Posted April 05, 2007 - 12:02 PM

Its a Super Lite FK2100. Are the 6V batteries a lot bigger?

• ubu

Posted April 05, 2007 - 03:10 PM

Its a Super Lite FK2100. Are the 6V batteries a lot bigger?

The reason I don't have 6V is because 2 of them won't fit in the battery box of my cabover, plus the $$$$. I originally read about them on RV.net, too.

• SMarquez

Posted April 05, 2007 - 03:14 PM

The reason I don't have 6V is because 2 of them won't fit in the battery box of my cabover, plus the $$$$. I originally read about them on RV.net, too.

Costco in Socal sells the 6v golf cart batts for $62 each. You should be able to find batery boxes at a golf cart repair place.

• witdogg

Posted April 05, 2007 - 03:41 PM

Whats the deal with 6V? Why are they better?

• damone

Posted April 05, 2007 - 04:32 PM

Last longer w/o charge

• ChrisKring

Posted April 05, 2007 - 04:41 PM

Optima Yellow top Commericial

• loufish

Posted April 05, 2007 - 05:37 PM

I run two Grp 27 Interstate Marine batteries in my tent trailer, because all my camping is "dry" no electrical hook ups.
I lot of guys suggest the better setup then mine would be two 6v golf cart batteries in series as has been already posted before...The golf cart batteries are made to provide more amps for longer, and can go to a deeper discharge and not hurt them, that's the advantage.

But there are heavier and take up more room, so not every trailer can accomidate them.

At a minumum, I would run my setup, and if you have the room then the golf cart style would be better...

• Bansheezz

Posted April 06, 2007 - 05:47 AM

Whats the deal with 6V? Why are they better?

6Vs are about the same size as a group 24 12V, only difference is they're taller. 6Vs have half the number of cells/plates compare to the 12Vs, the cells/plates are much larger compare to the 12Vs. When you wire 2 6Vs together in series, it becomes one big 12v. Some wire 2 12Vs parallel, but you still have the smaller cells/plates because they're 12Vs.

• loufish

Posted April 06, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Some wire 2 12Vs parallel, but you still have the smaller cells/plates because they're 12Vs.

Uh...yeah...you wouldn't want to wire them in series...:bonk:

My two 12v batts hold up rather well....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.