07 "Pinging" - first ride WTF

12 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:49 PM

So I bought my 07 2 weeks ago, brought it home went up and down the drive way a couple times and then put it on the stand for a week and a half to make all necessary mods.

Finally got it all back together tonight and took it for a ride around the neighborhood - Bike pulls real good, (this is my 4th WR so I'm not blown away but it pulls good) anyway get it into 3rd gear and it lugs a little and starts pinging...:bonk:

Still had the gas in it from the dealership so I am hoping at this point that it was a lower octane fuel (please... I hope)... I have never had a WR ping but always run 92 octane or better....I've drained the fuel and will put some good fuel in it tomorrow and hopefully try it again..

Any thoughts guys?

• xrmarty

Posted April 04, 2007 - 09:03 PM

That would freak me out too on a brand new bike. My guess is old fuel or low octane. If it continues to ping I would definitely try octane boost. What's the compression ratio anyway on the 07's? Maybe its higher than previous years?

• SXP

Posted April 05, 2007 - 06:02 AM

So I bought my 07 2 weeks ago, brought it home went up and down the drive way a couple times and then put it on the stand for a week and a half to make all necessary mods.

Finally got it all back together tonight and took it for a ride around the neighborhood - Bike pulls real good, (this is my 4th WR so I'm not blown away but it pulls good) anyway get it into 3rd gear and it lugs a little and starts pinging...:bonk:

Still had the gas in it from the dealership so I am hoping at this point that it was a lower octane fuel (please... I hope)... I have never had a WR ping but always run 92 octane or better....I've drained the fuel and will put some good fuel in it tomorrow and hopefully try it again..

Any thoughts guys?

It's not the chain, right? A loose chains slapping on the slider sounds awfully close to pinging.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 05, 2007 - 09:19 AM

It's not the chain, right? A loose chains slapping on the slider sounds awfully close to pinging.

No, not the chain. I expected that and at first said to my self that chain slap sounds a little high pitched and sharp, couldn't be the motor :naughty:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I leave tommorow morning for 9 days of riding, I'll be bringing the 04' just in case :bonk:

• BIG HAL

Posted April 05, 2007 - 09:26 AM

Why? Just buy 2 gallans of race fuel and mix it with your pump gas!!! It's not that difficult.. Do not run straight pump gas.. Pump gas sucks!! And with the ethanol added it's even worse...

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 05, 2007 - 09:27 AM

That would freak me out too on a brand new bike. My guess is old fuel or low octane. If it continues to ping I would definitely try octane boost. What's the compression ratio anyway on the 07's? Maybe its higher than previous years?

I don't know what the compression spec is, I have not even compared it. I'm betting low octane or old fuel.... I have been looking at this bike on the show room floor for 3 months so my guess is the fuel is atleast that old... shame on me for not just draining it right off the bat.

Fingers crossed!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigdrtrdr

Posted April 05, 2007 - 09:55 AM

Hey don check your PMs

• kerosene

Posted April 05, 2007 - 11:57 AM

Lean jetting?

Checked the plug?

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 05, 2007 - 12:49 PM

Compression ratio is 12.3:1

• sts475

Posted April 06, 2007 - 06:20 AM

Hi there !

I run mine on California 92 octane and it will only ping if I lug it too hard. I am still getting used to it's power spread and have to learn when to downshift it. . Try some fresh gas, if it still pings on 92 octane, you may have some other problem. Take it back to the dealer and make them fix it. Yamaha owes alot of people something for the air cleaner cage debacle ! By the way, I never rode mine stock and I have all of the free mods done with the PMB exhaust insert, 175 main, 45 pilot, 45 leak jet, and 06 yz450 needle.

Good Luck !

STS.

• gearb0x

Posted April 10, 2007 - 12:54 AM

my old mans 07 was pinging when he lugged it.

He found out he had a hole in the filter cage, he fixed that & removed spark arrester + added some free flowing tip to the exhaust and that stopped the pinging

• dominator426

Posted April 10, 2007 - 04:23 PM

My 2002 426 (12.5:1) always pinged on 92 pump gas. I've been mixing 40% low lead 100 aviation gas with 60% 91 pump gas (best available now) for the last four years. The ping is gone and it's also more tractable and crisper running. Anything less than 40% 100 LL and the ping reappears, especially in higher gears between about 6000 and 7500 rpm.

• Nick Marlow

Posted April 10, 2007 - 04:45 PM

My 2002 426 (12.5:1) always pinged on 92 pump gas. I've been mixing 40% low lead 100 aviation gas with 60% 91 pump gas (best available now) for the last four years. The ping is gone and it's also more tractable and crisper running. Anything less than 40% 100 LL and the ping reappears, especially in higher gears between about 6000 and 7500 rpm.

One of the same reasons i run 50/50 race/91 pump in mine.. A little crisper throttle responce and no pinging from lugging my big butt around :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.