How hard is it to change fork springs?

33 replies to this topic
  • ingramo

Posted April 08, 2007 - 08:13 PM

Hey Gray I've got a clunk sound in the front end when the forks are rebounding. Did I do something wrong or is this just normal? I went from the stock fork spring rate to a .52kg. I just need to know if this is normal and I just have to deal with it or if somethings wrong.

• ingramo

Posted April 08, 2007 - 08:47 PM

If anyone else has an ideas as to what could be wrong, please feel free to chime in.

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2007 - 10:08 PM

Did you get the rod lock nuts tightened?

• ingramo

Posted April 09, 2007 - 11:52 AM

Yes I did get the lock nuts tight. Standing next to the bike if you pull up on the bars its like the forks top out and it makes a god awful clunking sound, like they're rebounding too much. I've backed the rebound all the way out and this didn't help either.

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2007 - 01:36 PM

Are you sure that:

It didn't do this before?

The head bearings aren't loose?

• ingramo

Posted April 09, 2007 - 03:26 PM

to answer your questions: no and absolutely not.

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2007 - 04:29 PM

It seems that I've heard of this, but as far as what you might have done wrong, I'm afraid I can't think of it at the moment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ingramo

Posted April 09, 2007 - 05:00 PM

Yeah I've searched a couple of posts and checked what they thought might be wrong but to no avail. Anyone else have any ideas??

• moochie

Posted April 09, 2007 - 07:59 PM

Standing next to the bike if you pull up on the bars its like the forks top out and it makes a god awful clunking sound, like they're rebounding too much. I've backed the rebound all the way out and this didn't help either.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying... "backing the rebound all the way out" would mean that you lightened the rebound dampening all the way. The stiffer springs and lightest rebound might give the topping out effect that your feeling?

But then again, I'd imagine that you've already tried to stiffen the rebound by turning the rebound adjustment all the way in to see if that made any kind of difference.

Did you change the oil in both chambers? Are you certain you got the correct amount of oil in each chamber?

• ingramo

Posted April 09, 2007 - 08:05 PM

According to the manual it said something like 11.5oz for each leg. Could too much oil cause this? I'm truly a suspension noob!

• jamiehughes

Posted April 09, 2007 - 08:06 PM

mine made that noise once when i actually broke one of the springs in my fork. made kind of a jingling,clunking sound. if they were new springs i would sure hope that wasn't the problem. sounds like you better take them apart again just to be sure you didn't foobar something. better to be safe than sorry.

• ingramo

Posted April 09, 2007 - 08:08 PM

mine made that noise once when i actually broke one of the springs in my fork. made kind of a jingling,clunking sound. if they were new springs i would sure hope that wasn't the problem. sounds like you better take them apart again just to be sure you didn't foobar something. better to be safe than sorry.

Yea thats what I was thinking. I was up pretty late so maybe I forgot a vital step somewhere. Any more ideas? Keep um coming guys.

• tnl

Posted April 09, 2007 - 08:25 PM

If anyone else has an ideas as to what could be wrong, please feel free to chime in.

My 05 had that and the suspension shop called it "negative rebound"? They added a shim like washer somewhere in the fork to resolve it. I noticed this when I was holding the top outer chamber in my hands and gave it a swift up and down motion and heard a clank noise coming from the bottom tube?? Apparently the shop new about this "negative rebound" issue with the Kyab's?

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2007 - 10:02 PM

Too much oil in the outer chamber will cause harsh compression, not a clunk on rebound. All of the rebound damping is done within the inner chamber, and if you did not open the cartridges, nothing should have changed.

I believe the issue tnl raised is unique to the AOSS '05 fork.

moochie raises a good point. If it rebounds too fast, you need more rebound damping, so you'd want to turn the clickers in, not out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.