new fork/shock springs

4 replies to this topic
  • wes_scooter

Posted April 04, 2007 - 04:13 PM

does anyone repalce just the springs vs. getting a real suspension job(valving and such). i just ordered new springs for my 06 wr450 since i'm 230#, but plan on running stock valving for now. good idea or bad idea...

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 04, 2007 - 04:17 PM

does anyone repalce just the springs vs. getting a real suspension job(valving and such). i just ordered new springs for my 06 wr450 since i'm 230#, but plan on running stock valving for now. good idea or bad idea...

I did just that........ used the Race Tech calculator and installed the right springs front and rear and it made all the difference in the world on my 04'.

Just got my 07' and I have lost 20 lbs. (divorce's can be good for something), and I hope that the staock springs are a good rate for my weight but we'll see...

You'll be extremely happy with just the spring change and it won't cost you near as much!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 04, 2007 - 09:30 PM

I did the same. I went to race tech, and ordered the springs that they said I should have. Then I got the motopower video to show me exactly how to change them out.

3 hours later, it was done, including setting the correct sag.

It was a lot more stable and the bike seems to turn just a little better. I'm 210lbs without gear on and I notice a difference.

• OringGroove

Posted April 05, 2007 - 01:43 AM

Ok I have done this also! One trick to remember is that Yamaha Fork oil is real light! I tried 7.5weight oil, new harder springs for my weight and the original valving. Couldn't get the clickers right where I wanted them.
The result was a fork that hardened up way to early.
Since going back to 2.5 weight fork oil its all good!
Change your oil when you change the spirings but use lite weight!( 2.5 )
Its an easy job!
Bike feels very good now but will blow thru on a big jump! It is after all heavier then the YZ its based on lol!
I changed my springs with my weight including gear in mind!
Unless you are racing competitively there is not much to gain getting the valves done!
You should not need that!
try the springs and lite fork oil first!

• Martys

Posted April 07, 2007 - 05:08 AM

The Motopower Video DVD for the Kayaba Shock was released this weekend. It shows you how to do the complete shock rebuild including setting the sag and determining if you have the right spring.

The book recommends replacing the oil every year. I didn't do this for two years because I thought the OEM recommendation was just a ploy to sell more oil/seals. However, the oil breaks down and doesn't dampen as well. I was very pleased with the improved performance of the shock after I changed the oil.

Many people are afraid of working on their shock. In my opinion, its easier to do the shock than the forks. You just need a source of nitrogen to charge it. You can generally find nitrogen at a local bike shop, welding store or air conditioning repair shop.

Good luck

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.