From the pavement to the Dirt

5 replies to this topic
  • sawman066

Posted April 04, 2007 - 02:57 PM

well been a lurker now for quite sometime, as things have it my situation has changed. I just got a new job driving for Coast Mountain Bus Co. in vancouver Canada and seeing as I need to keep my licence clean I decided to sell the ticket machine, my 04 Z750 and in turn return to the dirt where no cops are hidding around that bend when your doing 120 mph :naughty: So I bought a 01 XR650R havent got to ride it yet because it is getting the street package done so I can plate it. I know it sounds sweet after you get it running :D see I have never had to kick start a street bike since my old rz350 o well I am sure I will figure it out. Just wanted to say what a great resource this website has been so far! and I am just getting started...:bonk: Here are some pics of the new BRP
Posted Image
Posted Image
sad to see it go but...
Posted Image
Posted Image

• rebelventurer

Posted April 04, 2007 - 04:41 PM

Welcome to TT, and congratulations on the new bike! :naughty: :bonk:

• KShow

Posted April 04, 2007 - 05:12 PM

Congrats on the sweet ride, Im running an 01 as well. Awesome bikes, and dont worry about the kick start, its not as scary as most people make it sound. Just make sure its uncorked, and jetted right as Im sure you know.
For starting what works for me is to gently push(not kick) the kickstarter a few times untill you feel it come to the compression. pull in the de-comp lever(above the clutch) and push kickstarter just enough to rotate the engine a few degrees, release the decomp lever, bring the kickstart up the the top again, and give a good smooth full kick. (its not necessary to jump up and come down on starter with full force, that just results in your foot slipping off the lever and it will catch you in the shin when it swings back). Every bike has its own "ritual" for starting, once you figure yours out, its really easy.
Welcome to TT, lots of good info on BRP, ride on...:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zook350

Posted April 04, 2007 - 09:59 PM

welcome to the club, great looking bike. i recommend rewinding you stator yourself (lots of info available) and get a different headlight (bajadesigns), not that i am putting your bike down or anything but i had the same light and it is not very bright at night and you can't put a brighter bulb in it due to it being plastic. you will be much happier. stator seems scary but just go for it, you'll be happy you did.

• xr8d

Posted April 08, 2007 - 01:12 AM

Nice bike sawman, I just bought an 01 650l from the same dealer(Daytona) a month ago. Check out the forum on for some local rides, see ya on the trails!

• motopsycho650

Posted April 08, 2007 - 06:20 AM

I tried two different drop down's for a plate, both of which flexed enough the get caught by the tire and got ripped off. Even when I re-enforced the rear fender with 3, 1"x3/16" aluminum strips. I finally went with the easy method of bolting the plate to the top of the fender, haven't have an issue since.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.