Michelin Baja vs Kenda K760 Rear

18 replies to this topic
  • drop

Posted April 04, 2007 - 01:05 PM

I'm trying to decide which of these tires to get. The kenda is cheaper but is it as durable? For an XR650R.

• drop

Posted April 04, 2007 - 01:15 PM

What about the michelin desert. Twice as expensive. Is it twice as durable?

• XRR-kat

Posted April 04, 2007 - 06:27 PM

Have you tried either?
I believe the consensus is that Dunlop D606 is the best hard terrain - pavement tire and most durable on the rear. Front many choices but D606 reversed is okay.

I run a D606 rear with Conti TKC80 front and consider this a 50/50 dirt/pavement tire...half *** wherever I go. But looking at Kenda Trackmasters for more off-road ability.

Read where the Mich Baja is twice as expensive but not as durable as the D606. My main point of reference is first DS ride I did was on the D606/TKC80 combo and could not keep up with a KTM640 on damp pavement running Trackmasters. The D606s were greasy when new but the TrackMasters handled fine.

• zodran

Posted April 04, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Never tried a kenda, but I'm a big fan of the baja. They've been outlasting mt21's by about 1/3 for me. They howl like crazy on pavement.
I'd like to try a desert, but just won't spend that much.:bonk:

• rebelventurer

Posted April 04, 2007 - 06:40 PM

I tried (regretfully) the Michelin desert, or was it the baja,:bonk: thinking it would be a great sand tire, and since it was dot rated thought that perhaps it would last, you get what you pay for, Right! Not, the rear was worn so bad after 450 miles of 50/50 riding and was so greasy on the street. Same with the front the knobbies pointed up in a couple hundred miles and was toast after about 600. $240 for the set wasted in less than a thousand miles :bonk: :D
Been using the Dunlop 606's since they last 3000-3500 miles and a set cost what one Michelin cost. Though I must add they are not great at anything, just like the L model itself but they are a good compromise, and are worth the money :naughty:

• rmhrc630

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:05 PM

[quote name='rebelventurer']I tried (regretfully) the Michelin desert, or was it the baja,:bonk: thinking it would be a great sand tire, and since it was dot rated thought that perhaps it would last, you get what you pay for, Right! Not, the rear was worn so bad after 450 miles of 50/50 riding and was so greasy on the street. Same with the front the knobbies pointed up in a couple hundred miles and was toast after about 600. $240 for the set wasted in less than a thousand miles :bonk: :D
Been using the Dunlop 606's since they last 3000-3500 miles and a set cost what one Michelin cost. Though I must add they are not great at anything, just like the L model itself but they are a good compromise, and are worth the money :naughty:[/QUOT

RV I agree with ya on the baja - it is a pos tyre!!!

I wrecked one in 2 days.

The thing I have learnt with the 600s/650s is that even though they dont make more power than a 450MXer they destroy tyres due to weight and torque.

I too use the 606 and find it one of the best for price - it certainly handles the weight of the big 600-650 and lasts more than a weekend

• NavyNuke

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:25 PM

I've had good luck with the K270 rear from kenda. goes pretty well everwhere but really loose stuff like truckhaven at ocotillo wells.

• Billahjack

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:31 PM

The Kenda DOT legal can get ripped up on big rocks. Chunks tear off of it. Really soft terrain (deep sand/dirt) doesn't work too well either. Other than that it is a good tire on dry ground. Pretty good on the street.

The Maxxis IT rear is pretty good for wear. I'm still checking it out. The hard, tall knobs hook-up pretty well. The trick is finding a good front to match the rear traction. I haven't figured it out yet.

Been riding D606 and it seems to last about 200-300 more miles (50/50 dirt/pavement) than the 752 for me. 756 lasts less than the 752.

• Thumpage

Posted April 05, 2007 - 02:34 PM

Let's not all lose the fact that he is asking about the 760 Trackmaster and not the k270 dual sport tire from Kenda.
The Kenda 760 Trackmaster is a DOT tire that can be used for dual sport but is not a dual sport specific tire like the K270 or a Dunlop 606. It is considered a 80% dirt 20% street.
I think this tire is a 'sleeper'. Maybe not well known for the most part or popular in most circles but is a good tire in my opinion. I have run the 760 Trackmaster in the past and it lasted twice as long as a few other tires I have run. I have averaged around 8-12 rides before my tires are toasted. The 760 Trackmaster lasted around 22-24 rides before it was fully spent. It could have used to have been replaced a few rides beforehand but was still .o.k. for what was left of the tread. It is a tuff 6 ply carcuss. It does well in most terrain. The tread compound is very durable in rocky terrian from my experience. The tread pattern is similar to that of the old Dunlop 752 soft terrain tire or their new 952. I believe the knobs on the 760 Trackmaster are taller though than the 952. The carcuss height appears to possibly run slightly small or is rather somewhat flat in profile, so it is best to go with a 120/100 instead. The 120/110 worked well. From the reports that I have read in the past about the Michelin Baja and the Dunlop 606, I think you will definately get better offroad traction performance from the 760 Trackmaster.
I may have to go back to running that tire again sometime.
Drop, if you need to see what the 120/110 size 760 Trackmaster looks like mounted up on a bike just PM me. I will send you a pic of it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drop

Posted April 05, 2007 - 02:52 PM

pm sent

• Thumpage

Posted April 05, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Drop, as requested for a pic here.

Posted Image

Just so it is clear on my end of giving info on this tire; My reference to it's longevity is based on Offroad riding only. I did not use this tire for any dual sporting.

• rebelventurer

Posted April 05, 2007 - 08:52 PM

How about a closeup from the rear showing the profile? Thanks for the info too! :bonk:

• Thumpage

Posted April 05, 2007 - 10:47 PM

How about a closeup from the rear showing the profile? Thanks for the info too! :bonk:

Unfortunately I can't find a pic of the tire on the bike in a full rear shot or otherwise.
If you go to the link below you can at least see the tread up close and personal by clicking on the "large view" button. Here: http://www.rockymoun...roductDetail.do

Again, the tread is very similar or identical to the old Dunlop 752 but the compound is going to be completely different; made to last longer than a soft terrain tire in the rugged stuff.

• rebelventurer

Posted April 05, 2007 - 11:15 PM

Thanks, Thumpage you have been very helpfull :bonk: I will add a little gas to your tank! :naughty:

• drop

Posted April 06, 2007 - 04:05 AM

Looks decent but how wide is it? The Michelin is a 140.

• Thumpage

Posted April 06, 2007 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, Thumpage you have been very helpfull :naughty: I will add a little gas to your tank! :D

Rebel,

Thank you sir! It is very well appreciated. :bonk: Thanks.

• Thumpage

Posted April 06, 2007 - 02:52 PM

Looks decent but how wide is it? The Michelin is a 140.

Drop,

The 760 Trackmaster shown in the pic is a 120/100.
The listed Michelin Baja size of 140/80 is actually the same basic size as a 120/100. Michelins tire sizes are a bit different. From what I have seen from one tire source, their tire size designations are stated as "Old Metric". The carcuss profiles might be slightly different in general also and do vary from tire to tire.
As far as difference in profiles between the Trackmaster and Baja, the Trackmaster has a somewhat flatter footprint than the Baja. The Baja has a rounder profile.

• rebelventurer

Posted April 06, 2007 - 02:56 PM

Thumpage, your welcome when someone helps out like that they should be rewarded!
Drop one thing to consider, the wider the rear tire the harder it is to corner, all mx bikes come with 110 tires because they turn better than with a 140. I have tried 110's and even the michelin in 140, have compromised with a 130 will stick with that for now. The 140 is a bit too wide for cornering well, the 110 was lacking in footprint and traction. For me anyway!

• Thumpage

Posted April 06, 2007 - 11:43 PM

Thumpage, your welcome when someone helps out like that they should be rewarded!
Drop one thing to consider, the wider the rear tire the harder it is to corner, all mx bikes come with 110 tires because they turn better than with a 140. I have tried 110's and even the michelin in 140, have compromised with a 130 will stick with that for now. The 140 is a bit too wide for cornering well, the 110 was lacking in footprint and traction. For me anyway!

Thanks Rebel.

Actually the 140/80s are the same basic size as 120/100s and the 130/80s are basicly 110/100s.
Besides that, there a few factors that play a role in a rear tires turning contribution. It is not only genaral overall carcuss size but also the tires carcuss profile and Knobbie profile.
But with that said, I would have to say I feel that the larger tires are genarally better for the XR650Rs torque and weight. They just seem to provide more general surface area for traction potential. The larger carcuss should also provide better wheel protection from rock hits and other nasties. With a good large durable carcussed tire and heavy tubes, you can air the tire down a little bit and gain a larger tread contact patch for more hookup. There seems to be a little more leeway in doing this with the above mentioned without as much worry of pinch flats and bent rims. Of course you can only do this to a point. I am just pointing out some general benefits of larger carcussed tires for offroad use, especially the tougher carcussed versions with use on the XR650R or other big bikes. :bonk:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.