What did I do wrong?

7 replies to this topic
  • IchWarriorMkII

Posted April 04, 2007 - 05:48 AM

I did an oil change on my bike, after getting it warm, the oil level was above the XX's on the dip stick.

I drain the oil and dump in 1.25L of Castrol GPS. Still not on the stick. I slowly add the remaining Litre of oil, only to have the oil barely show up on the dipstick.

None of its running out on the ground.... where is all this oil going?

• AZ45

Posted April 04, 2007 - 06:00 AM

What kind of bike?

• IchWarriorMkII

Posted April 04, 2007 - 06:05 AM

Narf on my part.

07 WR450F

• msgbean

Posted April 04, 2007 - 06:28 AM

After the first quart you need to start it up to get it pumped into the oil tank. Its definatly over filled now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted April 04, 2007 - 06:29 AM

Narf on my part.

07 WR450F

You have so grossly overfilled the bike with two liters you could cause damage. You are going to start blowing oil out of the breather into the air box if you don't pop a seal before. Drain all the oil out and only put 1 liter (max) back in (assuming you drained the filter cavity too), otherwise a little less (1 quart).

• IchWarriorMkII

Posted April 04, 2007 - 06:31 AM

Right, I haven't started the bike...

So when does the oil level *ever* show up on the dip stick?

And the book quoted 1.25Litres for an oil change +filter

• WR_Jason

Posted April 04, 2007 - 07:49 AM

You have to run the bike to get the oil up into the tank after you fill it.

• IchWarriorMkII

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:30 AM

I was slowly working to that conclusion.

Thanks, Ill drain 750ml out and crank it up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.